And then there were Five...

hektor

If Shrine Auditorium can be used, I don't see why the Walt Disney Concert Hall can't.

Then I suggest you have your vision checked to make sure you're seeing properly.

Let's dispense with the obvious. Shrine Auditorium has a capacity of 6,300. Walt Disney Concert Hall is 2,265. A lot of those seats would have to be used to media and other officials, so you're probably looking at a capacity of less than 2,000. Latin brought up the size of the stage, which I agree seems much smaller at Disney. Even if that stage wasn't a permanent feature, tell us.. where exactly are the athletes supposed to go? Proper sporting venues need to have adequate facilities for the athletes (among other things). At Shrine, there's probably some space behind the stage and other areas they can use. Not sure you'd have that at Disney.

I can see how Shrine would set up for weightlifting, even though I wonder where they'd find space for all the support areas they need. Can't see any sport working at Disney. It's too small. There's not enough enough room. And just.. no.

I can. Look at the difference in stages. Shrine Auditorium is flat whereas Walt Disney Concert Hall has raised steps which are more than likely a permanent feature. And also the stage looks smaller.

the stage area is totally modular, the steps are set for orchestral music, they can be removed.

however, it is half the capacity of the shrine I htink.

I can. Look at the difference in stages. Shrine Auditorium is flat whereas Walt Disney Concert Hall has raised steps which are more than likely a permanent feature. And also the stage looks smaller.

Then I suggest you have your vision checked to make sure you're seeing properly.

Let's dispense with the obvious. Shrine Auditorium has a capacity of 6,300. Walt Disney Concert Hall is 2,265. A lot of those seats would have to be used to media and other officials, so you're probably looking at a capacity of less than 2,000. Latin brought up the size of the stage, which I agree seems much smaller at Disney. Even if that stage wasn't a permanent feature, tell us.. where exactly are the athletes supposed to go? Proper sporting venues need to have adequate facilities for the athletes (among other things). At Shrine, there's probably some space behind the stage and other areas they can use. Not sure you'd have that at Disney.

I can see how Shrine would set up for weightlifting, even though I wonder where they'd find space for all the support areas they need. Can't see any sport working at Disney. It's too small. There's not enough enough room. And just.. no.

Okay, so I did a bit of research and found this video:

lo and behold, the steps are modular (as Paul pointed out), and there is, in fact, space behind the stage. In addition, the several rows of seats in front and behind the stage can be used as stage-space. I'm not sure if this makes the Walt Disney Concert Hall any more fit to hold Olympic-sized sporting events, but I'm just putting it out there that it can definitely make the space for some sort of event (besides orchestra).

ZWJn24T.png

I don't even understand why the committee even put the Disney Concert Hall up there in the first place.

I can see how Shrine would set up for weightlifting, even though I wonder where they'd find space for all the support areas they need.

The Shrine Auditorium is HUGE; very large stage, and large backstage area. The Shrine also has the attached Shrine Expo Center, which is used for various events, like trade shows, concerts, banquets, etc. And for a number of years now, the SAG Awards have been held at the Shrine Expo Center in a dinner banquet-style format. So there's a lot of room for support areas.

A bit of trivia, before the LA Sports Arena was built, the USC basketball team played their home games at the Shrine Auditorium, actually using the stage as the basketball court, with spectators seated in the auditorium, so sports is no stranger to the Shrine.

And of course after the Galen Center was built in 2006, USC basketball left the Sports Arena to play there.

The Sydney Opera House Concert Hall was selected for weightlifting in the 1996 Bid- which I always found a bit weird, and wonderful too. At least the acoustics would be good!

Hamer Hall at the Arts Centre in Melbourne was the choice for Weightlifting in their 1996 bid. at around 2,500 it wasn't necessarily huge in capacity.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed the title of this thread is very poor english. "And they are five". That makes no sense grammatically.

It was good enough for the English translators of Dutch theologian Herman Wits' De œconomia foederum Dei cum hominibus (translating the Latin sentence "Ea autem sunt quinque" at the beginning of a list of the five benefits bestowed by the Lord on his chosen people in the Old Testament).

The Shrine Auditorium is HUGE; very large stage, and large backstage area. The Shrine also has the attached Shrine Expo Center, which is used for various events, like trade shows, concerts, banquets, etc. And for a number of years now, the SAG Awards have been held at the Shrine Expo Center in a dinner banquet-style format. So there's a lot of room for support areas.

A bit of trivia, before the LA Sports Arena was built, the USC basketball team played their home games at the Shrine Auditorium, actually using the stage as the basketball court, with spectators seated in the auditorium, so sports is no stranger to the Shrine.

And of course after the Galen Center was built in 2006, USC basketball left the Sports Arena to play there.

I attended a WNBA game at Radio City Music Hall when the Liberty were temporarily playing there. This was the set-up. The court barely fit on the stage..

9-radio-city-music-hall-wnba_650.jpg

So a sport like weightlfting, where you almost want the crowd all to be on 1 side sets up perfectly for a venue like Shrine.

I attended a WNBA game at Radio City Music Hall when the Liberty were temporarily playing there. This was the set-up. The court barely fit on the stage..

9-radio-city-music-hall-wnba_650.jpg

So a sport like weightlfting, where you almost want the crowd all to be on 1 side sets up perfectly for a venue like Shrine.

Please don't tell me you're a WNBA fan Quaker

Well, people forget how the Shrine was used in LA 1984. It was actually a big kitchen support area for the USC Village. They took away most of the orchestra seats, built a platform over the orchestra pit area so that the stage and the orchestra seating area flowed as one surface...and then used the Hall in preparing foods (like salads, etc.) that didn't require cooking or the use of stoves. It was a huge operation.

I think it's too big for weightlifting which would be IMO the only suitable sport there. Trampoline gymnastics might be good there...but I don't think they separate that from the rest of the gymnastics action.

Well, people forget how the Shrine was used in LA 1984. It was actually a big kitchen support area for the USC Village. They took away most of the orchestra seats, built a platform over the orchestra pit area so that the stage and the orchestra seating area flowed as one surface...and then used the Hall in preparing foods (like salads, etc.) that didn't require cooking or the use of stoves. It was a huge operation.

I think it's too big for weightlifting which would be IMO the only suitable sport there. Trampoline gymnastics might be good there...but I don't think they separate that from the rest of the gymnastics action.

6,300 seats is too big for weightlifting? That size works perfectly and falls in line with previous Games venues for the event. Trampoline gymnastics has to be held in a venue with at least 12,000 seats. Not to mention how big of a safety risk using trampolines on a stage poses.

Picture!

VzcQEHC.png

It's blurry, but the court fits.

Maybe if Baron ran the games, weightlifting could be at the Walt Disney Concert Hall *hint hint* *wink wink* :P

Everything is a minor sport in your book

pretty much. I mean remember, sports are NOT "needs." Hasn't helped people w/ cancer or all those refugees fleeing for their lives. So please put sports in the right priority. Yeah...yeah...cue "Ceremonies" spiel. Do you really think I'm serious about that?? :rolleyes:

P.S. The Oscars have also been staged at the Shrine.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...