phandrosis

Pyeongchang 2018 Look of the Games

SK did amazing preparation and delivered on promises, unlike Rio and so many others who bite of more than they can chew or deserve and don't have the same cultural principals to honor commitments. The Koreans are amazing and their games will be top notch.

.....but......MAN....those venue graphic are less effective the more complete they are. It's way to monochromatic without enough contrast in shades to understand whats going on , smaller articulated text design details are totally lost....and if you don't look close it looks just looks like London!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul said:

SK did amazing preparation and delivered on promises, unlike Rio and so many others who bite of more than they can chew or deserve and don't have the same cultural principals to honor commitments. The Koreans are amazing and their games will be top notch.

.....but......MAN....those venue graphic are less effective the more complete they are. It's way to monochromatic without enough contrast in shades to understand whats going on , smaller articulated text design details are totally lost....and if you don't look close it looks just looks like London!

I thought I was the only one being reminded of London, specially the use of purple at the hockey venue. 

8 hours ago, paul said:

those venue graphic are less effective the more complete they are. It's way to monochromatic without enough contrast in shades to understand whats going on , smaller articulated text design details are totally lost....and if you don't look close it looks just looks like London!

Yeah- but London without the wackiness. I do hope this isn't going to be a dignified Olympics ...

I remember London 2012 visited Vancouver and their report was that the Look was too complex and sometimes looked washed out. They subsequently came up with something much simpler that made sure the Rings and logotype (i.e. the words London 2012) stood out. It feels to me like PC visited Sochi and came to a similar conclusion with the embroidered patterns all over the place and decided to go very deliberately the opposite direction.

But I liked Vancouver's Look and London's reaction to it. I also liked Sochi's Look. But I'm not sure about PC so far. It hasn't got the complex interestingness of Vancouver or Sochi, but it doesn't POP like London's. It needs something more. It's very generic.

• Like 1

My friend just came back from a trip to Vietnam via Korean Airlines, and grabbed these off of the flight for me. Korean Airlines has put the logo on their amenities kits on their longhaul flights, indicating the partnership, as well as these pamphlets in the seatback pockets talking about winter sports and the history South Korea has in each sport. I'm sorry if the photos of the pamphlet are blurry, if there is a specific section you would like you see, let me know and I can take more photos. The languages are in both Korean and English.

?ui=2&ik=0867f47535&view=att&th=1614dd59

?ui=2&ik=0867f47535&view=att&th=1614dd59?ui=2&ik=0867f47535&view=att&th=1614dd59?ui=2&ik=0867f47535&view=att&th=1614dd59

^^ They are not showing, Anthony. I think you might want to upload them to imgur first.

11 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

^^ They are not showing, Anthony. I think you might want to upload them to imgur first.

I will be flying to Seoul using Korean Air later today from Beijing so maybe I can grab photos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

I will be flying to Seoul using Korean Air later today from Beijing so maybe I can grab photos.

Best of luck. I hope you enjoy your time in Korea :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

I've uploaded to Imgur, but the links are not working when I go to type them in on the post here. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I've uploaded to Imgur, but the links are not working when I go to type them in on the post here. Any suggestions?

Once the pic uploaded, it should show a preview. Right click over it and copy the image address, then paste it here. That's what I often do when uploading to Imgur :P 

This reminds me that it doesn't look as if PyeongChang will be publishing an official souvenir program, which would make it three Games in a row that I have not been able to find a copy. I was able to collect each one from LA 84 to Athens, but then they became sporadic as only Vancouver and London had published them since. Some have published programs for the Opening and Closing ceremonies, but none for the Games in general. That's too bad because they really are nice mementos from each Games. 

2 hours ago, BTHarner said:

This reminds me that it doesn't look as if PyeongChang will be publishing an official souvenir program, which would make it three Games in a row that I have not been able to find a copy. I was able to collect each one from LA 84 to Athens, but then they became sporadic as only Vancouver and London had published them since. Some have published programs for the Opening and Closing ceremonies, but none for the Games in general. That's too bad because they really are nice mementos from each Games. 

I find the spectator guides kind of fill that gap - until of course London decided to do those stupid pamphlets for each venue and Sochi just didn't bother at all.

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

RVnOZQ9.jpg

jguIgYq.jpg

There's one element too many in that Look- I reckon they should have chosen either the big hangul or the hangul snowflakes, not both.

Those statues again, which remind me more of torture/some Saw movie scene than the olympics. :blink:

26867440_330128827492859_676323420013802

27575138_1413399388769786_22266649606944

26869930_187635538657419_336919353779814

27576742_850370521811894_799233893699315

I hope we get better pics because those snowflakes in the athletes uniforms look so transparent/unnoticeable, they look extremely bland so far. Probably my biggest complain toward this Look.

It's even worse when you compare it to Sochi and Vancouver uniforms

anna-fenninger-sochi-2014-winter-olympic

vancouver-2010.jpg

Torino uniforms were also simple but those curves and the typeface gave it a very sophisticated feel

giorgio-di-centa-of-italy-competes-in-th

I really hope the PC2018 uniforms look much better from behind or in official pictures because so far they're not convincing me. 

Well, now that the Curling events began, I took some pics of the livefeed.

NMLRei4.png

b15BULk.png

sO9WObk.png

vxO96Ha.png

DLUbOV3.png

jGzk1Dy.png

yAeiY3x.png

dcN1HYP.png

mqWSloD.png

It's not too bad.

There's a nice balance here: the snowflakes bring interest in tight, close shots and the big hangul characters break things up enough in wider shots. 

Could use with a little more texture and color combos, but it's a solid Look.