Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not gonna happen.  That means the CCP will have acceded to the virus they created.  The tone of Beijing 2022 will be that the "virus" of 2020-21 will have been vanquished by February 2022!  Xi and his gov't have made their offering to their godless gods!! 

No but I expect the CCP to "pull a Qatar" and require all spectators and athletes to be fully vaccinated in order to attend the Olympics next year. Qatar has already told FIFA all teams and spectators at the WC next year must be fully vaccinated.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Actually, there may be like 250 people there: the 100 or so IOC members, the Imperial Japanese party; high officials of Japan and Tokyo; sponsors, and some foreign VIPs like US First Lady Jill Biden who will go.  The Marching music will be MORE IMPORTANT than ever.  Maybe remaining Games volunteers might get treated to a 3rd viewing of the OC.  

The CLosing will be even more ghost-like when MANY athletes will already have gone home.  

Then after that, the torch relay for Beijing 2022 starts.

10 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

Anyways, any new pics of testing in the stadium or the stage?
Rehearsal footage maybe?

Nothing yet and I check Instagram daily. Don't expect much info when spectators have been fully banned and the games are universally hated by the japanese population, so it's normal the interest is extremely low.

14 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

The games are universally hated by the Japanese population

Apparently, the haters were mostly left wingers. I actually read an Japanese-language article about the right and the left supporting the Games days ago and apparently according to a pool, the left wanted to cancel the games while the right wanted the games to go on as usual. I cannot find the link but I recall reading this.

Is it the Games are hated or is it the way in which the Government is handling the pandemic is hated? Because the narrative here is that the Japanese are pissed with the Government in the handling of the pandemic and still chose to host the Games.  Because to me... with the low vaccination rate, it sounds like the Japanese Government is doing a terrible job with vaccine distribution.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 2

I don't know what things were like before the virus hit ( @Palette86?) but it does look from afar like this is all about the context of hosting the Olympics during a pandemic in an extremely low vaccinated country (why is the vaccination so bad there, I'm very surprised at that), and then having to basically remove almost everything that makes the Olympics worth having because of the danger of spreading the virus in an unvaccinated population. With hindsight the IOC probably should've postponed by two years, if not regretfully cancelled the cycle and bumped Tokyo to 24 or 32. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I don't know what things were like before the virus hit ( @Palette86?) but it does look from afar like this is all about the context of hosting the Olympics during a pandemic in an extremely low vaccinated country (why is the vaccination so bad there, I'm very surprised at that), and then having to basically remove almost everything that makes the Olympics worth having because of the danger of spreading the virus in an unvaccinated population. With hindsight the IOC probably should've postponed by two years, if not regretfully cancelled the cycle and bumped Tokyo to 24 or 32. 

Take a look at the 2019 Rugby World Cup. A picture has a thousand words.

42 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Is it the Games are hated or is it the way in which the Government is handling the pandemic is hated? Because the narrative here is that the Japanese are pissed with the Government in the handling of the pandemic and still chose to host the Games.  Because to me... with the low vaccination rate, it sounds like the Japanese Government is doing a terrible job with vaccine distribution.

It is the way the government was handling the pandemic. 

34 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Also, the government does not want anyone to leak the ceremonies. Before the Olympics (and ant other sporting events too), the organizers had warned everyone not to leak the ceremonies because of legal reasons.

Yeah, ALL the governments and organizing committees say that. But we've usually got a better grasp two weeks out. 

4 hours ago, WD96 said:

Apparently, the haters were mostly left wingers. I actually read an Japanese-language article about the right and the left supporting the Games days ago and apparently according to a pool, the left wanted to cancel the games while the right wanted the games to go on as usual. I cannot find the link but I recall reading this.

Funny thing, a lot of right wing people also hate the games, seeing it as an expression of Multiculturalism/Globalism and as an attempt by the secret illuminati government to subvert Japan (they actually believe this crap), being relieved tourists wouldn't come to their country when it was announced no foreigners were allowed. And Japan is known for being an extremely conservative country.

4 hours ago, Anthony said:

Bureaucracy is the illness which has been making Japan fall behind China and SK. They take an eternity to make decisions, even if they're fast after they make them, its still a lot of wasted time.

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Funny thing, a lot of right wing people also hate the games, seeing it as an expression of Multiculturalism/Globalism and as an attempt by the secret illuminati government to subvert Japan (they actually believe this crap), being relieved tourists wouldn't come to their country when it was announced no foreigners were allowed. And Japan is known for being an extremely conservative country.

Concerns aside, at least we are more team uniforms that were unveiled.

4 hours ago, Hightowerio86 said:

So get used to these scenes on your TVs for the next 2 weeksImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Back to this forum after so many years.

What a waste to see empty seats.  Actually if can allow 1000++ local fans would be good.  Saw some baseball matches in Japan TV stations, are with spectators.  Wonder why double standard as such, as long as SOP is followed properly.

2 hours ago, DesmondChan said:

Back to this forum after so many years.

What a waste to see empty seats.  Actually if can allow 1000++ local fans would be good.  Saw some baseball matches in Japan TV stations, are with spectators.  Wonder why double standard as such, as long as SOP is followed properly.

It's for safety reasons, it would not be very good if people are sick. The organizing committee conducted a test back in May regarding competitions without spectators.

Also, what a suprise comeback, what just happened to you while on hiatus?

11 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

Possibly something very French.

I know the name Decoufle might cause cringe among some people in this board but I always liked his work in Albertville. something similar but with today's technology would be great.

10 hours ago, yoshi said:

What is on that flag? Looks like random blocks and numbers...

Maybe a sneak peak of their Look? who knows

10 minutes ago, WD96 said:

Pretty nice they choosed an internationally known musician for the handover. Woodkid also shown an extract of the music at the end of the interview which you can hear here:

https://twitter.com/franceinter/status/1413375652464664576?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1413375652464664576|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Factu.fr%2Fauvergne-rhone-alpes%2Flyon_69123%2Fle-lyonnais-woodkid-choisi-pour-realiser-la-musique-de-passation-des-jo-entre-tokyo-et-paris_43340913.html