9th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp

Hmmmm. It's been a bit of a slow time this year on old GamesBids. Can't say I've been very active myself. But still, couldn't let the year close without the site's annual Christmas and New Year celebration of graphic talent. So, welcome ladies and gentlemen of GamesBids, site founder Rob Livingstone and IOC President Thomas Bach, to my home town of Sydney for the launch of the Eighth edition of the Official GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp.

Olympic-Rainbow-1.jpg

Okay, I guess this kick-off is a week or so earlier than usual, but I didn't want to run the risk of someone **cough... Puppy... cough** stealing the thunder. But Thanksgiving is just around the corner, December (and Christmas) is nigh, and, well, I had the time on my hands to get it going today.

To introduce the theme for this year's comp, I'll hand over to Australia's own showtune chanteuse Caroline O'Connor to explain exactly what you're going to be putting your design minds to this year. Over to you Caroline....

Yep, as a tribute to the very first logo comp in the series, way back when Puppy kicked it off, and to go full circle, this year, (*almost) Anything Goes!

Basically, you get to choose the cities. It's simple! Pick a city or cities. Design a logo. Post it.

You can use any city at all with just one restriction - the only ones not in the mix are the ones that have already been featured, or won, a past GamesBids logo comp. So that means Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Sochi, Aomori, Dubai, Durban, Christchurch, New York City, Ostersund, Paris, Toronto, Bangkok, Melbourne and Tokyo are NOT eligible. But beyond that, let your imaginations or inclinations run wild - choose anything from Aachen to Addis Ababa or Zanzibar to Zermatt. You may want to try your hand at a previous real life host like Sydney, London or Beijing, or something totally new, like Liege or Raqqa. Let your inspiration or interests guide you. You may choose the same cities that other people have also chosen - no-one gets to "claim" a city as their own. It's always interesting to see how different people approach the same subject.

Everyone is allowed two official entries - one for the Summer Games of 2028 and one for the Winter Games of 2030. That said, you can try out and post up as many logo proposals as you want - you may want to get feedback for which of your designs are most popular or even run your own mini-poll to decide which ones you will ultimately submit. But by the end of the submission period, midnight December 31 Sydney time, you must nominate only one logo for either or each of 2028 or 2030 to go forward into the voting rounds. Alternatively, you may want to submit your logo/s privately to me, via pm, so it is a surprise come the "Big Reveal" in January. Early in the New Year, all official entries will be displayed for a period of time and voting will commence soon after. The voting procedures will depend on how many entries we get. I anticipate we’ll vote on this in the traditional “IOC Host City Selection” format, but will tailor the procedure to the numbers received. More on that when the time comes.

Oh... there's also going to be a special event taking place after the 2028 and 2030 comps wrap up. Again, more on that in January.

When voting starts, you will be judged on the quality of your design, not on which city will host. Your logo/s can either be absolutely abstract or have significance for your host city. With your submission include a brief explanation on what the logo means and how it would symbolise a Games in your city. You may also want to show us how it looks in various templates or situations, like posters, banners, apps, cups, t-shirts and keyrings. The Olympic rings are to be used in your designs - this is for a host city, not a bid city.

As usual, I will rule on any disputes. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Try to keep the spirit friendly.

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be keeping a close eye on proceedings, but otherwise will try and keep hands-off until the polling stages.

​Have fun, good luck, and dazzle us with your talent everyone!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh screw it, Here goes (Probably my best one yet) -

Concept -

The Logo is based off of Mardi Gras, A Celebration which held in New Orleans every year. The Middle of the Logo represents Mardi Gras beads which say 'NOLA 28'. The Fleur de lis represents New Orleans' French Culture and I added a feather-like border to add to that Mardi Gras Theme. On the left I have put 'XXXIV' to mark the edition of the Games and on the other I've put the Olympic Rings.

Whoops, looks like the upload didn't work, Here it is XD -

a7dd87a.png

I find the free for ll concept a little too much as well. It will just lead to confusion. I mean how does one judge a great abstract logo for one city against one that takes on the perfect characteristics of another? If we are doing that maybe just eliminate the city entirely and make it a generic sports logo comp?

I'd go with 3 options for Summer -

New Orleans USA (thanks to MissEurasia)

Oslo NORWAY (or somewhere Northern - but stipulate it is for the Summer Games)

And maybe somewhere Asian - Jakarta?

For winter there are only so many options but maybe we do a 'returning Games' theme? -

Innsbruck, AUSTRIA

Jaca, SPAIN (So they finally get a decent logo)

Lake Placid, USA (see Jaca)

Just my two cents worth.

Agreed^ but keep it a city competition with the Olympics. I feel like if someone chooses another city that is more iconic, for example Paris, and someone makes a logo for a smaller city that is not as known users would go for the bigger well- known city because more people would actually get the logo.

I find the free for ll concept a little too much as well. It will just lead to confusion. I mean how does one judge a great abstract logo for one city against one that takes on the perfect characteristics of another? If we are doing that maybe just eliminate the city entirely and make it a generic sports logo comp?

I'd go with 3 options for Summer -

New Orleans USA (thanks to MissEurasia)

Oslo NORWAY (or somewhere Northern - but stipulate it is for the Summer Games)

And maybe somewhere Asian - Jakarta?

For winter there are only so many options but maybe we do a 'returning Games' theme? -

Innsbruck, AUSTRIA

Jaca, SPAIN (So they finally get a decent logo)

Lake Placid, USA (see Jaca)

Just my two cents worth.

what drunk convict died and left you in charge?

Agreed^ but keep it a city competition with the Olympics. I feel like if someone chooses another city that is more iconic, for example Paris, and someone makes a logo for a smaller city that is not as known users would go for the bigger well- known city because more people would actually get the logo.

You know, for all the hijinks and nonsense that go on around these comps (and which are a big part of them), one thing that's always struck me over the years is just how seriously people take them. Not just that they get really competitive, but also that at the end of the day I think most people really give serious thought and consideration to how they vote, they really do look for artistic merit, and the cream truly does rise to the top and win. And it's a tough and knowledgable audience - let's face it, there's not much you could teach the average GamesBidder about world geography and cities, and when it comes to assessing originality the board here is probably more thorough and diligent than the Tokyo 2020 organising committee. It's not for nothing that when the usual scandals and spats flare I tend to prefer to leave my trust in the collective judgement of GamesBids to make the right call in the end rather than me having to be tough.

That said...

I really thought people would be jumping out of their skins to "do" their favourite cities when given free reign. And I thought it worked really well (despite similar initial concerns on my part) when you first did the open format, Pups. But, sigh, if some people really want a bit more direction in what city or cities to design for, I guess that could be accommodated.

Put your name down here if you want the choice of city to be made for you, and I'll think of a way to give you one. I'm thinking perhaps a sweep of cities... using Tony Sweep Rules.

FWIW I think your original idea is worth sticking with Rols. I don't see why it wouldn't work as a one off and it's your competition at the end of the day. Put your foot down man. If other people are being indecisive doesn't mean you should be! :lol:

That said, sometimes it is harder to be creative when given complete freedom. But that's part of the challenge this year. Shakes thing up a bit. All good.

If we go for the 'Tony Sweep Rules' Then I'm afraid I will not participate. It may not seem a big deal but I just wanted it out there. It took me almost 2 Hours (I'm a slow thinker) to think of the concept of my Logo, It even took me a while to think of the City I wanted to do in the first place (I believe I have OCD). So if I am given a city different to the one I did my Logo for, I won't take part. I just think you should keep the original concept.

If we go for the 'Tony Sweep Rules' Then I'm afraid I will not participate.

No, that would only be for people who can't decide on a city for themselves. In which case I'd reach into a pot of, say, 26 cities (A to Z) and give them a random metropolis which they can then do... or choose to ignore. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, it's still open slather. No-one's gonna be forced to do any city, people can still do wherever they want, and I look forward to seeing what burgs people bring out for a spin. New Orleans is already definitely in the mix here now. Thanks for bringing it.

No, that would only be for people who can't decide on a city for themselves. In which case I'd reach into a pot of, say, 26 cities (A to Z) and give them a random metropolis which they can then do... or choose to ignore. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, it's still open slather. No-one's gonna be forced to do any city, people can still do wherever they want, and I look forward to seeing what burgs people bring out for a spin. New Orleans is already definitely in the mix here now. Thanks for bringing it.

Ah Ok, Thanks for clearing that up Rols :).

attempting to rewrite the contest rules and then getting shot down for foolishness is hardly a "polite exchange of ideas" (more like a humiliation for you if rols hadn't stepped in and thrown your dumb city selections a bone), but whatever you need to tell yourself.

i'd be embarrassed if i were you.

not over this, just in general.

attempting to rewrite the contest rules and then getting shot down for foolishness is hardly a "polite exchange of ideas" (more like a humiliation for you if rols hadn't stepped in and thrown your dumb city selections a bone), but whatever you need to tell yourself.

i'd be embarrassed if i were you.

not over this, just in general.

Awwwww look at you trying to spin things in a way that makes you look like the Crown Prince of Clever-cleverland :)

Bless.

At this rate - given another decade or so - you may reach the level of 'relevance'...

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Archived