Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

External cauldrons now are tradition. I like the idea of external cauldrons that started in Vancouver 2010.

For Pan Am Games in Lima the cauldron weas lit in the ceremony, but the cauldron was the one used in the torch relay and it as outside the Natonional Stadium where ceremonies were held.

I think won´t watch giant cauldrons at Atlanta, Sydney, Athens or Beijing style any more. Now, the tendency are small "economic" and environtmental cauldrons... But, please, not "toy" cauldrons at Napoli style!!!! NO WAY!!!!!

I'm still convinced that Rio never intended to have a flame cauldron at all, but to use the kinetic sculpture as an artistic substitute/environmental statement - until the IOC would've said there had to be a flame. Would explain the afterthought nature of the soup bowl on a stick that actually housed the flame, compared to the thought that'd gone into what was behind it. 

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

I'm still convinced that Rio never intended to have a flame cauldron at all, but to use the kinetic sculpture as an artistic substitute/environmental statement - until the IOC would've said there had to be a flame. Would explain the afterthought nature of the soup bowl on a stick that actually housed the flame, compared to the thought that'd gone into what was behind it. 

thats a good theory. 

On 6/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, yoshi said:

So does this all mean they're going with MIKIKO'S proposal after all, it wasn't rejected but just leaked? Would explain why nothing else escaped beyond those few pages...

On 6/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, Ikarus360 said:

It actually doesn't look exactly like Mikiko proposal. There are some similarities but its clearly different.

MIKIKO or Sasaki...this cauldron probably keeping almost same.I mean,this is an unchangeable piece of the opening ceremony.Not sure team Sasaki without him modified her proposal or made a brand new plan.This is an old article in English about "olympig affair"https://unseenjapan.com/the-olympig-controversy-explained/ and there's leaked SNS message by Sasaki.You may be able to imagine what he was suggesting for ceremony.

I’ve read the magazine "Bunshun".Mansai Nomura's proposal was very odd.He planned "flying tea testimony room" and "floating red sphere".Old Mori wanted kabuki star and sumo wrestler.

I'm not expecting so much for 23rd of July.:D

I hope they will not use too much floor projection, i mean Floor Projecrion is great but too much seems mediocre. Imagine, few persons on the stage being eaten by the projection. I hope theyll use huge props like london or sochi or by using harness, utilizing the space above and below, that completes the ceremony. I wonder how would they execute the rings this year.. anyways looking forward this 23rd!! 

7 hours ago, Olympicman said:

I hope they will not use too much floor projection, i mean Floor Projecrion is great but too much seems mediocre. Imagine, few persons on the stage being eaten by the projection. I hope theyll use huge props like london or sochi or by using harness, utilizing the space above and below, that completes the ceremony. I wonder how would they execute the rings this year.. anyways looking forward this 23rd!! 

An expensive ceremony is not what the Olympic movement nor the japanese people which are already very upset at these games need. Keep your expectations low. There will be many projections. And asking for many performers on stage in a pandemic like this is just insane.

• Thanks 1

If they are going to allow no more than 10,000 spectators for OC, I don't see how they can allow more than 8.000 athletes to march.  This will be a very simple OC -- very simple, symbolic -- LOTS OF PROJECTIONS because those do NOT REQUIRE live bodies there; and probably heavy on protocol.  I doubt they will get even 5,000 athletes to march in because many athletes competing late in the Games won't even get to Tokyo until 2 or 3 days before their event.  So these will probably be the shortest OC in the last 20 years.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

An expensive ceremony is not what the Olympic movement nor the japanese people which are already very upset at these games need. Keep your expectations low. There will be many projections. And asking for many performers on stage in a pandemic like this is just insane.

Yes i also agree to that, i also started to lower my expectations but who knows what tokyo can do. cant wait for the opening :)

Even before COVID, Olympic ceremonies were relying more and more on projections.

The last ceremony to use large scale props and people would have been Sochi 2014 and Beijing 2008 the last to use mass people.

I doubt that we will see mass people ceremonies like Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney again. This is a sad realisation.

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

mcb2106221041009-p1.jpg

I wonder what those dots on the horizontal sides of the stadium are for? Fireworks I'm guessing.

2 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

Even before COVID, Olympic ceremonies were relying more and more on projections.

The last ceremony to use large scale props and people would have been Sochi 2014 and Beijing 2008 the last to use mass people.

I doubt that we will see mass people ceremonies like Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney again. This is a sad realisation.

Vancouver, London, Rio and PyeongChang all used projections in their ceremonies. 

4 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

I doubt that we will see mass people ceremonies like Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney again. 

It would be foolhardy to do something like that during a pandemic specially where like, what? 10% of the population has been vaccinated AND like 60% of the local populace do NOT WANT THE EVENT to even take place.  It would make the IOC look like they are following some sort of delusional Trumpian playbook.  

Because of Covid, Tokyo's OC might allow the athletes to sit in the stands early on.  #1 - For a 65,000 seater, there will be 55,000 empty seats.  Why not just have the athletes come in early -- seat them distanced -- and let them enjoy the show?  Of course, that will be in the "A" sections.   This might be a new FIRST for a Summer OC.  

#2 - NBC has said they will broadcast the OC "live" in the US in the a.m. -- another OC "first." 

So once again, even the Japanese spectators who paid for an "A" ticket, might not get their seat of choice -- but they would actually get a better view if demoted to a "B" location,  These things have a way of working out.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

A small correction: There will be actually a limit of 20.000 spectators for the opening ceremony. The 10.000 limit is for the rest of the events. Also they already said they did not set any limits for the number of athletes which will be marching but that their decision to take part or not in the parade will be up to them. Pretty sure many of them will be skipping it or using the unused seats in the Olympic Stadium. More info here: https://www.excite.co.jp/news/article/FNN_198731/

9.jpg?1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

A small correction: There will be actually a limit of 20.000 spectators for the opening ceremony. The 10.000 limit is for the rest of the events. Also they already said they did not set any limits for the number of athletes which will be marching but that their decision to take part or not in the parade will be up to them. Pretty sure many of them will be skipping it or using the unused seats in the Olympic Stadium. More info here: https://www.excite.co.jp/news/article/FNN_198731/

For the parade order, Australia would be marching behind the US and France before the host nation Japan with Brisbane 2032 to be announced in the days before the Opening Ceremony.