SkiFreak

Calgary 2026

We should know by 10pm MST (Calgary time) the outcome of the plebiscite.

Unofficial results just in! With almost 305K votes casted, it was almost 133K votes FOR (nearly 44%), & almost 172K votes AGAINST (nearly 56.5%). So looks like this bid is done for. And then there were two!

Stockholm better bring out Chazz Michael Michaels.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

Stockholm better bring out Chazz Michael Michaels.

Sweden might not have a government for a while so things are not looking good for Sweden maybe get them to host the 2030 Winter Games I don't see them forming a government by June next year. 

At least in 2026 my kitchen cupboards won't be overflowing with Petro Canada drinking glasses.

.....it must be nice for Calgary to have the city council stop playing hollywood with the IOC..........and to hopefully get them back to work instead of pursuing their vanity/fantasy project. How annoying to have a mayor spending so much time on party planning and self promotion.....I guess it's easier and more fun that focusing on economic issues that are hard. Time for new leadership in Calgary.

:( Whaa, it ends tomorrow.

Calgary Herald: Olympic bid expected to officially be put to rest Monday

I'd still like to see Calgary make another attempt at it in the future, it's just too many things are out of whack right now. The city is broke enough that they can't even afford new C-train cars. We need our two pipelines built. Locally we need the Greenline built with extension to the airport, Victoria Park build-out with new events centre, field house, and then maybe attempt another bid.

Braid: Council craziness, and talk of an Edmonton Olympic rescue

But council’s flailing did show how much regret is on the loose out there. Many people would still like to find a way to rescue the bid.

To that end there have been efforts for several days toward Edmonton stepping in. Influential people in both cities have been making a lot of calls.

<_<

Edited by paul

52 minutes ago, paul said:

But council’s flailing did show how much regret is on the loose out there. Many people would still like to find a way to rescue the bid.

To that end there have been efforts for several days toward Edmonton stepping in. Influential people in both cities have been making a lot of calls.

<_<

Memo to the province of Alberta..

tenor.gif?itemid=7960177

On 11/20/2018 at 11:21 PM, paul said:

<_<

Edmonton is out to lunch. For me it was a Yes for Calgary (because we have the venues), but a No for Edmonton.

And now some of the fallout from the failed bid:

Global News: Calgary luge, bobsleigh upgrade projects shelved due to funding issues: WinSport

“I want to inform you that we have made the difficult decision to stop the track renovation project,” said WinSport president and CEO Barry Heck. “The sliding track at WinSport was built for the 1988 Olympics. It’s more than 30 years old and at the end of its life cycle.”

:angry:

Maybe another go in the future?

CBC: Is Calgary's Olympic past still a legacy, or just history?

"This is an Olympic city. It will always be an Olympic city. We will have the Winter Olympics again sometime. We're going to have a brand new hockey arena, although it's not called that. It's called an event centre. The money will be found to upgrade those bobsled tracks, I almost can guarantee you."

Things that have transpired over the last few days. The City still wants to do:

• The BMO Centre expansion (what would've been the media centre for 2026. They want to start digging the ground for it this year.)
  • Events Centre (NHL arena)
  • Field House
  • Arts Commons Expansion (next to Olympic Plaza)

CBC: Calgary council OKs plan for $1.5B in capital projects, including new arena, but keeps details secret

On 3/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, SkiFreak said:

Maybe another go in the future?

CBC: Is Calgary's Olympic past still a legacy, or just history?

Things that have transpired over the last few days. The City still wants to do:

• The BMO Centre expansion (what would've been the media centre for 2026. They want to start digging the ground for it this year.)
  • Events Centre (NHL arena)
  • Field House
  • Arts Commons Expansion (next to Olympic Plaza)

CBC: Calgary council OKs plan for $1.5B in capital projects, including new arena, but keeps details secret

I saw today where Calgary was forced to give up the 2021 Luge Championships to Whistler because WinSport could not guarantee the needed upgrades which probably would've gone through if the bid at least survived a referendum. One of my colleagues who's from the Calgary area predicts the WinSport sliding track will be demolished within the next two years with the Whistler track becoming Canada's main track for training and international events

Given how specialized the sliding events are, does it even make sense for a country to have more than one sliding track?

No, especially if the IOC continue on the path of multi-centre, national-scale (even multinational) Olympics. It might even get to the point where Olympic sliding events are almost rotated around the existing tracks, held in whichever one happens to be closest. I’d certainly be surprised if any completely new tracks are built for many years once China complete theirs.