Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

https://www.francsjeux.com/breves/a-smaller-japanese-delegation-at-the-opening-ceremony

A smaller Japanese delegation at the opening ceremony

As the host nation, Japan seems determined to set an example at the Tokyo Games. According to a National Olympic Committee official quoted by Kyodo News, it has been decided that only athletes residing in the village at the time of the opening ceremony, on Friday, July 23rd, will be allowed to march into the Olympic Stadium. The same will apply to the closing ceremony on Sunday, August 8th. As the organisers have limited the length of the stay in the athletes’ village to five days prior to the start of the competition and then only two days after the end of the event, Japanese wrestlers and track and field athletes in particular will not be allowed to march in the opening ceremony. Swimmers and judokas will not be allowed to attend the closing ceremony. An exception will be made for the two flag bearers, basketball player Rui Hachimura and wrestler Yui Susaki. The Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) has reportedly already informed the national sports federations. The Japanese delegation is expected to include around 580 athletes at the Tokyo Games.

Tokyo Olympic ceremonies to be extended by 30 minutes due to COVID

The opening ceremony of this month's Tokyo Olympics has been extended by 30 minutes as part of measures to enhance the safety of athletes amid the coronavirus pandemic, the games organizing committee said Friday.

The committee said it has changed the schedule to have the ceremony end at 11:30 p.m. because the extra time will be needed for athletes to march in the National Stadium, with enough physical distancing between them.

The opening ceremony on July 23 was originally set to take place for three hours from 8 p.m.

Date:July 2,2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210702/p2g/00m/0sp/081000c

• Like 1

Generally speaking the Opening Ceremony is extended by more than 4 hours...

if the time scheduled for this ceremony is 3 hours it means the artistic segments will be very short.

In Athens it lasted 45 minutes aprox. (The shortest one)

I think Sydney was one of the (or THE) longest one.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, Palette86 said:

Date:July 2,2021

News source:The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210702/p2g/00m/0sp/081000c

They're doing this -- sort of because Covid will thin the ranks of athletes attending.  They will be lucky if they get 6,000 athletes to march in.  Because it will be thinner ranks, it would generally be a faster and shorter March-Athletes section.  But also, with many volunteers quitting, I bet the Artistic portion is also being shortened -- but they are telling no one.  So overall, they are "extending" the Official time for 30 mins "more" supposedly, so they can insert MORE commercials for the telecasts.  That's the reason it's happening -- not because of Covid.  

With only 20,000 spectators in the stands, boy, the cheers and applause will also be soooo THIN -- they're going to have to disguise that too, with ampped-up "canned cheers."  Wow, what a FAKE Opening Ceremony this is going to be.  (Sorry, Palette).  

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 4:01 AM, Nacholympic said:

Generally speaking the Opening Ceremony is extended by more than 4 hours...

if the time scheduled for this ceremony is 3 hours it means the artistic segments will be very short.

In Athens it lasted 45 minutes aprox. (The shortest one)

I think Sydney was one of the (or THE) longest one.

I liked Sydney ceremony but to be honest it becomes kinda tedious to rewatch today given how super long it was. Maybe it was part of the reason why they made it shorter for Athens. Also I don't have issues if the artistic segment is only 45-50 minutes, its more than enough time to do something good.

5 hours ago, BigVic said:

Beijing 2008's Closing Ceremony ended at 9:57PM CST and lasted just under 2hrs. 

I remember Bejing closing to be mostly protocolar, the artistic segments were extremely short and unmemorable, you can tell they poured almost all the budget for the opening ceremony alone.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They're doing this -- sort of because Covid will thin the ranks of athletes attending.  They will be lucky if they get 6,000 athletes to march in.  Because it will be thinner ranks, it would generally be a faster and shorter March-Athletes section.  But also, with many volunteers quitting, I bet the Artistic portion is also being shortened -- but they are telling no one.  So overall, they are "extending" the Official time for 30 mins "more" supposedly, so they can insert MORE commercials for the telecasts.  That's the reason it's happening -- not because of Covid.  

With only 20,000 spectators in the stands, boy, the cheers and applause will also be soooo THIN -- they're going to have to disguise that too, with ampped-up "canned cheers."  Wow, what a FAKE Opening Ceremony this is going to be.  (Sorry, Palette).  

Whine all you want about this being a Fake ceremony but the current times demand this and i'm sure the world has more important priorities than having a pharaonic extravaganza. If you want showbiz you have Beijing 2022 for that since the fuckers don't give a damn about anything and are laughing at the face of the world at this point.

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I am NOT whining.  I am just stating the true situation.  It is what it is -- and DON'T you think I understand the circumstances under which this is happening?  :rolleyes:  I don't know why you are so antagonistic.  

I am not being antagonistic (unlike someone I won’t name). And I do understand what is going on, only that it seems you care more for the cheers in an event for which japanese people feel very awkward to cheer about when their health system is about to collapse. Its not just about the commercials you mention. Not every channel in the world is the NBC (and thank god for that).

Anyway....a bit of a mangled translation but some of the decisions the japanese government took recently regarding spectators

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6bdb1b6c433850749ca7270fcc4948da14af0cb1

[Original] The opening ceremony is adjusted by no spectators. Watching the "Olympic Family" is acceptable.

The government has entered into final adjustments for the spectators of the Tokyo Olympics, with the opening ceremony and large-scale venues held at the National Stadium as "no spectators" and the other small venues as "spectators" conditionally. It was. Regarding the "separate quota" of officials and sponsors such as the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which is said to have about 10,000 people at the opening ceremony, the policy is to compress as much as possible before admitting admission. Several government officials have revealed. Officials such as the government and the Games Organizing Committee shared these policies on the 5th. "No spectators" are for nighttime competitions after 21:00 and large-scale venues with 50% of the capacity of 5,000 or more. For venues that do not reach this scale, adjustments will be made to accommodate spectators conditionally. Only up to 50% of the capacity is expected to be attended by spectators, and it is expected that competitions will take measures against infection without having to re-lottery again. The "Olympic family" such as the IOC members, diplomatic officials from each country, and sponsors are going to allow watching the game as a separate frame. The opening ceremony will also be open to the public. Some people in the government are worried about whether the separate "special treatment" will gain public understanding, and want to narrow down the number of attendees to hundreds.

16 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

I am not being antagonistic (unlike someone I won’t name). And I do understand what is going on, only that it seems you care more for the cheers in an event for which japanese people feel very awkward to cheer about when their health system is about to collapse. Its not just about the commercials you mention. Not every channel in the world is the NBC (and thank god for that).

Yeah! I think NBCis the only channel in the world which interrupts the ceremonies with commercials that makes it, by far, the worst TV covering on Earth. Watching LA ‘84 OC which is on youtube is really unbearable! (despite it was ABC)

Besides that, the Games broadcast are also made on the Internet and the best covering is, indeed, on internet platforms. In Latin America (except Brazil) we have the option to see the games on the internet for free and with different options: different channels at once, with and without commentaries, on demand or live. Since 2010 on Terra platform and since 2014 on Marca Claro – Claro Sports platform which are really amazing!!! No TV at all is needed, indeed! Since July 1, Marca Claro has started to broadcast previous Olympic competitions in 4 different channels on YouTube. Marca Claro- Claro Sports has the complete rights for Latin America (except Brazil) and TV channels have to negotiate with them. You have different options to watch: Marca Claro official platform, youtube channel and even Facebook where I saw most of the PyeongChang and Buenos Aires 2018 Olympics. In short: NBC completely sucks!!!! … And the games are not made just for NBC.

I think this time we’ll have few or no speak peeks of the OC: Having no foreign spectators and with a smaller audience, the Japanese discipline won’t allow hidden shots of the rehearsals to be leaked on the internet as we could see for London, Sochi and Rio (not for PyeongChang) They’ll keep the secret until the end!

Will be there public for dress rehearsals???

Just now, Nacholympic said:

I think this time we’ll have few or no *speak peeks of the OC: Having no foreign spectators and with a smaller audience, the Japanese discipline won’t allow hidden shots of the rehearsals to be leaked on the internet as we could see for London, Sochi and Rio (not for PyeongChang) They’ll keep the secret until the end!

Will be there public for dress rehearsals???

*Sneak peeks...

5 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Just W O W ....what the hell is an opening without spectators....a TV entertainment special????

Indeed, we already knew that this Olmpics are just for TV audiences.

Copa America 2021 is being carried out with any spectators in the venues.... (and it's boring!)