Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

On 5/6/2017 at 10:31 AM, stryker said:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1049896/calgary-would-need-two-full-sized-arenas-to-host-2026-winter-olympics-committee-says

Calgary needs two full-sized arenas. No surprise there as that's more or less a requirement to host a WOGs these days. The question then is it either the Victoria Park plan or the CalgaryNEXT plan for the new arena. I would assume the Saddledome would be kept around until after the Olympics and then torn down. Can't see Calgary needing two arenas that size.

The Corral, the old arena right next to the Saddledome, is slated to be torn down as the Calgary Stampede wants to turn the convention centre into a class 1 facility and expand the exhibition space. I can see Stampede taking over the Saddledome if a new arena was built directly to the north. They use it anyway during the stampede for the heavy horse pull competition and concerts.

Some tidbits in the news around here recently:

2026 Bid:

In the news today:

CBC News: Majority of Calgarians and Bow Valley residents support Olympic bid, according to new poll

Infrastructure:

C-Train:

In the news yesterday:

CBC News: 1st phase of Green Line LRT approved by city council

Phase 1 was approved yesterday. Construction start date is 2020, with a completion date of 2026. Hmmm, coincidence? There's talk if we get the games, the blue line would be extended to the airport, which is badly needed.

Bobsled track:

CBC News: $20M renovation will dramatically change Calgary's bobsled and luge track

Construction is supposed to begin in the summer of 2018.

I figured the Stampede Corral's days would be numbered if and when a new arena is built. It would make sense though to keep it around at least through 2026 in the event Calgary were to be successful in hosting. They'd need a secondary ice hockey venue. Regarding the Calgary Stampede, didn't plans with Calgary NEXT call for them using the proposed fieldhouse/stadium? If that were the case, then I would assume the Saddledome would be demolished.

Calgary could always need a smaller-capacity arena beyond 2026 if the Stampede Corral meets its end for smaller concerts, ice hockey, and minor league basketball when the new Calgary arena is simply too big for those events. 

Nice new Calgary arena wishlist. Pretty much have to remind myself that the Scotiabank Olympic Saddledome actually holds a smaller lower bowl capacity than many and much younger NHL/NBA arenas with the sightlines distant from the action. Does need to boost the premium lower bowl seating numbers for the new one. Inceasing the luxury boxes and club seating is a must as well to better attract more events. More and better wi-fi. But will it replicate the noise factor the Saddledome has but improve upon the acoustics?

http://flameforthought.com/2017/05/13/calgary-flames-new-arena-wishlist/

15 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Suggestion for 2nd hockey venue:

4318509.jpg?size=640x420

If the IOC doesn't allow for anymore outdoor long-track speed skating, then it sure as hell won't allow for that. Especially with godawful seating arrangement like that. No one is going to pay big money to see a game live but with binoculars.

4 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

If the IOC doesn't allow for anymore outdoor long-track speed skating, then it sure as hell won't allow for that. Especially with godawful seating arrangement like that. No one is going to pay big money to see a game live but with binoculars.

These people, and the people in the image above disagree that people won't buy tickets for outdoor hockey. As for what the IOC allows... I want the IOC to *change the rules* on what they allow. You want people to actually believe you care about costs and about not being a burden on host cities? Then allow outdoor long-track speed skating for gosh sakes. 

BigChill_Pano-thumb-590x388-83597.jpg

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

These people, and the people in the image above disagree that people won't buy tickets for outdoor hockey. As for what the IOC allows... I want the IOC to *change the rules* on what they allow. You want people to actually believe you care about costs and about not being a burden on host cities? Then allow outdoor long-track speed skating for gosh sakes. 

BigChill_Pano-thumb-590x388-83597.jpg

Anybody who pays any amount of money for a game in this setting is an idiot.

12 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

And I think the reason they also went with an enclosed stadium is for weather reasons. Remember it rained in Vancouver a couple of days during competition? These events cannot afford to have weather delays since they're under a timely schedule.

Calgary would be snow, not rain. And you can skate outside in the snow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting press conference about the latest announcement from the bid exploration committee: (video) CTV: Extended: Calgary's Bid committee answers questions

Interesting. Sounds like Lake Louise is being considered to host some skiing events. From my place it's a 15 minute drive to Canada Olympic Park and 2 hrs to Lake Louise. Would it be considered too far? Nakiska isn't being left out though.

3 hours ago, SkiFreak said:

Interesting press conference about the latest announcement from the bid exploration committee: (video) CTV: Extended: Calgary's Bid committee answers questions

Interesting. Sounds like Lake Louise is being considered to host some skiing events. From my place it's a 15 minute drive to Canada Olympic Park and 2 hrs to Lake Louise. Would it be considered too far? Nakiska isn't being left out though.

I think this is still a good distance from outside events. But I guess we need to check the IOC Chart. Anyway, if Calgary is on with this bid, I don't think this distance will be a huge obstacle considering the current slate of contenders.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone happens to be in town for the Stampede, head over to the upper floor of the Big Four building. Pyeongchang 2018 has a stand there and you can score free mascot pins by tweeting, Instagramming, etc. your photo with the 2018 Winter Games mascots.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, intoronto said:

I could be wrong on this, but I suspect the IOC will make some sort of statement on this in the next few days. Given how they responded after Calgary released a possible budget for the Olympics and the IOC's desire to be more hands on in the 2026 race, it would not be surprising if the IOC made some sort of public statement encouraging Calgary to stick with it, especially with referendums hanging over Sion and Innsbruck. The last thing the IOC wants is a race with just Almaty and Ezurum, or worse just one of the two. 

• Like 1

If I were a Calgarian my biggest worry would be the security costs. The other stuff should be OK: I think we all know that the Flames will successfully blackmail Calgary into building a new arena for the Flames anyway.

Considering the Winter Olympics were the initial set of Games that were in trouble (with bidders dropping like flies), I wouldn't be surprised either now if the IOC were to make another unprecedented move, in order to avoid more "too many losers", & perhaps also try to award the 2026 & 2030 Winter Olympics together to two solid hosts, i.e. Innsbruck 2026 & Calgary 2030. And I would suspect Austria being more in favor in a referendum, bcuz the Swiss just seem hellbent against the Olympics no matter what, i.e. the already failed Graubunden 2026 bid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FYI said:

Considering the Winter Olympics were the initial set of Games that were in trouble (with bidders dropping like flies), I wouldn't be surprised either now if the IOC were to make another unprecedented move, in order to avoid more "too many losers", & perhaps also try to award the 2026 & 2030 Winter Olympics together to two solid hosts, i.e. Innsbruck 2026 & Calgary 2030. And I would suspect Austria being more in favor in a referendum, bcuz the Swiss just seem hellbent against the Olympics no matter what, i.e. the already failed Graubunden 2026 bid.

Interesting- just out of interest, can anyone see any major down sides to picking the next 2 hosts (summer or winter)..there must be risks...the world losing interest in bidding for 8 years, unknowns of a city/country 11 years ahead....

Well, some were already citing major down sides if the IOC was to award 2024 & 2028 together. But here we are, the IOC earlier this month "approved" just that. To award Paris & L.A. the 2024 & 2028 Olympics. All that needs to be settled now is which one of those cities goes first.

As for cities losing interest in bidding eight years out? Well, we already have (Western) Germany & India talking about 2032. And I'm sure Australia & China would join that mix soon, too. 

The 2024/2028 double-award was a one shot deal for the Summer Olympics, And considering that the Winter Olympics are the ones that seem more in trouble, then a one shot deal double-award there could also be of interest to the IOC.

As far as risks are concerned, I think that would be more of an issue in developing countries than in developed ones. Although, in Europe, referendums seem to be the major issue, so therefore in such a scenario, it would be prudent for the European city to go first anyway.

As far as the double awarding concept goes, it worked out well for 2024 and 2028 because the IOC had two quality candidates. I'm sure if the U.S. elected to sit out 2024 after the Boston bid crumbled, we wouldn't be having this conversation. As for 2026 and 2030, I don't know if the IOC would have two quality candidates with the Calgary bid seemingly dead and referendums hanging over Sion and Innsbruck. Salt Lake has discussed a possible 2030 bid and I have to wonder if things go south in the 2026 race if the IOC would encourage the USOC to put forth Salt Lake a bit earlier (2026)