Russian Doping Scandal = BIG Olympic Threat

The athletes and spectators are sure taking things into their own hands with the booing and cat calls. Loving the Americans and Australians and their near constant commentary against doping. Especially Mack Horton and Lilly King.

Edited by Faster
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Faster said:

I rarely cheer for Americans, but that was awesome. Too bad someone didn't beat Sun Yang again.

Me too - don't get me wrong, I love the USA, but they're usually the ones to beat. But they were the right Red, White and Blue to win. Good on you Lilly. And good for speaking up as well.

• Like 2

Lilly had it absolutely right, and I'm also glad to see that she also took a stand against the likes of Justin Gaitlin, rather than sparing him from criticism on account of him being a compatriot. Needless to say, I'm glad that she won - that stated, Yulia Efimova should have never been permitted to participate in the Olympic Games in the first place. There is something seriously wrong, not just with the systemic and persistent doping of Russian athletes by a nexus of organizations and individuals (the sports ministry prime amongst them), but also the flippant attitude taken by the Court of Arbitration for Sport towards the entire problem. In my view, its composition, with arbitrators steeped in the culture of NOCs, sports ministries and international federations (all of which have done quite handily out of the old system) is the key problem. How do you expect people used to and sympathizing with the old way of doing things (overlooking doping in the interest of not causing a Tour de France-style cataclysm) to effectively fight against doping?

Take a look at some of the CAS verdicts of late: The CAS has stated (all too often) that the rights of sanctioned individuals would be violated by a lifetime ban. Why? Isn't the probity of sports in general, and the maintenance of a level playing field for all athletes, no matter the influence of one's government or the depth of a country's proverbial pockets, far more important than the individual rights of an athlete who has previously been found to have cheated? Instead of mollycoddling doped athletes, the CAS should be bound to enforce automatic lifetime bans on a strict-liability basis, meaning that if you dope (in any context), you're out - and your career will be completely and utterly finished (and this should apply to absolutely anyone who cheats, regardless of whether it's a big name or a small-time cheater - whether its a Gaitlin, Johnson, Efimova, Mühlegg etc). If you cheat and enhance your physical strength, agility etc through drugs, you should be an outcast, shunned by all sportsmen, booed wherever you walk and held in complete contempt by society. International sport has been brought into so much disrepute in recent years, with rampant corruption, hyporisy, doping and self-serving deals having marred public perceptions, that only a radical paradigm change will save it and restore the sporting integrity of the Olympic Games beyond any doubt.

Otherwise all those lovely Sunday-morning speeches "contre le dopage" (Jacques Rogge in pretty much every Opening Ceremony during his time as IOC President) are without any value whatsoever. The Olympic Games will just devolve into a glorified entertainment segment, somewhere between Keeping up with the Kardashians and WWE Wrestling - instead of being the greatest sports event ever. I don't know about any of you, but when I was a child growing up in the 1980s, we celebrated Olympic winners, we looked up to them (and yes, despite Ben Johnson, who was seen as an aberrant case). Now, every single time someone gets a world record, improves his or her time or is streets ahead, or wins his n-th gold medal, there is always a suspicion: "Is Phelps doped?" "Did Bolt cheat?". If those two are clean, it's unfair towards them (and I only picked those two as famous examples of Olympians who have done well). But can I be blamed for having this suspicion at the back of my thoughts whenever those two compete?

The only way this is "fixed" is by having a brutally ruthless, strict-liability lifetime ban for anyone who is found to dope. Samples should be checked going back 16 years, to make sure that nothing is missed. Sport needs to be about sport again, not cheats fixing the table before the dice is thrown.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone has an update on the Sochi medal table? I know Russia finished on top in 2014 but the New York Times reported that a third of Russian medal winners  are involved in the doping cover up. Athletes like Lilly King should set the example for others, we shouldn't tolerate cheating from anyone, plain and simple.

• Like 1

Fantastic day for the Great Britain yesterday !!!!!

Great Britain second in the medal table now .

I hope people can now see why the Russian team had to be alawed to compete.

Countries like Britain wouldn't want people saying they are only second in the medal table because Russia wasn't there.

People can say what they want, why should anyone care? We beat Russia in the medal table four years ago so it wouldn't be much of an argument anyway. It still holds true that Bach has done bugger all about one of the most serious doping scandals in international sport.

1 hour ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Fantastic day for the Great Britain yesterday !!!!!

Great Britain second in the medal table now .

I hope people can now see why the Russian team had to be alawed to compete.

Countries like Britain wouldn't want people saying they are only second in the medal table because Russia wasn't there.

I fully agree with Rob here. German here, and currently having our backsides handed to us by the Brits - but the Russians are hardly an authority on anything other than hurt nationalistic sentiment and sophisticated, systemic doping of their own athletes. I'm sure they will be laughed off the court of public opinion should they even so much as utter a peep against other countries. Just spare me the fake outrage and sanctimonious BS from Moscow. Philip Craven had it right for the Paralympics - sadly, Thomas Bach had no such spine. The irony being that the Paralympics may never happen...which, if my legal training hasn't completely deserted me, is not force majeure and therefore a breach of contract, for which the Rio 2016 Committee (and, by the extension, the city of Rio de Janeiro and even the Brazilian state - within the framework of its guarantee to the IOC) can be sued.

• Like 1

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad our  Medal winning athleats in years to come wont have to say I won this or these meddles at the Rio Olympics,but there was a controversy over doping and Russia wasn't there,

they will be able to say we won this /these medals at the Rio Olympics full stop.

As I said, pointless aspersions and hypotheticals don't matter. I'm more concerned with the athletes - not just from GB - who finished 4th or 3rd or 2nd behind Russians who cleanliness cannot be proven because their nation has chosen to cheat and been allowed - largely - to get away with it.

• Like 1

this is a ridiculous discussion to have. state sponsored doping programs break the rules of the sport and therefore the state NOC should be automatically DQ'd from participating, just the same if they broke any other rule like stepping over the line in track, bribing judges, or colluding. constantly revised medal tables is not a solution.

anyway, here's a handy guide to all the rio athletes who have been suspended in the past.

At Least 120 Athletes at the Rio Olympics Have Previously Been Suspended for Doping

• Like 1

The Russians often do add something a bit unique to the Olympics... I'm glad they aren't 100% gone. If you weren't watching the team sync swimming (and I'm pretty sure most of you weren't) get the video from your country's provider (I'll put a link in for the US). 

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/russia-captures-team-synchronized-swimming-gold-fifth-straight-olympics

On 19/08/2016 at 8:42 PM, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

this is a ridiculous discussion to have. state sponsored doping programs break the rules of the sport and therefore the state NOC should be automatically DQ'd from participating, just the same if they broke any other rule like stepping over the line in track, bribing judges, or colluding. constantly revised medal tables is not a solution.

anyway, here's a handy guide to all the rio athletes who have been suspended in the past.

At Least 120 Athletes at the Rio Olympics Have Previously Been Suspended for Doping

I wonder why there isn't an automatic lifetime ban for anyone convicted of doping (especially if they have been caught TWICE)? <_<

On 16/08/2016 at 2:17 PM, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

NO!!!!!!!

Blanket bans just damage the whole of the Olympics.

Even more than doping?

1 hour ago, Mainad said:

I wonder why there isn't an automatic lifetime ban for anyone convicted of doping (especially if they have been caught TWICE)? <_<

i completely agree and if i were a european aristocrat who had dabbled in bobsledding or show jumping, i would be in a position to do something about it. but i'm not so all i can do is retweet lily king and complain on the internet :/