Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

On 9/15/2015 at 5:09 PM, LatinXTC said:

Wasn't there a comment made somewhere that the COC won't bid for a WOGs before Toronto successfully wins the bid for a SOGs? So either Calgary will be in for a rude awakening, or once again the COC will screw over Toronto's chances of hosting a SOGs in the near future.

Toronto probably won't get 2032 anyways because of continental rotation..

Wasn't there a comment made somewhere that the COC won't bid for a WOGs before Toronto successfully wins the bid for a SOGs? So either Calgary will be in for a rude awakening, or once again the COC will screw over Toronto's chances of hosting a SOGs in the near future.

Toronto probably won't get 2032 anyways because of Los Angeles.

Toronto probably won't get 2032 anyways..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so, after the city council surprise in favor vote, what are our odds in Calgary clearing the hurdles to 2026?  Is this 50/50?  If politicians go with the voters, is it totally in the hands of voters?

Polling to date has been pretty favorable for Calgary at the local government level, between 60-70 percent.  

Was downtown yesterday watching the Stampede parade and somehow I missed him, but our old '88 buddy Michael "Eddie the Eagle" Edwards was in the parade to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the 88 winter games. Or was he here in town to do something with the 2026 bid Co?

.... interesting that the Stampede Grandstand was being shown as the Ceremonies venue, with a wink and a nudge with mentions to make sure it can fit a CFL field. I got this from a friend...

go here - > http://publicaccess.calgary.ca/searchCCProc/index.htm

and enter this in the search field -> OLYMPIC BID EXPLORATION UPDATE- C2017-0541 - APPENDIX_4I

Mentions a CFL sized raised stage on page 34 - and the reno diagrams for the Ceremony scenairo actually show a cfl sized field with lines.

This really should be easy for all parties. The Flames need a new arena and it is worth *some* public money to Calgary to keep them there. Likewise with the Stampeders and their stadium. The IOC and sponsors can kick in enough money to bring the ski jumping hills back into operational status. New dorms for the University of Calgary should suffice for the athletes village. It is also worth some public investment to Alberta and Calgary to promote the local ski industry.

Hopefully the city, provincial government, Flames and Stampeders owners, et al find a way to make reasonable compromises.

9 hours ago, Techno Dragon said:

and also... the earliest for a Toronto bid is 2036 with the bid building off the "success" of hosting a few 2026 world cup games at BMO. However with the new climate I dont see Toronto ever bidding unless they figure out the stadium issue.

It's not just the main stadium. Almost none of the marquee venues from the Pan-American Games are Olympic-capable. Personally I think that's great news for Ontario, as it does need grassroots-friendly sporting venues and it does not need a bunch of Olympic-sized albatrosses. But hosting the big show would require Toronto to build a second velodrome, most likely two more aquatics centers, etc in addition to the main stadium. If I were an Ontario taxpayer I would not be pleased with that idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 11:19 PM, Nacre said:

This really should be easy for all parties. The Flames need a new arena and it is worth *some* public money to Calgary to keep them there. Likewise with the Stampeders and their stadium. The IOC and sponsors can kick in enough money to bring the ski jumping hills back into operational status. New dorms for the University of Calgary should suffice for the athletes village. It is also worth some public investment to Alberta and Calgary to promote the local ski industry.

Hopefully the city, provincial government, Flames and Stampeders owners, et al find a way to make reasonable compromises.

The ski jumping complex is set to be torn down. Costs were too high to renovate it. The Flames are way off on a new arena and there's not likely to be any serious discussions unless the Flames threaten to move. As for the stadium, McMahon Stadium which is hosting the CFL Grey Cup next year, is receiving only minimal upgrades including temporary luxury suites that can be dismantled afterwards. I don't know much about the University of Calgary, but do they even need new housing? I think you'll see some money kicked in for minimal upgrades to McMahon Stadium and the Oval and the sliding track is ready to go.

I think when Calgary finally unveils their venue plans you'll see figure skating/short track and the ice hockey finals at the Saddledome. Ice hockey pool games in Edmonton with either the ENMAX Centre in Lethbridge or the ENMAX Centrium in Red Deer as the secondary venue. Ski jumping, nordic combined, and perhaps cross-country skiing will all be done in Vancouver. A venue plan as such would've been unthinkable ten years ago, but today the IOC has no choice unless the IIHF and the IOC want to pay for a new Flames arena.

This may seem silly but with a venue plan like that, would they be better served with a straight Vancouver bid? I know it's only 16 years but 2010 was a hugely successful games & since it'll probably only be up against Erzurum...the IOC have surely already learned that beggars can't be choosers. 

19 minutes ago, yoshi said:

This may seem silly but with a venue plan like that, would they be better served with a straight Vancouver bid? I know it's only 16 years but 2010 was a hugely successful games & since it'll probably only be up against Erzurum...the IOC have surely already learned that beggars can't be choosers. 

Interesting that you bring that up because in terms of venues, Vancouver is actually in better shape than Calgary right now. Vancouver would probably have to use Calgary's speed skating oval as I believe the oval in Richmond was repurposed and then there would need to be a new Olympic Village built.

Back to Calgary though if they are intent on proposing a bare bones Olympics with a spread out plan that isn't even in the typical ice cluster/outdoor cluster then maybe that sets a model for getting more skeptics on board

9 hours ago, stryker said:

Interesting that you bring that up because in terms of venues, Vancouver is actually in better shape than Calgary right now. Vancouver would probably have to use Calgary's speed skating oval as I believe the oval in Richmond was repurposed and then there would need to be a new Olympic Village built.

Back to Calgary though if they are intent on proposing a bare bones Olympics with a spread out plan that isn't even in the typical ice cluster/outdoor cluster then maybe that sets a model for getting more skeptics on board

It was re-purposed, but it can be returned back into the oval without it costing too much. 

Good to see I have a fan out there.  I'm flattered.

10 hours ago, stryker said:

The ski jumping complex is set to be torn down. Costs were too high to renovate it. The Flames are way off on a new arena and there's not likely to be any serious discussions unless the Flames threaten to move. As for the stadium, McMahon Stadium which is hosting the CFL Grey Cup next year, is receiving only minimal upgrades including temporary luxury suites that can be dismantled afterwards. I don't know much about the University of Calgary, but do they even need new housing? I think you'll see some money kicked in for minimal upgrades to McMahon Stadium and the Oval and the sliding track is ready to go.

I think when Calgary finally unveils their venue plans you'll see figure skating/short track and the ice hockey finals at the Saddledome. Ice hockey pool games in Edmonton with either the ENMAX Centre in Lethbridge or the ENMAX Centrium in Red Deer as the secondary venue. Ski jumping, nordic combined, and perhaps cross-country skiing will all be done in Vancouver. A venue plan as such would've been unthinkable ten years ago, but today the IOC has no choice unless the IIHF and the IOC want to pay for a new Flames arena.

The IOC doesn't get to make the choice here.  Either Calgary bids or they don't and at this point, not sure there's much the IOC can say or do to sway their opinion.  And the rumblings are that indeed the plan would extend beyond Calgary.. Calgary proposes holding events for the 2026 Olympic Games in Whistler, B.C., Edmonton, Alta.

Yes, that would create some interesting logistical challenges.  I'll borrow a quote from Christophe Dubi from the ITG article.. "The Games are only successful if they make sense economically, if they make sense socially, if they make sense environmentally"

So that's the fundamental question here.  Does it make sense?  Not for the IOC.  But for Calgary.  For the COC.  And whoever else is involved.  I've seen a good point brought up that if Whistler is involved, that could mean additional funding from the provincial government.  Obviously that would help.  The question should never be "could this work."  There are more than a few Olympic plans that could work in theory.  Fewer that might actually work in practice.  Can this work in practice?  

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

It was re-purposed, but it can be returned back into the oval without it costing too much. 

Unfortunately the Richmond Oval will never be an oval again. It cannot meet ISU requirements now because of the same geological concerns that meant VANOC and Richmond had to spend an extra couple of million to stabilize the foundations between 2005 and 2008 when it opened. 

As for ski jumping. As far as I've read the plan is to use Whistler for ski jumping and nordic combined and use Canmore for cross country and biathlon. Similar plan is in place for the other FIS events with Nakiska being used for snowboarding and freestyle skiing and alpine being at Lake Louis. As far as I know the IOC and FIS have already said this plan would be acceptable. I also believe that Edmonton is seriously being considered for one of the ice hockey venues.

and perhaps that may be the true reason they are more keen for 2030.  Alright IOC, time to make sure those bank account numbers and routing numbers are still up to date,  SLC is going to need it to be the 2026 hero, and they are going to want all of the concessions that come along with that chivalrous move.  Los Angeles is also gonna get rewarded handily for letting SLC jump them.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 8:11 AM, RuFF said:

Was researching the Skiing venue in the Sapporo bid. Looks like the venue is located over two hours away in an area that is severely lacking infrastructure. A population of under 5,000 people. Not saying it’s not doable but it seems a bit of a stretch. 

Which is why there is a plan B - covering the existing 1972 Makomanai Open Air Stadium (which is still used each winter).  Obihiro is not severely lacking in infrastructure.  It is on the main East to West JR Hokkaido line.  It is a 3 hour train trip from Sapporo though.

13 hours ago, RuFF said:

You can almost hear the Calgary bid dying and suffering a painful death in hell:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/calgary-2026-accused-predetermining-outcome-154059854.html

In that case let's hope the new Ontario Premier Doug Ford cuts the Toronto City council in half in doing so it would clear away the dead wood anti development people on the council, Let's hope they are serious in getting and hosting the 2030 Commonwealth Games in Toronto Build a stadium like Stadium Australia and Stade De France. The Toronto Canada 2030 Commonwealth Games would be a great warm up to the Toronto Canada 2032 Summer Games. 

If Salt Lake City is the hero of the 2026 with Los Angeles hosting the 2028 games it might be good for a back to back summer games in North America we might get another back to back winter games in Asia with likely Sapporo Japan 2030 - Almaty Kazakhstan 2034 if Toronto does host the 2032 games.

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

I'm REAAAALLY struggling to believe that LA is going to be ok with a US Olympics in 2026. A WOG & FIFA WC in 2026 steals the thunder from a potentially more profitable SOG in 2028. LA, IMHO, is going to press for the less profitable games to come in 2030. I also think LA will press more for a Tahoe games than a SLC games, primarily because the games are partially backed by the State of California.. and Lake Tahoe is in.. well California. That's not to say that SLC is not better equipped, it's more to say that LA2028 doesn't have any real vested interest in 2026 going before them. I see that one as a dead end, but who knows. 

It’s not up to L.A. to decide that, though. If the IOC is backed into a corner, with no one else really wanting to host 2026, then I can see SLC being “called upon” to take over those Games.

“It’s important to also note” here, that  there’s a reason why the USOC submitted their letter of interest to the IOC before the 2026 deadline. Even though that letter mentioned 2030. But why bother with that TBW, unless the USOC wanted to be part of that “conversation” - *just in case*.

7 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

If Salt Lake City is the hero of the 2026 with Los Angeles hosting the 2028 games it might be good for a back to back summer games in North America we might get another back to back winter games in Asia with likely Sapporo Japan 2030 - Almaty Kazakhstan 2034 if Toronto does host the 2032 games.

Unless no one else were to bid (or at the very least, someone one viable being at the IOC voting table), there ain’t going to be no back-to-back North American Summer Games, or yet another back-to-back Asian Winter Games.

Lets remember the reason why there’s back-to-back Asian Winter Games now is due bcuz the IOC had no other alternative in the end bcuz all of the European options for 2032 dropped out. So let’s not set-up a “trend” here of some sort simply bcuz of one instance that was beyond the IOC’s control TBW. If there are viable options from elsewhere (& at this point, it looks like there will be), then that’s where the IOC will go before going back-to-back to North America.

USOC end prospects of bid for 2026 Winter Olympics over fears it would negatively affect Los Angeles 2028

LA cannot seek damages because of a 2026 Olympics in the United States. Unless it is specifically laid out that way in their contract with the IOC and I doubt it is

As the article notes, the USOC has said they are not planning on bidding for 2026, but could be persuaded to do so, especially if a double allocation is on the table (i.e. an incentivized deal, much like LA worked out for 2028).  They may the decision. The LA folks can have an opinion and the USOC will be mindful of that, as opposed to the 2026 World Cup which they couldn't do much about. If the USOC sees an offer they don't want to refuse to put a city forward for the 2026 Olympics, I wouldn't count on LA getting any compensation for that. How exactly would that work for them, anyway?