Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

13 minutes ago, paul said:

"By terminating the plebiscite today, you will be saying to all Calgarians: I am taking away your right to decide," Scott Hutcheson says.

Well, going by most of tweets yesterday, most Calgarians want to end this “charade” of a bid now. And probably won’t care about something like Hutcheson says.

Uhm, can someone be so kind and quickly summarise for a poor European reader if Calgary is still a thing? I’m really not getting this anymore (also because I’m on holiday in that “standby” city JAS Jr keeps talking of...experienced the three hour drive to the ski resorts in the Pyrenees myself today).

Is the bid still alive?

Will there be a referendum?

If both yes, does anyone believe it will pass?

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I’m really not getting this anymore (also because I’m on holiday in that “standby” city JAS Jr keeps talking of...)

:lol:

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Is the bid still alive?

Will there be a referendum?

If both yes, does anyone believe it will pass?

Thanks! 

Council just voted to save it.

Yes - Nov. 13th. 

If many of those online poll comments are any indication, I’d say no then.

No prob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I wonder if the IOC is pondering if they really need these kind of headaches for the next 7 years...

Regardless of the plebiscite result it really seems like Calgary is just not feeling it - there is no momentum or enthusiasm.

Right now, all the IOC should be concerned about is the next 7 months.  They could do worse than Calgary, although I agree that this Calgary bid as it is currently going is a mess.  And the biggest shame of it all is it's likely to sour Calgary on the Olympics for a long time to come and possibly Canada as well.

6 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I wonder if the IOC is pondering if they really need these kind of headaches for the next 7 years...

Regardless of the plebiscite result it really seems like Calgary is just not feeling it - there is no momentum or enthusiasm.

...as long as we can keep the patient breathing and get through the plebiscite there is still hope for Mary Moran to at least get her severance package. Never give up Calgary......you have Mary to think about.

Went to the Yes 2026 rally today. listened to speeches by various athletes including Michael "Eddie the Eagle" Edwards and the world's fastest man in 1996, Donovan Bailey. Big speech by the mayor too. Picked up some swag; got a t-shirt and some buttons. You'll see on twitter as someone pointed out, about a quarter of the seats were empty - just bad timing. Tomorrow the advance polls begin. We'll see what happens next week.

From the CBC plebiscite town-hall in Calgary tonight some yes.....fewer no....mostly undecided.

A very interesting discussion, there was about 15 minutes of heavy criticism focused on the IOC, questions of integrity, doping, lack of flexibility etc......the Mayor really drove that conversation and it felt a bit awkward....Mary Moran tried to reel it back...you really should watch it if you have any interest. link

Drcg6wvWkAA8CCE.jpg

Drcg6wxXcAE8jk0.jpg

Drcg6wwX0AE18PW.jpg

p.s. of course Nenshi referenced Rob Livingstones GB article calling the bid the most transparent in history. 

Edited by paul

CBC News: First look at Olympic hub around McMahon Stadium revealed

Concourse of 1960s football venue would be transformed with accessibility front of mind, says Calgary 2026

mcmahon-2026.JPG

^Just for orientation, this is facing south. That's Crowchild trail on the left with the pedestrian bridge to the C-Train along Banff Trail. Looks like they're planning to turn McMahon Stadium's east parking lot into a celebration site. But I'm curious, I wonder if they are still planning to use the Stampede Grandstand for medal ceremonies? They could probably have them outside of McMahon.

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Will there be a recount (and lawsuits) if the difference is less than .05%?

I'm sure there would be a recount - any election that close would likely face a recount.  I don't think there'd be any lawsuits - it's a non-binding plebiscite, so in theory Council can still do whatever they want anyway; although even if losing by one vote, Provincial and Federal funding vanishes, and so does the bid.

This is the first time that Calgary is using electronic vote counting machines, so I'm not sure if a recount would even be worthwhile?