Pyeongchang 2018 Look of the Games

I saw this on Facebook the other day and thought nothing of it since it was in Korean, but just today I found it in English on Twitter. Pyeongchang is reaching out to the public to vote on one of fourteen short listed designs to be their look of the games!

Vote Here: http://goo.gl/U0uCBN

Here are the twelve short listed designs with little explanations:

KszpeUx.jpg

gvQfudW.jpg

LZSNmFM.jpg

ok2nRRe.jpg

vDZYDRp.jpg

Xe1XtT1.jpg

Ndb4oKE.jpg

I personally voted for #12, but I also liked #1 and 2. I thought that #10 looked uncannily like Sochi...

• Like 1

I actually think 7 looks more like Sochi's games since they remind me of the icicles that were in the air during the closing ceremony of the Olympics and during the opening ceremony of the paralympics. Can't remember if they were around during the paralympic closing ceremony.

Hmmm, I actually thought #8 was more like Sochi since it also had mosiac diamonds with busy patterns.

#4 and #7 are... interesting... and very bland

I wish there was an option that reflected the logo :/

Uuuuuh, to be honest i'm not a big fan of neither of them. I do like 1, 2 and 3 though. 1 and 3 would work perfectly with the logo, since they're both based on the hangul alphabet.

12 looks very innovating, though. I like the pixel style of it. 8 looks a lot like the quilt motif of Sochi. The rest are just godawful, sorry.

Whatever happened to the look we saw on the logo announcement video, though? It looked very nice and certainly better than all those options.

pyeongchang_2018_01_doodles.jpg

pyeongchang_2018_02_icons.jpg

pyeongchang_2018_03_icons.jpg

pyeongchang_2018_07_stuff.jpg

pyeongchang_2018_09_stuff.jpg

• Like 2

Just how exactly will these "looks" be used and displayed at the games??? Are these the looks that go around the edges of the rink of the figure skating venue?

Yeah...where they will be used to 'prettify' and brand the venues instead of just NOTHING there. Plus, in banners, edges of material; probably the tickets, on the Official vehicles, on the barriers on the slopes, on the outfits of the Torch Relay runners and volunteers. What else does a "Look" mean?

Yeah...where they will be used to 'prettify' and brand the venues instead of just NOTHING there. Plus, in banners, edges of material; probably the tickets, on the Official vehicles, on the barriers on the slopes, on the outfits of the Torch Relay runners and volunteers. What else does a "Look" mean?

I think maybe LatinXTC's question related to the very pictorial look of the Looks. It's as if Pyeongchang intend simply to stick bits of each picture on to banners, tickets etc. rather than the Look being a set of rules, of which the pictures were illustrations.

• 3 weeks later...

That look doesn't look much like any of the options which were posted earlier. Either way it doesn't look bad, actually. It loks like a mix of Han caligraphy and traditional asian art. I agree with Hektor it looks a lot like Sochi, though.

I wouldn't be bummed out if this was the look , which it appears it is. It is rather similar to the Sochi graphics, but probably not a surprise. Both had/have a pretty simplistic logo so there is probably a need to have a far busier styled look of the Games to set it off.

Liking the mix of fluidic lines in addition to straight lines, bit different. (often hosts will pick one or the other - the jagged edges of London or the curves of Rio).

• 1 year later...

Seeing this New Year postcard from the official Facebook account and pics from the Incheon Airport and other recent events promoting the games which were done earlier this year, it seems we might have some hints about the definitive brand they are planning to use

OfN0c5b.png

board_63378_17864_thumb.jpg

board_63371_17851_thumb.jpg

board_62914_17380_thumb.jpg

Hangul characters forming snowflakes and Torino-ish curves which come in blue, red and green. Seems they want to go with a more minimalistic brand this time. 

Yeah. I like that they've kept consistency with the Hangul script theme, being in every element so far and linked with each other. It's possible the torch and the medals will also have a Hangul theme (with the torch it might be a bit harder to be done, though).

It would be neat if the torchbearer uniforms also had hangul references, like the Incheon 2014 torchbearers

133545306_14076353015401n.jpg

incheon-140822-2.jpg