Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

4 hours ago, Palette86 said:

Little bit off of flow of recent discussion.

Here's a link to rewatch closing ceremony.https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/replay/a10fea3d-d768-48ef-bba6-f94ed63c7d34/closing-ceremony

Probably,full video.

It's is the full replay of CC.

By the way. you can find many CEREMONIES replays on Olympic Channel site:

- Innsbruck 1976

- Moscow 1980

- Both opening and closing cremoies Seoul 1988

- Albertville

- Lillehammer

• Like 1

Sad to see Mikiko's plans dashed. So extravagant. They really should make a 3D video or simulation for Youtube showing that particular concept

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PikyoK said:

Sad to see Mikiko's plans dashed. So extravagant. They really should make a 3D video or simulation for Youtube showing that particular concept

Why?  There are loads of other Olympic ceremonial ideas that never saw fruition.  I wasn't particularly impressed.  Just because she was the first to flesh them out, doesn't mean it was the best.  What will a failed scenario really serve?  I think the storyboarding is documentation enough of the initial visions.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why?  There are loads of other Olympic ceremonial ideas that never saw fruition.

Maybe but I haven't seen this much sadness and anger from the community over the failed idea. I'm just suggesting another way for this concept to be well known over the world as this could've been the actual concept had the pandemic never happened.

1 hour ago, PikyoK said:

Maybe but I haven't seen this much sadness and anger from the community over the failed idea. I'm just suggesting another way for this concept to be well known over the world as this could've been the actual concept had the pandemic never happened.

True.  But it wasn't. So, how does that serve anything?  Groupies here are or will soon be focused on what Zhang Yimou will hatch for 2022.  Then, it's on to Paris. 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:58 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

True.  But it wasn't. So, how does that serve anything?  Groupies here are or will soon be focused on what Zhang Yimou will hatch for 2022.  Then, it's on to Paris. 

Wait, Yimou's been appointed to do it all again for 2022?

Also I could see Valentin Petit (director of the Ride film for the handover) or another well-known French artist or film director being chosen for 2024.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

There are loads of other Olympic ceremonial ideas that never saw fruition. 

Yep, I want to see those animated too! Bring on that Bull-Dove "Picasso moment" in Barcelona you mentioned in your book. ;) 

As an aside, I wish producers would showcase the creative process further, as many agencies do when they reveal new logo and branding work. For example:

Back to the point, Tokyo 2020 is a rare case where I think there is enough public demand, an obvious-enough raison d'être, where a professionally-produced retrospective animation of the original ceremony plans could be a fruitful endeavor (depends on the tone and messaging in the presentation).

That said, if Dentsu is the kind of the company, powerful and well-connected as people say they are.. no way I can see it actually happening lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SeriousPotato said:

Tokyo 2020 is a rare case where I think there is enough public demand, an obvious-enough raison d'être, where a professionally-produced retrospective animation of the original ceremony plans could be a fruitful endeavor (depends on the tone and messaging in the presentation).

That said, if Dentsu is the kind of the company, powerful and well-connected as people say they are.. no way I can see it actually happening lol.

16 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I'm sure it can happen if copyright matters are cleared and there is someone to foot the bill. 

Let's hope that's the case. ^_^

On 8/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, Nacholympic said:

This forum was down for some days!!!!

I am back again... I thought I was never going to see you again, guys!!!!

:blink::wacko::unsure:

Well we've got the Paralympics to discuss.

The concepts for the Paralympic ceremonies have been revealed.

The opening ceremony concept is "We Have Wings", the concept aims to raise awareness of the courage of Paralympians who are trying to spread their wings "no matter which way the wind blows".

And the closing ceremony concept is "Harmonious Cacophony". It acknowledges diversity among people and transforming their differences into a shared unity.

Finally, here's a sneak peek at what's to come. Why do I think the propellers are a reference to Doraemon? Maybe he'll make an appearance?

4 minutes ago, Palette86 said:

Part of the rehearsal was unveiled to the public today. (Evening news by Fuji TV)

Looks a lot more fun than the Olympic ceremonies!
Paralympic ceremonies really have a lot more fun and entertainment than the Olympic ones.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Very MIKIKO-like.

indeed. i'm impressed. There have been instances where the Paralympic Ceremonies seemed better than the Olympic counterparts. Some people said that the PyeongChang Paralympic Ceremonies were better than the Olympic ones. I think they were great (on par). looking forward to tomorrow.

Wow! It definitely looks much promising than the Olympic ceremonies.. this is the very case than the Paralympic ceremony will be better than the Olympic one.

In Rio some parts were a lot more fun than the the Olympics, and in Pyeongchang it was better although it may be arguably... this time I think it will have only a verdict...