phandrosis

Pyeongchang 2018 Look of the Games

...check out this oldie from 88. pretty fun and quirky and cute, i likey. i guess Seoul was all about doves....cooked and uncooked.

1491439d44a0543e17b3a1685bceb93d--summer

• Like 1

....the orange PC look is really cute on the mogul hill and in their little start house.

...why is there blue pads showing above all the purple look in the ice skating venue? no.

Edited by paul

The OBS Intro that you'll see on Olympic Channel. Did they have to put Arirang. Overall, I like it and although they've used Arirang for quite some time, I love the song the rendition here:

I was very impressed with the seatback lighting during the Opening Ceremony, it added a very sleek look to the performances, and definitely was a big part of the parade of nations. I think those lights definitely made us forget that that stadium is a temporary venue. 

Here is a good quality vid of the Medal Award ceremonies. 

Watching the snowboarding competitions (Go Red!), the look is really growing on me. The focus is on the athletes and the look of the games is just really complimenting that well. It's not flashy it's clean and simplistic, but it's also noticeable (unlike Rio). It just gives the feeling of a quality Olympic games.

• Like 1

I also agree. I loved Vancouver's look, but comparing it to Pyeongchang, it was very flashy. In all honestly, it gave a headache sometimes when skaters and skiers would fly by and it would become a background blur. I am liking the more simplistic look of Pyeongchang, as Mr.Bernham said, there seems to be more of a focus on the athletes. I haven't even seen events from all of the venues yet either. Good ratings from me at the moment!

the orange looks good in slopestyle and moguls....and the pink looks cute in the sliding track. It's efficient, it's economical, it's cute......but it's not moving the ball forward......I mean, ya kinda always want to see that next big new idea....this is a nice look, it's just nothing new surprising, beautiful, or unique.

...wonder why these were eliminated?

880187_926w_640h.jpeg

...turned into this I think:

Olympic-snowboard-slopestyle-2018-course

.....Sochi killed it with this lady:

Member the cutest prop of all?...

691606_926w_640h.jpeg

.....an the worst conditions.

A really good solid look IMO. Nothing really to fault. Actually, going back to the comment above mentioning how they thought some athletes got “lost” amongst the business of the Vancouver look - watching the figure skating yesterday, I did note one of the skaters wearing a dress exactly the same shade of purple as the signage on the rink. Not a flaw in the look, but I did feel a bit sorry for the poor girl - she WAS getting lost against the background. 

Anyway... while the look to me, like the OC, is good and solid, it’s still to my mind not as good as Sochi’s (still one of my faves of all times, summer or winter). Sigh! That’s the problem with Sochi - black mark on the games they may well have been, but jeez they were just so well presented.  

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

What happened to all of the "Olympic Channel" banners in the indoor venues? I saw them before the Games but haven't seen a single once since?

On 12/02/2018 at 5:22 AM, Sir Rols said:

A really good solid look IMO.

Mostly solid, but I'm starting to wonder if those hangul snowflakes have been provided as a test of how 8k broadcasting copes with small details.

rs_1024x759-180211195726-1024.Mirai-Naga

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Mostly solid, but I'm starting to wonder if those hangul snowflakes have been provided as a test of how 8k broadcasting copes with small details.

Not really as intricate as Sochi’s, though

o-BODE-MILLER-facebook.jpg

-why are there white background pieces in the hording pattern around the ice hockey rink?

BBIZsXh.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=

4 hours ago, paul said:

-why are there white background pieces in the hording pattern around the ice hockey rink?

Judging from that picture, it's to help spot the pitch markings from a low angle.

As much as I watch the Olympic Games, my visual curiosity grows, so it made me to learn how to read in Hangul.  Certainly, the message that PyeongChang 2018 is sending through its look, is unity and uniqueness along the Korean Peninsula and local culture despite the 38 parallel. I also enjoy watching the host cities written in their local languages, such as Sochi. Hopefully, this keeps going at Tokyo 2020 & Beijing 2022. 

I hope Paris 2024 look could depict a centennial renovated Art Déco look, just like PIerre de Courtin might have seen Paris back in the 1920's.

• Like 1

Thanks to Yoshi posting the link with the Official program of the Opening Ceremonies, I finally learned the typography used for the Look of the Games is based on the text font created by graphic designer Ahn Sang-soo back in 1985, which is pretty much the equivalent of Helvetica to us. 

https://creators.vice.com/en_au/article/gvdkyb/original-creators-sang-soo-ahn

ahn1168sq_resize.jpg

ahnsangsoopoem_detail_em.jpg?1304280156

Ahn-Sang-Soo-affiches-03.jpg

0fd5f4130f8d3590e7f798ddb3518f5a.jpg

theme_issue6-1.jpg

I think I've finally figured out why it didn't quite work for me.

Transplant it into a basketball arena, velodrome, pool, stadium and it would've been solid if not spectacular. A few little snowflakes aside, this was a Summer Games Look at a Winter Games. I think I preferred the intricacy of design, softer colours and use of white to break things up in Sochi and especially Vancouver. The abundance of purple in particular looked heavy in the ice arenas. And looking again at the orange in the slopestyle that's a Summer Look if ever I've seen one!

On 2/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, paul said:

To allow the blue line on the boards to be visible, otherwise it would blend in with the Look. 

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

I think I've finally figured out why it didn't quite work for me.

Transplant it into a basketball arena, velodrome, pool, stadium and it would've been solid if not spectacular. A few little snowflakes aside, this was a Summer Games Look at a Winter Games. I think I preferred the intricacy of design, softer colours and use of white to break things up in Sochi and especially Vancouver. The abundance of purple in particular looked heavy in the ice arenas. And looking again at the orange in the slopestyle that's a Summer Look if ever I've seen one!

To be fair, Torino also did heavy use of orange and red at slopestyle events. It doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing, to be honest.

feb-15-2006-sauze-doulx-italy-torino-200

564989798.jpg

Sochi was a bit weirder, with heavy use of a pink-ish purple.

mark-mcmorris-sochi-slopestyle-qualifica

In my opinion, warm colours contrasting the whiteness of the snow such as red and orange make those sports more attractive. It kind of reminds me to Sarajevo with that orange everywhere, including the wolf wearing such tone. What I love from PyeongChang 2018 were the start-gates using hangul shapes. And again, I hope Tokyo and Beijing use their scripts like Sochi and PC.

• Like 1

Look is already getting changes for the upcoming Paralympics

28750995_596269234041557_110772855304827

28430356_193276814605813_102122191163752

28428639_1185400668263792_22798554033511

5 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Look is already getting changes for the upcoming Paralympics

28750995_596269234041557_110772855304827

"Already" is perhaps the wrong word, given that the OC is now less than 80 hours away !