Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

Just now, Vrbn13 said:

do you think they use chairs for athletes?  as well as the closure of Rio 2016.

Of course, that's one way to keep them socially distanced.  What's the point of having empty seats and NOT use them?  The alternative to have them all clomped up in the infield (when I guess there will only be 5,000-6,000 if that -- will make for a very sparse mass on the infield.  Might as well usher them to the seats to make it less obvious that this will probably be the LOWEST attended OC by the athletes -- and for good reason.  

21 hours ago, Vrbn13 said:

do you think they use chairs for athletes?  as well as the closure of Rio 2016.

Using chairs in the field, reduces a lot the space for the show. Nevertheless, the spectacle always continue in a reduced space after the parade of nations...

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hmmmm.  I doubt that's genuine "Ceremony" music.  It doesn't sound like any "ceremonial" music that's ever been used.  And look who posted it.  A kid.  Further, it doesn't sound Japanese-y at all. 

From the official Tokyo 2020 YouTube account, showing how the victory ceremony elements came to be:

21 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hmmmm.  I doubt that's genuine "Ceremony" music.  It doesn't sound like any "ceremonial" music that's ever been used.  And look who posted it.  A kid.  Further, it doesn't sound Japanese-y at all. 

That music was unveiled last few weeks ago together with the official podium and medal plate. That is the official tokyo 2020 victory ceremony music.

2 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

This may end up being the worst Opening ceremony ever :( 

Nothing can be like Sydney or Beijing, you know.
Tokyo is going for something that's less expensive since the Japanese economy (and the world's economy in general) is going to **** after COVID came out of nowhere.

6 hours ago, Olympicman said:

That music was unveiled last few weeks ago together with the official podium and medal plate. That is the official tokyo 2020 victory ceremony music.

Victory?  But Olympic protocol dictates that the gold medal country's national anthem is played -- NOT some other piece of music.  Even Russia has designated like 24 bars -- I think -- of one of Tschiakowsky's pieces as their substitute "anthem" since any official Russian emblems, parapharnelia are still banned.  Maybe this piece was played in the unveiling of those items -- but certainly will not be played at the Moment of Glory for an athlete.  

And if it's an athlete from the Refugee Team, it will be the Olympic Anthem.  

This is just a generic "theme" that TOCOG is using in all its build-up pieces but will NOT be played at the actual Medal Awarding ceremonies.  

ALso, neuneu, why do you keep posting photos of Olympic Stadium?  What is so special about your continuing posts?  Of course, they're doing things over there at OS -- but your shots DON'T reveal anything significant.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Even though the opening ceremony may look projection based, I seriously hope the organisers can make a spectacle out of minimal choices they have. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Victory?  But Olympic protocol dictates that the gold medal country's national anthem is played -- NOT some other piece of music.  Even Russia has designated like 24 bars -- I think -- of one of Tschiakowsky's pieces as their substitute "anthem" since any official Russian emblems, parapharnelia are still banned.  Maybe this piece was played in the unveiling of those items -- but certainly will not be played at the Moment of Glory for an athlete.  

And if it's an athlete from the Refugee Team, it will be the Olympic Anthem.  

This is just a generic "theme" that TOCOG is using in all its build-up pieces but will NOT be played at the actual Medal Awarding ceremonies.  

ALso, neuneu, why do you keep posting photos of Olympic Stadium?  What is so special about your continuing posts?  Of course, they're doing things over there at OS -- but your shots DON'T reveal anything significant.  

Each olympics has its own victory ceremony music, and yes  the gold medalist's country anthem will be played after they are awarded. The victory ceremony music is played as background music during awarding. Try searching for victory ceremony music of (sochi, pyeongchang, beijing, vancouver :)

33 minutes ago, Olympicman said:

Each olympics has its own victory ceremony music, and yes  the gold medalist's country anthem will be played after they are awarded. The victory ceremony music is played as background music during awarding. Try searching for victory ceremony music of (sochi, pyeongchang, beijing, vancouver :)

Oh, background music.  But on TV, the commentators are usually talking over it and providing context.  So it's really a PRE-Awarding underscore. 

But to me and I would think to the athlete, the main point is their ANTHEM -- not some hocus-pocusy, heavenly music which would seem to hijack the moment of glory for the athlete(s) and would have to be turned down quickly anyway to make room for the anthem - right?  

I guess what gets me is how trivial it is -- but some guys here just make it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I just don't get the excitement over what is essentially background music. 

9 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, background music.  But on TV, the commentators are usually talking over it and providing context.  So it's really a PRE-Awarding underscore. 

But to me and I would think to the athlete, the main point is their ANTHEM -- not some hocus-pocusy, heavenly music which would seem to hijack the moment of glory for the athlete(s) and would have to be turned down quickly anyway to make room for the anthem - right?  

I guess what gets me is how trivial it is -- but some guys here just make it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I just don't get the excitement over what is essentially background music. 

Yes it will be turned down during the anthem , here's a sample in 2012 (listen to the music)

The sochi victory ceremony