Jump to content
phandrosis

Pyeongchang 2018 Look of the Games

Recommended Posts

That was my first thought as well, but it is an attempt to bring new eyeballs to the channel. There are many who have no idea it even exists, including most of my family. I hijacked the remote control at our Christmas dinner and nobody knew what I was watching.

I really don't know if this will work. Only a very small number of people actually pay attention to the background graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look of the Games at the Yongpyong Dome, where the main dining hall for the athletes is located (the dome is adjacent to the village)

26065860_1964125023846996_80013847694787

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ust admit that since i was in both Koreas in 2015 travelling around, I've noticed how distinctive the Korean Peninsula because Hangul script. At the begining, when the logo was launched, I felt a bit disappointed. Now, each day is approaching the OC, I'm loving the simplicity, but sophisticated korean look for these games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BTHarner said:

That was my first thought as well, but it is an attempt to bring new eyeballs to the channel. There are many who have no idea it even exists, including most of my family. I hijacked the remote control at our Christmas dinner and nobody knew what I was watching.

I really don't know if this will work. Only a very small number of people actually pay attention to the background graphics.

Olympic channel you see in the US is very different from the rest of the world, protected behind a login. We just see olympic channel without login, but there is limited content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....OK......hate to say this but.......this "look" has not been effectively executed from what I've seen.........it's so generic looking and I'm seeing few creative or unique applications.  The graphics looks like any generic convention center trade show you might see in any large city. I was a fan of the super simple logo but we need a twist and some clever execution or it's gonna be very forgettable. Hoping for MUCH more.

 

That white tiger is perfect however, even with the penis on his face.

Edited by paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The look does its work, but I agree it is somewhat forgetful. Nothing which really strikes at the eye. At the same time I like its simplicity, though. If there was a look which reminds me of this one, I would probably say it reminds me of the Salt Lake 2002 brand which was also very simple but pleasant. Torino is still my all time favorite look for a Winter Games, I absolutely love the work they did in 2006.

Soohorang (the white tiger) is perhaps the best of the whole PC2018 brand. The mascot has proved to be very popular with everyone so far. I hope they do something like in the 2009 IAAF at Berlin and make the mascot (well, someone in a mascot costume at least :lol: ) have some fun with the athletes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you Ikarus360. Althought I believe Torino's look is the most recognizable and particularly my favourite amongst Winter Olympics. That passionate red combined with black made the difference. Sochi is also one of my favourites due to the depiction of Russian folk and brightness.  On Summer Olympics, I realise that the use of pink or purple colours from Mexico, LA and London made them outstanding visually, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 1:49 PM, Ikarus360 said:

If there was a look which reminds me of this one, I would probably say it reminds me of the Salt Lake 2002 brand which was also very simple but pleasant. Torino is still my all time favorite look for a Winter Games, I absolutely love the work they did in 2006.

i would agree about Torino....perhaps the best....exactly what one would expect form the Italians......incredibly sexy and precision design....the use of black amped up the contrast of an already fantastic color mixing to something not seen before.

looking back the only similarity i see w/ SLC is  that salt lake did maintain very simple perimeter graphics on things like ice rinks, i'm thinking way back then they thought too much "look" would clutter the field of play.....so they kept it simple. but in terms of overall graphic power i may disagree about about Salt Lake, i think the logo was perhaps the best modern winter logo, the colors were cleverly chosen and combine. those color are in front of western snow-spot enthusiasts on every bluebird day, but it was Salt Lake that chose to isolate them in their incredible logo structure which represented common theme in a very simple but unique lock up. the omition of common Olympic colors and colored rings made it more clear and more iconic. The logo design dissected perfectly to form elements for venue and city graphics and every other element of those games. Other elements that far outdo PC are the super slick torch, fantastic cauldron, unique metals, cityscape super-graphics, unique graphic podiums outside venues, and many others.

Also, SLC is an iconic winter sport region, with dramatic geography along the Wasatch front...the winter sport adventure is in the DNA there....you can feel that in everything they did......in PC they are just getting their feet wet and that lack of depth does seem to show in most of what thy have presented.

But Soohorang is perfect........I mean does anything else matter when he's in town??!

Edited by paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

........OK nitpicking here but things like this sagging banner are killing me........thicken up the material and stretch it taunt or don't bother! This is not a high school meet.

26266976_206965163194527_582072546693952

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

At least the branding is up...unlike Rio.

And unlike Sochi, who this time 4 years ago was still trying to build hotels that should've been completed the year prior. Also, didn't have the branding up, because they had no structure to hang it on :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rio case is sad because its brand was very nice and had the potential of being one of the best ones, but in the end it was poorly executed at some venues since they rushed at last second installing the brand. 

Sochi was nice. The brand made up for the uninspired logo (if we can even call that a logo) they had. Beijing 2022 brand already looks kind of promising with the curves and nice typography. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Rio case is sad because its brand was very nice and had the potential of being one of the best ones, but in the end it was poorly executed at some venues since they rushed at last second installing the brand. 

Sochi was nice. The brand made up for the uninspired logo (if we can even call that a logo) they had. Beijing 2022 brand already looks kind of promising with the curves and nice typography. 

That will always be sad about Rio, is that it easily had the potential to be one of the best Olympics. and in some ways, it definitely had its memorable factors, as well as created a legacy. We will know later on just what kind of legacy Rio 2016 left for the city, but from my end, it proved that the Brazilians are resilient and hardworking, and can still put something together, even when a vast part of their country isn't with them. They bit off a lot more than they could chew with Fifa in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016, but I think between the both of them, they definitely proved that Brazil is not as far off on the economic scale as we may have seen it before. It also proved that many parts of it are still a second world country and has more issues to address that have no relation to the Olympics. But the display of culture at Rio 2016 was probably the best display of culture we've seen in any Olympics recently in my opinion, and it hopefully instilled a vast amount of hope in the country that good things are coming. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, anthonyliberatori said:

That will always be sad about Rio, is that it easily had the potential to be one of the best Olympics. and in some ways, it definitely had its memorable factors, as well as created a legacy. We will know later on just what kind of legacy Rio 2016 left for the city, but from my end, it proved that the Brazilians are resilient and hardworking, and can still put something together, even when a vast part of their country isn't with them. They bit off a lot more than they could chew with Fifa in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016, but I think between the both of them, they definitely proved that Brazil is not as far off on the economic scale as we may have seen it before. It also proved that many parts of it are still a second world country and has more issues to address that have no relation to the Olympics. But the display of culture at Rio 2016 was probably the best display of culture we've seen in any Olympics recently in my opinion, and it hopefully instilled a vast amount of hope in the country that good things are coming. 

What you've written perfectly fits with the Latin american people psyche. We tend to do things at last second but somehow, we always manage to overcome and sort out troubles. Case in point, many Pan American Games were often faced with doom due to construction delays but we still did the best we could to offer a big and colorful party despite everything, and in the end that's what people cared the most for in the end. Which is why many still have good memories of Rio 2016, despite the questionable legacy and the rocky road Brazil had to go through in order to host the event. 

We might not see it since we're very unfamiliar with korean society, but Gangwon (the province where Pyeongchang and Gangneung are located) is the poorest province of South Korea, which relies mostly on fishing and agriculture and they often complain they never experienced the Han River Miracle as much as the rest of the provinces. So for them, hosting the olympics is also a huge challenge, even if the rest of the world might think hosting the games would be an easy feat for a country like SK. So let's also hope they actually get to enjoy the benefits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

What you've written perfectly fits with the Latin american people psyche. We tend to do things at last second but somehow, we always manage to overcome and sort out troubles. Case in point, many Pan American Games were often faced with doom due to construction delays but we still did the best we could to offer a big and colorful party despite everything, and in the end that's what people cared the most for in the end. Which is why many still have good memories of Rio 2016, despite the questionable legacy and the rocky road Brazil had to go through in order to host the event. 

We might not see it since we're very unfamiliar with korean society, but Gangwon (the province where Pyeongchang and Gangneung are located) is the poorest province of South Korea, which relies mostly on fishing and agriculture and they often complain they never experienced the Han River Miracle as much as the rest of the provinces. So for them, hosting the olympics is also a huge challenge, even if the rest of the world might think hosting the games would be an easy feat for a country like SK. So let's also hope they actually get to enjoy the benefits. 

You hit it dead on! I am very excited for, and already very impressed with, the progress Pyeongchang has made to host these Games. I am genuinely impressed with how nice the venues are looking, how smooth the preparations have looked, and how South Korea is marketing these Games. I'm very excited for them, and I really like the idea of returning to a smaller village for the Games, as we haven't seen this really since Lillehammer in 1994. I am very excited to see what Pyeongchang does with these Games! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this overestimation on South Korea's abilty to host perfectly these games are quite exagerated by a fews. For who have been in the Korean peninsula, poverty across South Korea is as visible as China, but not as pathetic. Anyway, I believe that South Korea have been planning these games since 2003, just a year after their co-hosted FIFA WC. That is why I'm neither surprised nor pleased, simply satisfied by the good job South Koreans have been doing. Huge countries like Brazil and Russia, on the other hand,  faced real challenging logistic problems due to their territories.

I'm expecting a classical winter Olympic OC with musical masterpieces. Is it too much if my expectations are like SLC, Torino or Sochi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Well, this overestimation on South Korea's abilty to host perfectly these games are quite exagerated by a fews. For who have been in the Korean peninsula, poverty across South Korea is as visible as China, but not as pathetic. Anyway, I believe that South Korea have been planning these games since 2003, just a year after their co-hosted FIFA WC. That is why I'm neither surprised nor pleased, simply satisfied by the good job South Koreans have been doing. Huge countries like Brazil and Russia, on the other hand,  faced real challenging logistic problems due to their territories.

I'm expecting a classical winter Olympic OC with musical masterpieces. Is it too much if my expectations are like SLC, Torino or Sochi?

They did their job. It's sad the road to the games became rocky because of lack of hotel accommodations and the North, being dicks as usual. But despite everything at least there weren't large organizational problems.

As for the opening ceremony, if you expect something like Sochi you might be up for a disappointment. By the stadium alone you know we can't expect gigantic props since the cablenet isn't as strong as the massive roof we sa in 2014  They did said they want to innovate and try new things instead of trying to outmatch Sochi or Beijing, which is an argument similar to the London 2012 ceremonies producers (and most people including myself were satisfied with their ceremonies in the end). So I still remain hopeful the OC will be entertaining and fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26871094_1991717944384170_81081282531111

26863529_2111170129116756_15865440742806

26864783_142173059809443_611745687615517

26865222_333704143777479_831090720118721

26868341_882533725261802_624363215763433

26294349_1991517447841904_70640935625514

26383772_164868064159215_378977817589920

27577328_417418625383440_113958354379866

26866455_1891927067785946_34758446753387

 

26866035_1922010974688095_24625575697517

 

26866459_158745148181361_949798748693725

26378616_127015474777966_167636192502323

27575788_1617367631681384_59795478513975

27576950_2018863761735544_14653749336672

Also it seems Team Australia is going to move onto the Olympic Village in a few

26278462_2043509475666926_86953207671826

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

26871094_1991717944384170_81081282531111

26863529_2111170129116756_15865440742806

26864783_142173059809443_611745687615517

26865222_333704143777479_831090720118721

26868341_882533725261802_624363215763433

26294349_1991517447841904_70640935625514

26383772_164868064159215_378977817589920

27577328_417418625383440_113958354379866

26866455_1891927067785946_34758446753387

 

26866035_1922010974688095_24625575697517

 

26866459_158745148181361_949798748693725

26378616_127015474777966_167636192502323

27575788_1617367631681384_59795478513975

27576950_2018863761735544_14653749336672

Also it seems Team Australia is going to move onto the Olympic Village in a few

26278462_2043509475666926_86953207671826

 

These venues are looking particularly clean and sleek, especially considering they would be temporary. When I saw that many of the Pyeongchang venues would be temporary, I expected less on the architectural front due to the fact that they would simply come down once the Games were over, but I am pleasantly surprised with how sleek and modern the venues look. I really do like the Hockey Centre, I think they did really well with that venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Well, this overestimation on South Korea's abilty to host perfectly these games are quite exagerated by a fews. For who have been in the Korean peninsula, poverty across South Korea is as visible as China, but not as pathetic. Anyway, I believe that South Korea have been planning these games since 2003, just a year after their co-hosted FIFA WC. That is why I'm neither surprised nor pleased, simply satisfied by the good job South Koreans have been doing. Huge countries like Brazil and Russia, on the other hand,  faced real challenging logistic problems due to their territories.

I'm expecting a classical winter Olympic OC with musical masterpieces. Is it too much if my expectations are like SLC, Torino or Sochi?

I understand where you are coming from, but it is still good to note just how hard South Korea has worked to make these Games as perfect as possible for themselves and their country. The venues look great, and they have been completed for a while now, which certain hosts like Torino, Rio and Sochi could not say, as all of them scrambled in the final weeks to build hotels and begin last-minute infrastructure improvements. It's a nice change of events after Sochi and Rio to have a host city that has been ready for a few months now.

 

I think expecting something similar to Salt Lake, which was in a country that is no stranger to hosting Olympics, or Sochi, the most expensive Games to date, would not be fair, but expecting something similar to Torino would be. Italy is not the epitome of developed countries in the world, and neither is South Korea, in terms of rural poverty and unemployment. So, they used their international attention from the Olympics to the greatest possible extent, by creating a sleek look, and an unforgettable Opening Ceremony steeped in culture. While the venues and structure of Pyeongchang will be vastly different than that of Torino, it is safe to expect something similar to Torino in the sense that South Korea doesn't know when they'll ever do anything like this again, so they will try make the most of the international attention. Expect an Opening Ceremony deep in culture that is likely unknown to most of the world, and also some influences of the modern South Korea, showing how they want to be labeled globally from this point onwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×