Does anyone know where Scotguy is?

Hello everyone, Martin (Citius Altius Fortius) and I have been wondering for several months now where our forum buddy Andy, known here as "Scotguy" (http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/user/1598-scotguy/), has gone. He hasn't been active here on these boards since August and on his private Facebook profile, he hasn't even been active since May. He has never replied to or even read direct messages by Martin and me on Facebook and GamesBids.

So be both wondered whether anyone of you has a personal contact to Andy/"Scotguy" and knows whether he is alright. Any hint is appreciated!

Correction: So *we wondered...

• Like 1

:huh: Team,

I'm wondering if his Job at NZ Police moved into a more serious "frontline" role? (Going on what he mentioned some time back)

NZ Police forbid sworn staff to use social media in private...More to protect them from enquiring criminal eyes.

(I have an old college buddy who was on FB and after serving in the NZ Army, joined the Police and ended up protecting the Prime Minister!

The flipside to this is he had to remove all social media accounts including active forums.)

Was wondering during the recent Rugby WC why he didn't participate in chats especially after Scotland was so cruelly denied a place in the semifinals.

Edited by Alexjc

Thanks for the hint, Alex. But then I ask myself why Andy has kept his profiles on Facebook as well as here. He has simply gone inactive, but his profiles still exist and if any criminal would like to get personal information about him, that person might still check out Andy's profiles (even if I ask myself how much information a criminal can get from there, the information that can be found there is probably not very useful).

:huh: Team,

I'm wondering if his Job at NZ Police moved into a more serious "frontline" role? (Going on what he mentioned some time back)

NZ Police forbid sworn staff to use social media in private...More to protect them from enquiring criminal eyes.

(I have an old college buddy who was on FB and after serving in the NZ Army, joined the Police and ended up protecting the Prime Minister!

The flipside to this is he had to remove all social media accounts including active forums.)

Was wondering during the recent Rugby WC why he didn't participate in chats especially after Scotland was so cruelly denied a place in the semifinals.

But wouldn't he have just dropped a few hints to us if that were the case and why would it stop him posting here on Gamesbids?

It's possible he's just got distracted by someone or something else and/or maybe just lost interest. I just hope nothing untoward has happened to him but, unless someone on here knows someone who knows him, how can we find out?

Since you seem to know his full name, have you considered google searches to see if anything pops up? I know it's a bit over the top to do so, but if you really want to know the worst that could have happened would appear somewhere online.

OR also if he has his friends list set to public and you can see who all his friends are, perhaps browse a few of their profiles and see if there is anything that pops up during the days of his last posts.

Since you seem to know his full name, have you considered google searches to see if anything pops up? I know it's a bit over the top to do so, but if you really want to know the worst that could have happened would appear somewhere online.

OR also if he has his friends list set to public and you can see who all his friends are, perhaps browse a few of their profiles and see if there is anything that pops up during the days of his last posts.

jeez, someone's got experience in stalking an ex.

We are not even sure whether Andy/Scotguy stated his real name on Facebook. The strange thing is that we discovered a second Facebook profile under a wholly different name with some of the pictures he used on his "original" Facebook profile. So that doesn't necessarily mean that Andy was a faker, but the person behind the second Facebook profile can very well have stolen the pics from Andy's profile. However, this only shows that there's quite a mysterious and confusing situation around Scotguy. But if anyone of you had ever met him in person or at least knew where he might be, this would shed light on the whole thing.

We are not even sure whether Andy/Scotguy stated his real name on Facebook. The strange thing is that we discovered a second Facebook profile under a wholly different name with some of the pictures he used on his "original" Facebook profile. So that doesn't necessarily mean that Andy was a faker, but the person behind the second Facebook profile can very well have stolen the pics from Andy's profile. However, this only shows that there's quite a mysterious and confusing situation around Scotguy. But if anyone of you had ever met him in person or at least knew where he might be, this would shed light on the whole thing.

did you ask matty? he once alluded to some of this drama but i never followed up because, well frankly because i really don't care.

I think if the police thing would had been the case, he would at least left some hints or told some people in private about it, not just suddenly dissapearing. Either way I hope he's doing okay.

Some people just take leave. The way it goes.

• 6 months later...

To be perfectly honest: There are still very strong indications that there's still a catfish element involved. Or to make it more understandable for non-native English speakers like me (I first had to look up what "catfish" means in that context): After having got a hint by one of our fellow forum members, I am convinced that Scotguy created a fake personality in social media. And I really hate to say this, because I once trusted him and obviously was quite naive in doing so - and thus, he disappointed but also baffled me a lot.

Nevertheless, I hope that he returns to this forum as an active member, because he always made good and interesting contributions to the discussions here. And even if his name, his appearance and his biography probably are way different than he pretended to be, it won't alter the fact for me that as an Olympic aficionado, he's missed. So the bridges aren't burnt as far as I'm concerned, but I would prefer if we were perfectly honest with each other now.

And yes, I now made this statement publicly, while I could have as well contacted him personally first. But 1) I did that already in the past, and sadly, to no avail; and 2) I think that you guys - who gave a lot of good advice when Citius Altius Fortius and I were looking for Scotguy - deserve to know the truth.