New terrorist attacks in Paris

I fully agree with StefanMUC. Of course one has also to be cautious about who exactly is among the many refugees coming to Europe currently. But claiming or even only insinuating that refugees were responsible for yesterday's attacks is disgraceful, frankly. You have no facts whatsoever - but history shows that such attacks in Europe are often "inside jobs" by people who have spent years and years in Europe already, sometimes even including their childhood. So I'm curious how you want to prevent that even citizens of the respective country commit such attacks. Let's face it: There's no such thing as complete safety. Even people from our own cultures can plan killing sprees and terrorist attacks - just look at Anders Behring Breivik in Norway. So is that any better than a terrorist attack committed by muslims?

Again, of course one cannot take it for granted that the refugees always show a good will towards their receiving countries. But I would not assume that tons of IS fighters are currently arriving in Europe. Remember, most of those people have suffered themselves under repressive regimes, under war, death and political prosecution. It would make hardly any sense if those people wanted to create new repressions and deaths in their receiving countries.

Addendum: With "most of those people" I mean, of course, the refugees in general - not the IS fighters who might be among them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New information: For security reasons, the German national team spent the whole night in its cabin at Stade de France - and out of solidarity, the French national team stayed there, too. What a great gesture!

This morning, the German team safely returned to Frankfurt. All players got a day off and were allowed to return to their famiiles because they are shocked by yesterday's events. A final decision has not been made yet whether the friendly against the Netherlands on Tuesday in Hanover will take place.

The suicide bombers apparently tried to enter the stadium indeed but didn't succeed - and therefore committed the attacks in the direct vicinity of the stadium. Just imagine if they had succeeded! The pictures from inside Stade de France were terrible enough already - but a terrorist attack within the stadium, during a live broadcast, involving spectators and maybe even players and other team members, would have been a total disaster and trauma ahead of Euro 2016.

A suspected accomplice of the terrorists was arrested in Rosenheim, Bavaria, already last week. He was on his way to Paris with weapons and TNT explosives in his car.

On the contrary: France will have to prove next year that it is able to secure a large sports event. Otherwise, if there are any incidents or even large scale attacks during Euro 2016, I see Paris 2024's chances considerably weakened. But of course it's too early to say and I still hope that the French will deliver a safe and undisturbed Euro.

^^ Not that it matters but England v France which was meant to be at Wembley on Tuesday has been cancelled.

There are discussions to cancel Germany v. Netherlands in Hanover on Tuesday as well - I have mixed feelings - maybe we shouldn't cancel football matches - maybe we should go on with our lifes as normal as before...

There are discussions to cancel Germany v. Netherlands in Hanover on Tuesday as well - I have mixed feelings - maybe we shouldn't cancel football matches - maybe we should go on with our lifes as normal as before...

I don't think it's out of security concerns that these matches are being cancelled, or even sensitivity. I think it's simply a case of looking after the players. I don't suppose France's players in particular, but also Germany's, will want to be preparing for a match so soon after last night.

Aaaand ISIS followers on Twitter have claimed responsability for the attacks. What is worse, it seems they found a suspicious device at London airport and they also seemingly threatened to attack Rome as well.

My comments before weren't meant to be racist, by the way. I am aware not all muslims are bad people, but the sad truth is that there could be also huge risks that some ISIS militants were hiding among the inmigrant wave which has been happening. I just think you guys should be careful.

:( Now I can see Europe's borders being sealed up tight...I'd expect the eastern flank nations to take a more harsher approach to so called "refugees" from Syria. Sympathy to their plight will wash away very quickly in the next week. What's so sad is everyone saw this attack coming but didn't know where. With Europe now considered "contaminated" with a militant threat, what will happen to global travel and the freedom of movement. I'm now more suspicious of those who are "desperately trying to get to the UK" as we keep hearing on the news.

Am amazed at the reaction out there - still a shock BUT a more "not this again?" kind of feel.

We really will have to stand with France on this one...This will change the face of the War as now ALL the Allies are fighting it in one way or another. :ph34r:

^^ Not that it matters but England v France which was meant to be at Wembley on Tuesday has been cancelled.

Looks like I was wrong (though I just copied what L'Equipe posted last night). The FA left it up to the French to decide, and the FFF now want the fixture to go ahead.

Solidarity with France.

CTwHUVYWEAANYmS.jpg

Can people please stop dragging the refugees into this? Evidence that last night's terrorists came to France in refugee disguise or STFU.

Yeah but StefanMUC...that's how they are getting through...in refugee disguise. Europe will have to tighten up. :(

@Ikarus and Alexjc: You guys live on continents far, far away from Europe and still you claim to know it all, you talk about "huge risks" regarding the refugees and you raise doubts about the people who want to take refuge in the UK, although there is not even the slightest hint yet that the terrorists were refugees. Frankly, I want to puke when I read that unfounded bile and vitriol. Last night's events in Paris showed the worst of mankind. But some comments on this board have actually the same effect.

Yeah but StefanMUC...that's how they are getting through...in refugee disguise. Europe will have to tighten up. :(

Show us any evidence that the terrorists were refugees, any! The people who committed earlier terrorist attacks in Europe were people who have been living here for many years, some of them were even born here or had the citizenship of the respective county. So I really don't know how you can get the idea that the refugees are the main (or even only an important) cause for Islamist terror.

And your evidence is? Sitting in far away NZ with no daily experience of the situation here makes it easy to come up with such simplistic statements or what? I'm very upset about what happened last night, and I'm equally upset about people using this for anti-refugee BS.

And just to add: the first identified attacker was a French citizen. So much about "refugee disguise".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOadnsv25cM

It is a fact now, though, that they did it. Refugees or not.

Once again you're mistaking my statements with racism. It seems one can't say the painful truth without being called an islamophobic and a bigoted racist when I clearly said earlier that the majority of muslims are not bad people.

Besides this is a very shocking and outrageous moment so of course many of us are not going to be very trustful after this. And although i dont live in Europe I do have relatives living in both Spain and France in case you guys didn't knew, and i'm scared for their safety.

Once again you're mistaking my statements with racism. It seems one can't say the painful truth without being called an islamophobic and a bigoted racist when I clearly said earlier that the majority of muslims are not bad people.

Besides this is a very shocking and outrageous moment so of course many of us are not going to be very trustful after this. And although i dont live in Europe I do have relatives living in both Spain and France in case you guys didn't knew, and i'm scared for their safety.

First of all, it's interesting that you speak about being called an islamophobic and a bigoted racist. In fact, no one here has called you that. Don't put yourself in a victim role. BUT: You still talk about saying "the painful truth" while you can't provide just the slightest evidence that refugees have committed these attacks. What you state is not the truth, but only hollow allegations and insinuations, nothing more, nothing less. And please also don't claim speaking for others ("of course many of us are not going to be very trustful after this"). Anyone who still has a little bit of common sense will say that one has to look at the facts and that one should not change one's perception of Muslim people just because of that very violent but actually also very small minority.

I guess I should apologize for some of my statements here, then....I'm just worried about everything, that's all.

It's only too understandable that you, me, most of us are worried. But let's not fall into the traps the terrorists and their antagonists (Le Pen, Orbán etc) have left everywhere these days. That would make them only too happy.

I really would prefer our French GB members here to give us updates and their feelings...

I may be on the other side of the world BUT France is considered a true Ally to New Zealand...We have spilt blood together fighting - oh well let's see now... <_<

French was and still is taught in our schools as the main secondary language followed by mandarin. We consider France a champion of liberty and justice sometimes over and above Great Britain, and the still play a role helping out in the Pacific with aid and disaster relief.

As for my comment about the influx of refugees and the potental of troublemakers slipping in - prehaps I should have added "may possibly have" to my sentence...Yes home grown and nertured terrorists exist and Im not forgetting that...But it's the growing evil ISIS octopus who's tenticles are now reaching into the West that now scares me... :mellow:

I guess I should apologize for some of my statements here, then....I'm just worried about everything, that's all.

Apology accepted. But as Stefan already has said: We should not make fear or advisor. This week, former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt died at the age of 96. And he had to deal with several severe crises in his time as a politician as well - including the terrorism by the radical left Red Army Faction. What helped him in dealing with those crises was that he remained as calm as possible, analysed the situation and made rational, well-considered decisions. Of course he was frightened as well, he said that he feared the deaths of all passengers when Palestinian terrorists hijacked the Lufthansa airplane "Landshut" in 1977 and German special forces prepared to free the hostages in Mogadishu, Somalia. But nevertheless, he didn't let fear be his advisor and made the decision to let the special forces go ahead. They stormed the airplane and in the end, all passengers and crew members survived. And furthermore, he stroke a decisive blow against the Red Army Faction - they never fully recovered from their defeat in Mogadishu and since 1998, they even belong to history.

I think that episode might draw an interesting parallel to the current situation: We should simply go ahead, we shouldn't let those terrorists forbid us our way of life. And at the same time, I hope that our politicians make rational, well-considered decisions now about how to deal with Islamic State and international terrorism in general. In the end, we and our way of life will win - because we are stronger than those lunatics who have made up their own (sick) definition of Islam. It will probably be costly, and there will probably be further terrorist attacks. But I'm certain that we will win nevertheless.

Correction: We should not make fear our advisor

Ok. I'm having issues to express how I feel. I actually live 15 metres from the Bataclan, where 82 people died. Thankfully, I was at some friends' when it happened. But when I came home this morning, the place hadn't been cleaned yet. On the floor there were shoes, coats, plastic gloves, napkins, all covered in blood. I will never forget.

I would like you guys to wait a little before jumping to conclusions. But let me be clear: what happned yesterday has NOTHING to do with the refugee crises. Nothing. Don't forget that what happened in January was done by 3 French guys, born and raised in France.

Merci.

JO2024, I and probably everyone else on this board feels very much for you and your fellow Parisians and all who were affected by yesterday's attacks. I hope that you and your city will recover quickly and continue life, since this is the best way of showing the terrorists that they can't break us. But of course, it's maybe easily said from a distance, without those horrible pictures right in front of my door, but only in my television or on my computer. In any case: We are with you! And thank you for your thoughtful words about the whole refugee topic.

Ok. I'm having issues to express how I feel. I actually live 15 metres from the Bataclan, where 82 people died. Thankfully, I was at some friends' when it happened. But when I came home this morning, the place hadn't been cleaned yet. On the floor there were shoes, coats, plastic gloves, napkins, all covered in blood. I will never forget.

Wow....even coming back to all that must've been terrible. If you're having trouble sleeping or not feeling well or feeling depressed seek some help. These things can creep up on you in unexpected ways later.

Just take care of yourself.

Looks like I was wrong (though I just copied what L'Equipe posted last night). The FA left it up to the French to decide, and the FFF now want the fixture to go ahead.

Solidarity with France.

CTwHUVYWEAANYmS.jpg

It seems that the football associations in the different european countries agree with each other that the matches will take place - when the security authorities agree...

Archived