New terrorist attacks in Paris

I'm shocked and worried: During the live broadcast of the France-Germany friendly match in Stade de France, during the 20th minute, a loud bang was audible. At first, I thought it was a loud firecracker. But as it has proven now, it was an explosion outside the stadium. Furthermore, there have been shootings in Paris city and even a hostage-taking involving 60 people. The situation is still very unclear, first reports say that at least 30 people have been killed tonight in Paris.

There even was some panic in Stade de France. Apparently, police advised the spectators to move to the infield after the match, and there were rumours that there even was a shooting within the stadium. One could see crying people on the infield.

What a horrible, horrible evening for France, the sport, and also EURO 2016! These are awful pictures, especially after the terrible events around Charlie Hebdo only at the start of the year and in preparation for that major tournament. At this early stage, it's still unclear to me what this means for EURO 2016. Safety measures will probably be even stronger now, if the tournament takes place at all... :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still say that Euro 2016 will be strongly affected, though. If I had planned to go to France and especially to Paris for watching the matches or simply enjoying the atmosphere of the tournament, I would probably think about cancelling my trip now. And I wonder how many actual Euro tourists think the same in this very moment. Of course, Salt Lake 2002 was in a similar situation - but at least 9/11 didn't produce any terrorist attacks at the very spot of the sports events and such traumatising pictures of panicking people on the field of play.

By the way: Latest reports say that the number of casualties in Paris has risen to 60 people... The horror simply doesn't end. I just hope that everyone within the stadium can return home safely and that also in the rest of the city and France, no new attacks will happen...

Just talked with some of my friends in Paris. One was nearby the attack site but thank god they're alive and well. The death toll has reached the number of 60. And with the hostages the situation seems far from being over.

And I don't want to sound pessimistic or fatalistic, but the worst thing about all this is that one can't even be certain that there won't be any further attacks during the days to come. Remember the situation after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, when the perpetrators took hostages two days later... I wonder why it is still that easy for terrorists to commit multiple attacks of such scale in France, despite the experiences from Charlie Hebdo. But this shouldn't sound reproachful - my thoughts are with the French people who is really suffering an awful year.

And I don't want to sound pessimistic or fatalistic, but the worst thing about all this is that one can't even be certain that there won't be any further attacks during the days to come. Remember the situation after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, when the perpetrators took hostages two days later... I wonder why it is still that easy for terrorists to commit multiple attacks of such scale in France, despite the experiences from Charlie Hebdo. But this shouldn't sound reproachful - my thoughts are with the French people who is really suffering an awful year.

Oh yeah -- that's how these terrorist attacks are NOW planned -- in 2 or 3 layers. Dissolve the stupid Schengen Accord; award 2024 to Paris RIGHT NOW and round up all those stupid muslims and refugees.

No big surprise, the killers were shouting pro-Syria and pro-ISIS messages.

Still think bringing them to Europe is a good idea?

PS: I don't mean any racist connotion in my message but lets be honest, bringing tons of them without a control process was bound to cause this sooner or later knowing there were huge chances some ISIS members could had mixed with them.

Jesus christ. 100 dead people. It seems everyone inside Bataclan were killed.

At least 100 killed in there, but there were possibly over 200 total in the venue alone.

Reports all 100 people in the Concert hall have been killed :/

G20 climate sumit meant to be in Paris this week, G20 summit in Turkey as well

G20 summit in Turkey is supposed to be this week. That Paris thing is a climate change conference and is taking place the end of November.

A brother from one of the band members is on ABC right now and saying that there were possibly 1500 people in the building. If that's close to the actual number, then rushing in was the best decision the police made.

What band was it? Apparently the band members haven't been located or so we were told

What band was it? Apparently the band members haven't been located or so we were told

The brother of the band member spoke to him and as soon as they heard the shooting all of them took off so they're safe. Cannot remember what band it was all I remember hearing it was an American death metal band.

Ok just googled it, the name of the band is Eagles Of Death Metal.

And they performed at a sold-out crowd, with the capacity being 1200. If there were more than that, possibly 1500 like his brother said, then the owners may come under scrutiny for the venue being over capacity, even if that really wouldn't have made a huge difference in the death toll.

No big surprise, the killers were shouting pro-Syria and pro-ISIS messages.

Still think bringing them to Europe is a good idea?

PS: I don't mean any racist connotion in my message but lets be honest, bringing tons of them without a control process was bound to cause this sooner or later knowing there were huge chances some ISIS members could had mixed with them.

So you know already that the attackers were terrorists from Syria pretending to be refugees? May I remind you that the Charlie Hebdo attacks came from long-time residents of France.

Your message is exactly what the terrorists want: spread fear and mistrust between people.

Archived