Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

The big question... will they mention the A-bomb?

Maybe they will, but I hope it's in a similar way that Sochi 2014 addressed the fall of the Soviet Union, though I did think the release of a balloon was a bit ridiculous as a symbol of the fall of the Soviet Union.

Addressing a message about atomic bomb disarment sounds like something you would do if you were hosting the games in the late stages of Cold War-early stages of post Cold War. Then again, considering what happened in Fukushima, they might try tying it with the A-Bomb and give us another enviromental lesson about the risks of using nuclear energy :P Who knows. 

Japan hosted the 1994 Asian Games in Hiroshima. I've wanted to see the complete ceremony for a good while though apparently, besides starting the torch relay in Ground Zero, having two doves of peace as mascots and including expositions about the risks of nuclear weapons in the cultural events through the games, they didn't talked much about the bombs in the show.

On 12/08/2016 at 8:32 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Then again, considering what happened in Fukushima, they might try tying it with the A-Bomb and give us another enviromental lesson about the risks of using nuclear energy

They'd be conflating entirely different subjects, though.

With London and Rio establishing a trend of movie directors producing the ceremonies, will we see Takeshi Kitano (one of Japan most important filmmakers known for his Yakuza works) directing the Opening Ceremony?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeshi_Kitano

You might know him as the host of the popular (and bizarre) TV show, Takeshi Castle

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

IOC will not allow it.  

They did in '64 (at least by choice of cauldron lighter). I don't see why the IOC would ban it if it's a case of a "never again - give peace a chance, all we need is love" type message.

Edited by Sir Rols

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

They did in '64 (at least by choice of cauldron lighter). I don't see why the IOC would ban it if it's a case of a "never again - give peace a chance, all we need is love" type message.

But the background of Sakai was just incidental.  I mean it was just going to be a "by-the-way" factoid rather than the main story.  

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But the background of Sakai was just incidental.  I mean it was just going to be a "by-the-way" factoid rather than the main story.  

The mere fact it was him chosen was to make a statement. Nothing otherwise noteworthy about him.

Well guys, we're going to have to eat up our words. We've just witnessed one of the best handovers ever just now. I'm also surprised they didn't shied away from showing cultural icons like Captain Tsubasa and Doraemon (the little guy on my avatar :lol: ) . And Shinzo Abe as Mario was so bizarre and japanese.

Already eager for their ceremonies in 2020! What do you guys think of the handover?

For me it felt a bit more natural than QEII since she seemed kinda cranky after that scene and during the Opening :lol: though I wonder if Abe will still be PM during the games (he seems to be rather popular in Japan right now, though). 

50 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

For me it felt a bit more natural than QEII since she seemed kinda cranky after that scene and during the Opening :lol: though I wonder if Abe will still be PM during the games (he seems to be rather popular in Japan right now, though). 

I believe that the LDP limits its leaders to only two three-year terms, so presumably, Abe would step down in 2018. (Unless he resigns earlier, which wouldn't be the most shocking thing considering this is Japan...)

Loved the handover. I need to watch it again. They crammed the Tokyo 2020 into it too many times but it was funny, stylish & cool. It had it all.

The Mario thing was inspired. I bet Lizzie was saying "Been there done that" though.

9.5/10. Really looking forward to the 2020 games. Im determined to be there

Edited by daveypodmore

2 minutes ago, daveypodmore said:

The Mario thing was inspired. I bet Lizzie was saying "Been there done that" though.

Not quite, as the Queen played herself. If she came in dressed up as Mary Poppins or, I dunno, the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang you'd be correct ;)

In essence, what we've learnt is that James Bond is real, and the Prime Minister of Japan is a fictional video game character.

• Like 2

The next games promo was best i seen from all once i remember and oldest i remember is salt lake city, and it's not just Japanese pop culture over all artistic composition and music looked a lot better. I think they overtake Rio in quality just in those 10 minutes and if it lose that, they can do opening ceremony better then Beijing which is widely considered the best opening.

Also for those who didn't recognize as it's not quite know worldwide, the football anime character they used is Captain Tsubasa, which i think it best football manga ever made.. i think. It's highly recognizable in some European countries (including Poland ^^) as it was airing in 90s there via some italian dub production and if i'm not mistaken (and it's probably reason why they choose that over all sport anime they have) it was also airing in south america as i seen videos of Spanish dub

• Like 1

It's a pity we don't have more Japanese members here to tell us how the handover was received over there. Did they like it, or was it too stereotyped? (I say that, because I remember one of the few Japanese to come on here and post in the closing days of the 2020 race said most of the comments we were making about manga and such were stereotyped).

I hope @Palette86 comes on at some stage to give us in idea of what the public in Japan thought.

Edited by Sir Rols

4 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It's a pity we don't have more Japanese members here to tell us how the handover was received over there. Did they like it, or was it too stereotyped? (I say that, because I remember one of the few Japanese to come on here and post in the closing days of the 2020 race said most of the comments we were making about manga and such were stereotyped).

I hope Palette comes on at some stage to give us in idea of what the public in Japan thought.

Well, I don't know which was the opinion of the majority but many seem to have liked it, plus Shina Ringo is very known and liked over there. I already saw some on Pixiv drawing fanart of the moment with both Mario and Doraemon.

1 hour ago, Shadowriver said:

The next games promo was best i seen from all once i remember and oldest i remember is salt lake city, and it's not just Japanese pop culture over all artistic composition and music looked a lot better. I think they overtake Rio in quality just in those 10 minutes and if it lose that, they can do opening ceremony better then Beijing which is widely considered the best opening.

Also for those who didn't recognize as it's not quite know worldwide, the football anime character they used is Captain Tsubasa, which i think it best football manga ever made.. i think. It's highly recognizable in some European countries (including Poland ^^) as it was airing in 90s there via some italian dub production and if i'm not mistaken (and it's probably reason why they choose that over all sport anime they have) it was also airing in south america as i seen videos of Spanish dub

Captain Tsubasa, much like Doraemon, is very beloved in Japan. It helped boost the popularity of football over there to the point they created the J League some years later, won their first AFC Cup in 1992 and finally qualified for a World Cup in 1998. The manga is still ongoing to this day. Over here it was known as Super Campeones and in Spain as Oliver & Benji.

Speaking of Spain, Iniesta is a huge fan of the show to the point he was wearing the shirt of Oliver's New Team on many ocassions (including one right after they won the WC in 2010)