Rome 2024 Targets Paris; Los Angeles 2024 Addresses Security

GBModerator

On Tuesday, Italian Premier Matteo Renzi said he was counting on a victory for Rome’s 2024 Olympic Games bid. “We will win the Olympics, I say we can do it,” he said at an awards ceremony. “We know the rival is Paris, but I believe in us.  I think all the conditions are in place to […]

View the full article

Lmfao, both Matteo & Viktor are hysterical! :-D

"We haven't won anything yet but some of our rivals have already pulled out. Last year the problem was Boston & now it's not there anymore."

Yeah, now you have an even bigger problem by the name of L.A.! Helloooo, Renzi!! Lmfao!!!

"We want to organize the first 'Central Eastern' Europe Olympics."

Hahahaha, okay, Orban! But what about the Central Southwestern/Northeastern European Olympics first!! *rolleyes*

:rolleyes:

I found the "we haven't won anything" comment hilarious. And the fact they pointed out that Boston and Hamburg are no longer there means they believe they'll win just because they'll be there to the end. Like LA or Paris plan on dropping out lol

I hope their rhetoric gets negative and controversial. It certainly helped Paris in 2012!

What did they say?

Some members of the Roman bid committee, in particular Primo Nebiolo, pretty much bad-mouthed the Greeks every chance he could get. You could say that Jacques Chirac's comments back in 2005 were diplomatic in comparison. Needless to say, that it didn't do the Italians any favors.

Any references to Paris perceived security (thiny veiled or explicit) in the wake of the attacks is a very slippery sloap for the Italians for a number of reasons :

- all Olympic hosts are potential targets by virtue of being Olympic hosts.

- Paris could gain some degree of sentimental support (I know Madrid and NYC didn't, but they weren't front runners)

- Rome is continually referenced by ISIS as the pinnacle enemy .

So they should just keep quiet and respectful.

There must be a full mediterranean arrogance in highsight. Athens 1996 was full of that and a sense of entitlement of "We must have the Centenary Games", then Rome 2004 and somehow Madrid 2016 and 2020...

Interesting observation - and perhaps reflective of a cultural difference within Europe. The IOC is very much anchored within Anglo/Franco/Northern European values which tend to expect zero self inflation with these things- but we have seen numerous Med bid cities flounder in the face of brash hot headedness- the Madrid bids, Rome 2004 (& 2020?), Athens 96,

Why the hell do people keep calling Madrid a Mediterranean city when they're over 200 miles away from the Mediterranean sea??? It's a landlocked city and there is a noticeable difference in culture from their most popular Mediterranean city, Barcelona.They're like Chicago and Miami in comparison, or even Chicago and LA in comparison.

Whether right or wrong, perception is everything. Rome is probably just as far from the Mediterranean Sea as Madrid is, since it's practically off the shores of the Tyrrhenian Sea, but many would still classify Rome as a Mediterranean city, too. IDK why you always get so wound up about that every time it gets referenced as such.

I'd say that the cultural differences between Chicago & Miami or Los Angeles are much greater than the ones between Madrid & Barcelona. Especially when Chicago to Miami is 1,400 miles & to Los Angeles it's even further at 2,000 miles. But I'm sure even as different as they are to us, many foreigners would classify all of them the same as "American" cities with "American" cultures.

Rome is probably just as far from the Mediterranean Sea as Madrid is, since it's practically off the shores of the Tyrrhenian Sea,

this is a dumb point that means absolutely nothing. wikipedia says barcelona isn't mediterranean either, it's in the balearic sea.

the whole thing is obviously the mediterranean :rolleyes:

I agree Rome shouldn't be bragging already and trying to pick on Paris about the security issues but we already know the bad reputation France has when it comes to being arrogant and pretentious (see 2005). Lets hope they don't fall on those old antics again and I can say Paris will win the sympathy of the people.

Why the hell do people keep calling Madrid a Mediterranean city when they're over 200 miles away from the Mediterranean sea??? It's a landlocked city and there is a noticeable difference in culture from their most popular Mediterranean city, Barcelona.They're like Chicago and Miami in comparison, or even Chicago and LA in comparison.

Mediterranean Country: The Mediterranean countries are those that surround the Mediterranean Sea, which 75% of the coastline of Spain is on the Mediterranean Sea. Even if Madrid is a landlocked city, it's the capital of a country surronding by the Mediterranean Sea.

I said this, but I repeat, unless Barcelona and Catalonia became independent, both cities (Barcelona and Madrid) belong to the same country: Spain. And even with clear differences, culturally and politically speaking, both cities belong to the same cultural spectrum.

I agree Rome shouldn't be bragging already and trying to pick on Paris about the security issues but we already know the bad reputation France has when it comes to being arrogant and pretentious (see 2005). Lets hope they don't fall on those old antics again and I can say Paris will win the sympathy of the people.

Where did France act "arrogant & pretentious" back in 2005? And Jacques Chirac's slip of the tongue (when he thought his mic was off) doesn't really count.

If anything, the French were to blame for being a bit hands-off & trying to stick to the details of the bid & not trying to oversell themselves so as not to appear like they were being too arrogant (& that's how London wound up getting right over the hump). As a result, I think Paris 2012 suffered from a "damn if you do & damn if you don't" scenario.

Paris 2008 and Paris 2012 were much like England 2006 and England 2018. The earlier bids complacent and arrogant (for different reasons), the later ones far too keen not to be seen in that light and perhaps going too far in the other direction.

Although even if England 2018 did have a different attitude, we wouldn't have won us that World Cup as we know. But the attitude of the two English bids for the World Cup and the two French bids for the Olympics are weirdly paralleled.

Where did France act "arrogant & pretentious" back in 2005? And Jacques Chirac's slip of the tongue (when he thought his mic was off) doesn't really count.

If anything, the French were to blame for being a bit hands-off & trying to stick to the details of the bid & not trying to oversell themselves so as not to appear like they were being too arrogant (& that's how London wound up getting right over the hump). As a result, I think Paris 2012 suffered from a "damn if you do & damn if you don't" scenario.

Well i'm just saying, even the video presentation back in 2005 was so over the top and pretty much screamed "We're the best, pick us", while London was much more humane and intimate. It wasn't just Chirac. Case in point.

I agree with Rob. Annecy for example was more honest, but it was killed off by the extremly low support of the citizens and the fact it was competing with both PC and Munich.

All I see from that is just a regular, promotional bid video that could be from any other bid city. Perhaps you may be seeing something else from a personal POV. But I wouldn't label it as "over the top" & "screaming - we're the best, pick us". And I also definitely wouldn't say that Paris 2012 was 'arrogant' based on one promo video.

Well i'm just saying, even the video presentation back in 2005 was so over the top and pretty much screamed "We're the best, pick us", while London was much more humane and intimate. It wasn't just Chirac.

Oh C'mon, the criticism of Paris' 2012 presentation was it was grey and technocratic, and didn't have the emotional pull and message that got London over the line. If anything, Paris 2012 was the opposite of arrogant - they played it a bit too low key and carefully, on advice from IOC "insiders", so that they shouldn't be perceived as the too-cocky and arrogant front runners.

Spain is a Mediterranean nation, and it's closer to the Mediterranean than the Atlantic...closest major European capital with the exception of Athens and Rome.

Archived