Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

12 hours ago, intoronto said:

I just threw out the three biggest cities in Canada... there is no indication either of those 3 are interested. 

Just an fyi:

Out of the new builds for Pan Am:

BMX - can be used

Aquatics - can be used for diving/synchro/water polo 

Field hockey - legacy venue, temp. seating needed

Athletics - Cannot be used; possible training venue

Markham - cannot be used (outside city anyways); possible training venue 

shooting / velodrome - both are new builds, and with Tokyo getting approval for a velodrome 2 hours away, a shooting venue and a velodrome 1 hour away doesn't look bad

Hamilton - Can be used as a soccer venue.

Yes, you have legacy Pan Am venues, but can the waterfront still be developed? Or is it too late? Or will the airport close just so you have more space to build stuff? Or will there be attempts at land reclamation?

17 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i think toronto is a scary-good, very serious competitor to LA 2028 should they go that route and under no circumstances should they be dismissed. miscalculations and hubris like that are what lose bids.

Agreed - if Toronto were to decide to bid for 2028, they'd be a serious threat to a two-time repeat host like L.A. And ohhh, what fun that would be to read the boards then! To watch Truff & his 'groupies' get it on with some of the brawling Toronto supporters on these boards would be classic!! The only thing that would make it even better is thrown in Madrid & then it would be EPIC!!! :lol:

On 8/23/2016 at 5:31 AM, FYI said:

Agreed - if Toronto were to decide to bid for 2028, they'd be a serious threat to a two-time repeat host like L.A. And ohhh, what fun that would be to read the boards then! To watch Truff & his 'groupies' get it on with some of the brawling Toronto supporters on these boards would be classic!! The only thing that would make it even better is thrown in Madrid & then it would be EPIC!!! :lol:

Throw in a hopeless Istanbul too.

• 4 weeks later...

Naheed Nenshi ‘bit of a skeptic’ about Calgary’s 2026 Olympic bid
By Melissa Gilligan
September 19, 2016 10:14 am Updated: September 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Former Calgary police chief Rick Hanson will chair a new committee set to explore the possibility of a 2026 Olympic bid. He said Monday he’s committed to finding “good quality information” to make a decision that will benefit Calgarians.

“The preliminary surveys said 60 per cent of the people were very supportive and excited about it,” Hanson said. “But that means there’s 40 per cent less excited and I think a lot of that has got to do with: can we do it? What are the costs of doing it? What are the challenges? And best of all, what are the outcomes of this that are going to benefit the people of Calgary?”

Members of the 2026 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games Calgary Bid Exploration Committee were unveiled by Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi at a noon news conference on Monday.

The committee of volunteers will be responsible for analyzing the capital and operating costs for hosting the games, the level of investment required from the three orders of government, and determining how to maximize use of existing facilities. Once the committee presents its findings to city council, council will make a decision as to whether or not to proceed with a bid.

“We want see if a uniquely-Calgary Games is possible: a model that is focused on building community and supporting athletes while also being very cost effective.”
“At the end of the day, I don’t think there’s anybody who thinks the world is becoming a safer place, and we have to have a really hard look at what security looks like and what it’s going to cost,” Hanson said.

Should city council decide not to proceed with the bid, the City of Calgary said the findings will provide a “comprehensive understanding of current city infrastructure and needs.”

Nenshi said part of what he learned by attending this year’s Rio Olympics is that in the current climate, building “a ton of infrastructure” can count against cities, whereas in the past “shiny new infrastructure” would have been considered favourable.

“As I say over and over again, [a bid] has to be based on evidence and I remain–though an Olympic fan–a bit of a skeptic on whether this thing really works,” Nenshi said. "The numbers have to be bulletproof."

The committee will provide an interim report to city council and Calgarians in January 2017 and a final report by July 2017.

More information about the Calgary Bid Exploration Committee can be found at Calgary.ca/Calgary2026.

Global News

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎27 at 9:26 PM, intoronto said:

Just a bit of news regarding Toronto: there will be no decision until after a decision is made on the Expo (which will be given the go ahead, because the backers of the study are also supports of the bid, lol). Hopefully they lose to Paris!

We're getting near an answer...

Toronto, Canada

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/14/19-billion-price-tag-for-expo-2025

$1.9 billion price tag for Expo 2025, but boosters argue event would bring in almost $3 billion

expo-rendering.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086

16 hours ago, intoronto said:

2 billion for an expo in 2025, when Expo 2015 cost $18 billion.... lol. 

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/may/12/expo-2015-what-does-milan-gain-by-hosting-this-bloated-global-extravaganza

Expo 2015 has been one of the most controversial world’s fairs ever staged in Europe. It has been plagued by escalating budgets, seeing total expenditure balloon to around €13bn, including the costs of building new transport infrastructure to service the site, 10 miles from the centre of town. It has suffered interminable construction delays, meaning €1m has had to be spent on building camouflage structures to hide the unfinished pavilions for the opening. And, while being touted as a model of a cleaner, post-Berlusconi Italy, it has been damned by charges of corruption and bribery, seeing seven senior managers and former members of parliament arrested last year, and more indicted for bid rigging a few months later. So what does the city have to show for its seven-year struggle?

Milan completely mismanage that expo, that price tag was insane. The $2B number doesn't even include the Portlands revitalization which will be above $1B. I'd rather save the Portlands for an Olympic site than waste it on the Expo.

I get why Toronto might be interested if they can indeed control the cost (which I doubt) but they should focus instead on Toronto 2028 if LA lose to Paris.

• 3 months later...

This seems like a very easy "Yes" to me, but I haven't lived in Canada for a decade and I don't know what the state of provincial politics is. Perhaps the eastern provinces will not want to support another Olympics in the west so soon.

PRO

• Canada is fantastically good at the winter sports, merely OK at the summer games, and pretty awful at football/soccer. Canada will probably "win" at Calgary 2026, while the national team would probably not win a single game at a Canadian World Cup.
  • There is a very good chance of a Calgary bid winning. There are fewer competitors than there are for the summer games and World Cup, and Canada has the advantage of pulling in both the Francophone and Anglosphere blocs. (Though many Anglo Canadians can't actually speak much French.)
  • Calgary already has the required sporting venues and would only need to modernize them a bit.

CON

• Canada has already hosted the winter games multiple times, and Calgary itself has hosted before, so hipsters and contrarians may find a Canadian winter Olympic games boring.
  • Even with most of the venues in place, Calgary would still have to stump up a bit of money for refurbishments and perhaps a new village.

If Canada wants to host a major event, this is the one it should push for. Quebec could host the IAAF Championships as compensation for the west getting the games again before the east.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 0:07 AM, Nacre said:

Perhaps the eastern provinces will not want to support another Olympics in the west so soon.

I'd be shocked if Alberta went along with this. Oil price dropping hit them really hard.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 0:07 AM, Nacre said:

Quebec could host the IAAF Championships as compensation for the west getting the games again before the east.

Quebec will never host. They can hate Montreal all they want, the lack of mountain will always bury any bids.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, Ansem said:

I'd be shocked if Alberta went along with this. Oil price dropping hit them really hard.

Yup. Things are pretty bad here. Downtown is like a ghost town. My job situation is iffy. I bailed on the oil&gas industry before it tanked. Been a seasonal worker for the last couple of years. Now back in school taking a fast track program.

If this generates jobs, I say go for it. All our 88 facilities are still being used in their original format and the reason being is Calgary is pretty much the designated winter sport training city of Canada. And this is also good incentive to upgrade and improve the facilities.  The bobsled track is slated to get some rehab work done regardless if we get the winter games. But there's also other infrastructure like the much needed C-Train line out to the airport. One thing that's currently being worked on is a big new overpass/interchange on the Trans Canada Hwy into Olympic Park. This is something that should've been in place back in '88. We'll see what happens. And like I said, if it generates jobs, do it. I'm keeping a close eye on the bid exploration committee happenings for potential work/job postings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 6:14 PM, SkiFreak said:

The bid exploration committee's website went live last night. Here it is:

https://www.shouldcalgarybid.com/

The bid exploration committee is running a survey. Link at the bottom of the page:

https://www.shouldcalgarybid.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only downside of Calgary hosting the 2026 Games is that Nenshi won't be the mayor. Hopefully by then he is the Prime Minister.

As for the East/West divide. Around the time of Atlanta/Sydney it was fairly even in Canada between the winter and summer. With Vancouver and Sochi, there is a massive slant to the winter now. I think that if you did a cross-country survey. Support for Calgary 2026 would be much higher then Toronto 2028. Also from a political standpoint. The Trudeau Liberals have a lot to gain from supporting a Calgary bid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Calgary's city government is pushing and recommending for the Calgary Flames' new home to be at a 7.2-acre parking lot location directly southward to the Olympic Saddledome as a Plan B that will soon be called the Victoria Park Project that can be used for Olympic ice hockey should Calgary gets it (highly doubt it):

Calgary Pursues Plan B for New Arena

But the Flames still, as far as we know, prefer CalgaryNext with the arena and stadium connected to get it. Project there isn't dead yet:

CalgaryNext Isn't Dead Despite Moving Victoria Park/Arena Plan B Ahead

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1049896/calgary-would-need-two-full-sized-arenas-to-host-2026-winter-olympics-committee-says

Calgary needs two full-sized arenas. No surprise there as that's more or less a requirement to host a WOGs these days. The question then is it either the Victoria Park plan or the CalgaryNEXT plan for the new arena. I would assume the Saddledome would be kept around until after the Olympics and then torn down. Can't see Calgary needing two arenas that size.