baron-pierreIV

The Olympic Channel

Just now, TeamBlakeUSA said:

So Does That Mean We Are Having Our Own GamesBids logo comps?

nQCbge.jpg

Vote in the Semi Finals of the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup to decide:

Semi Finals - GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

Or enter a new logo in this year's Comp:

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp

15 hours ago, gotosy said:

... the Olympic Channel is developing localised versions, which will offer region- and language-specific user experiences on linear and digital platforms in certain territories, leading to more personalised experiences for Olympic fans around the world.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-usoc-and-nbcuniversal-announce-olympic-channel-partnership-in-the-united-states

"region- and language-specific" presumably translating as "NBC want to control the brand in the USA, as usual, and the Chinese want to censor us, as usual".

20 minutes ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

I Was Taking About the GamesBids Logo Winners' Cup comp, Rols.

Vote in the Semi Finals of the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup:

Semi Finals - GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

Or enter a new logo in this year's Comp:

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp

NBC's version of the Olympic Channel, the new home of Team USA Olympic Sports, hits the linear airwaves July 15 as the replacement to Universal Sports. Also explains why Universal Sports got shuttered for this:

http://awfulannouncing.com/olympics/nbc-officially-announces-olympic-channel-launch-july-15.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-sets-olympic-channel-launch-date-1013975

Does make me wonder what role exactly will the Olympic Channel will play for Tokyo and Pyeongchang since this is fully owned by NBCUniversal. I would imagine along with analysis and news and ceremonies replays, sports that tend to get short shrift within the regular NBC Olympic roster of TV networks will head in that direction like sailing, handball, judo, fencing, wrestling, and some early sessions of gymnastics and track and field. Could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Does make me wonder what role exactly will the Olympic Channel will play for Tokyo and Pyeongchang since this is fully owned by NBCUniversal. I would imagine along with analysis and news and ceremonies replays, sports that tend to get short shrift within the regular NBC Olympic roster of TV networks will head in that direction like sailing, handball, judo, fencing, wrestling, and some early sessions of gymnastics and track and field. Could be wrong.

They've already said that the Olympic Channel will not have any actual sports coverage during the Olympics.

8 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

You'll be wrong.  NBC isn't creating this channel so they can show more competition on TV.  They already have 100% of every sport streamed, so there's little to gain by adding to the 11 networks they already have covering the Olympics.  What they will do, IMO, is probably fill the role the Universal Sports had from Vancouver.  Probably news and analysis and talking head shows.  Maybe some features and other material.  No need for replays when the usual slate of NBCU networks are already handling that.  

As far as we know this is the only localized version of the Olympic Channel set to exist on the TV side worldwide. Yet we don't know of any other plans worldwide right now or forthcoming. Any European plans of one there outside of Russia HAS to deal with Eurosport's involvement and consent with the multiple languages offered. Be curious as to see if Australian, Canadian, Kiwi, Brazilian, and Pan-African editions will eventually exist--and to what degree with the TV rights to some events in other nations may be tied up at another broadcasting entity.

Just needed to be reminded about the "no actual Olympic sports competition going on during the Olympics". Should read up the thread to remind myself. Silly me!  The news, analysis, and talking heads are what we can expect to see like a Meet The Olympic Press Pyeongchang and Tokyo versions. Featured documentaries, other features, and other material too, as you say Quaker.

5 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

As far as we know this is the only localized version of the Olympic Channel set to exist on the TV side worldwide. Yet we don't know of any other plans worldwide right now or forthcoming. Any European plans of one there outside of Russia HAS to deal with Eurosport's involvement and consent with the multiple languages offered. Be curious as to see if Australian, Canadian, Kiwi, Brazilian, and Pan-African editions will eventually exist--and to what degree with the TV rights to some events in other nations may be tied up at another broadcasting entity.

Just needed to be reminded about the "no actual Olympic sports competition going on during the Olympics". Should read up the thread to remind myself. Silly me!  The news, analysis, and talking heads are what we can expect to see like a Meet The Olympic Press Pyeongchang and Tokyo versions. Featured documentaries, other features, and other material too, as you say Quaker.

What NBCU is offering is not a localized version of the Olympic Channel.  It's their own separate entity that simply happens to have the same name and yes, will share content.  There is little reason to expect something similar would pop up in another country so it's very naive to ask if that's going to happen.  The whole point behind the Olympic Channel as an OTT entity is so that it could exist around the world and take the place of a dedicated TV network devoted to the Olympics.  There's no market for that in most countries and even here, it's mostly about NBCU wanting to push it.

Again, we'll have to wait and see what kind of content fills the channel, let alone during the Olympics.  We'll all learn that together.  And yes, you should read up more rather than just posting about it.  Silly you.

What to expect come next Saturday upon the launch of the Team USA version of the Olympic Channel at 5am CT headlined by a  30-minute preview show hosted by NBC's Pyeongchang and Tokyo primetime studio anchor Mike Tirico:

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2017/07/05/10-days-until-the-launch-of-olympic-channel-home-of-team-usa/

Really interesting to hear about this. Guess it needs to make an instant splash to attract viewers to this new channel with something that lots of people look back with pride and how game-changing (definitely for international basketball). When I saw those Dream Team Barcelona games back then, NBC programmers would cut away to other sports, especially during the prime time segment, once things got less competitive at the Badalona Palace when there weren't yet any NBC cable partners to show them in their entirety. Never mind the Olympic Triplecast. Yeah, it was during the days of jumping around various events on one network since NBC would never go almost 24/7 on Olympic coverage at the time. Did show all with Angola, both Croatia games, and Spain in full.

Never saw NBC's Dream Team documentary when it was shown during its London 2012 broadcast. Did see NBA TV's version. I wonder how they both differ. Also been reading Jack McCallum's Dream Team book. 

7 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

Really interesting to hear about this. Guess it needs to make an instant splash to attract viewers to this new channel with something that lots of people look back with pride and how game-changing (definitely for international basketball). When I saw those Dream Team Barcelona games back then, NBC programmers would cut away to other sports, especially during the prime time segment, once things got less competitive at the Badalona Palace when there weren't yet any NBC cable partners to show them in their entirety. Never mind the Olympic Triplecast. Yeah, it was during the days of jumping around various events on one network since NBC would never go almost 24/7 on Olympic coverage at the time. Did show all with Angola, both Croatia games, and Spain in full.

Never saw NBC's Dream Team documentary when it was shown during its London 2012 broadcast. Did see NBA TV's version. I wonder how they both differ. Also been reading Jack McCallum's Dream Team book. 

If NBC is going to show archival footage from the Olympics, that's a good place to start.  The story I linked noted that they will show all of Usain Bolt's races at some point, but pretty sure all of those could be easily found on Youtube.  Don't know how they package those.

As for Barcelona coverage, no kidding they didn't stick with basketball in primetime.  NBC learned their lesson the hard way that they can't treat primetime like it's a weekend afternoon.  The usual formula was to show the first half of the basketball game at the start of primetime and then maybe have a wrap-up report later.  The games you mentioned - Angola, Spain, and Croatia - not so coincidentally were all on the weekend, so there was that nice big afternoon block to show them, the last 2 of those being live to the East coast.

11 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If NBC is going to show archival footage from the Olympics, that's a good place to start.  The story I linked noted that they will show all of Usain Bolt's races at some point, but pretty sure all of those could be easily found on Youtube.  Don't know how they package those.

As for Barcelona coverage, no kidding they didn't stick with basketball in primetime.  NBC learned their lesson the hard way that they can't treat primetime like it's a weekend afternoon.  The usual formula was to show the first half of the basketball game at the start of primetime and then maybe have a wrap-up report later.  The games you mentioned - Angola, Spain, and Croatia - not so coincidentally were all on the weekend, so there was that nice big afternoon block to show them, the last 2 of those being live to the East coast.

Agreed on the Dream Team as among the first archival footage as a good starting place for a fledging TV network of this nature. After all, this year, believe it or not, is the 25th anniversary of the Barcelona Olympics and of the Dream Team! Did see Usain Bolt's sprints being mentioned. I'm sure we'll see the likes of the USA women's gymnastics teams' golden performances from Atlanta, London, and Rio De Janeiro, Michael Phelps' races, Team USA women's gold medal soccer matches (and that USA-Canada semifinal instant classic at Manchester's Old Trafford), and Kerry Walsh-Misty May-Treanor gold medal beach volleyball performances (just to name a few) soon. All and more are easily found on YouTube for sure. I named those four games because the Dream Team games with them were scheduled not so coincidentally on the weekend to NBC's favor for its live weekend programming block, though actually the first Croatia matchup during group play in Group A was on Monday, July 27. Too bad the Lithuania semifinal one was televised on NBC's primetime segment but fell on a Thursday. Had Yugoslavia (Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Kosovo) was allowed by the IOC to send its team sports qualifiers like men's basketball, they could've granted some challenge...but not enough like Croatia and Lithuania realized. If that happened Canada reportedly would've joined the men's basketball field.  

Well, DISH customers like me are out of luck. I vented a little on DISH on various social media, but now I just don't seem to care whether I have it or not.  Probably because I realized I acted the same way about Universal Sports, I eventually got it and then hardly watched it. I'll stick with the online version with its more worldly focus.

Update: Apparently the TV link on the website now features the live stream of the US channel, access to which can only be attained by paying at least $35/month to subscribe to one of their partners. No thanks.

16 hours ago, BTHarner said:

Update: Apparently the TV link on the website now features the live stream of the US channel, access to which can only be attained by paying at least $35/month to subscribe to one of their partners. No thanks.

Not good on their part...

Do prefer the more global version but will turn to Team USA at times. Just kinda wish a balance would be struck. 

As predicted since Discovery's Eurosport stunned the sports business world, its hooking up with the IOC to form its own version of the Olympic Channel launching this Wednesday appearing on Eurosport and Eurosport Player across 50 European nations excluding Russia. Will focus on what we would see more features on the global edition of the Olympic Channel online as opposed to the Team USA version here. Even conducting "theme weeks". Will be some localized content on the various Eurosport channels across the continent:

The Olympic Flame To Burn Brighter With New Discovery Communications/Eurosport And Olympic Channel Partnership

I think the Olympic Channel dropped the ball when it did not add the ceremony videos from LA 1984 to coincide with the 2028 award last week.  I notice they did see to it that they were removed from YouTube.

Great news, I now have the TV version on satellite.

Bad news, they have removed numerous OCs from the website.  I have expressed my displeasure via email.

13 hours ago, BTHarner said:

Great news, I now have the TV version on satellite.

Bad news, they have removed numerous OCs from the website.  I have expressed my displeasure via email.

They have still have the ceremonies on there you have to search and type in  "ceremonies" they are probably updating it