Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

Calgary would have a very good chance for 2026, not unless the Swiss get really serious with a viable bid. And it doesn't lessen LA's 2028 chances any since there are so few cities bidding now, anyway.

We got a very decent chance of getting the games again, very decent. It's hitting all the local media and city council voted 12-2 in favor yesterday. A number of the local former Olympians are in support.

As far as the facilities go. Some are in great condition, like the oval. But some are at a point that need renos and this is the catalyst that could kick that off. The bobsled track is slated to get a $10 million refurbishment over two years - this is not tied into the Olympic bid. The Flames/Stampeders ownership recently pitched that they'd like a new arena and stadium to replace the Saddledome and McMahon stadium. Their initial plan was to build a combined building in the West Village recently but it was rejected and it looks like they're going to a plan B - looks like this will be a new arena to be built at the Stampede grounds next to the Saddledome. As for the ski jumps, the way they're built, mainly with regards to the 90 meter, the only guy that the 90 meter is currently suited for is Eddie the Eagle. The rest of the athletes would probably fly right over the jump bowl. Best bet with the jumps is to build new ones in the same style that Whistler did, and build them out in Canmore at the Olympic Nordic park, so that the nordic sports could be together (out here near the downtown crosswinds are also an issue). As for Nakiska, I've been skiing there for the last two winters. Snow conditions haven't been that great, but they got a pretty good snow making system now. The old '88 downhill runs were deactivated, but it wouldn't take much to reactivate them again. The other option is to have downhill out at Lake Louise. One other sport that wasn't in the Olympics that a new facility would have to be built for, is curling. Also there are all the X-games sports like slopestyle, etc.The currently closed Fortress Mountain ski area (where they filmed Inception and The Revenant) is slated to be re-opened in the next couple years. Perhaps some events could be there. Fortress is just down the highway from Nakiska. Overall, we're ready for another Olympic round. Just send us the Jamaican bobsled team and another British ski jumper. :D A bid is really getting a lot of attention here this week. Are they taking applications for the torch relay yet? Sign me up! :P

What about Banff instead of Nakiska? Seems like Banff has been very popular as of late and might have more snow than Nakiska.

There's one problem with Sunshine Village (Banff), Norquay (Banff), and Lake Louise - all three ski hills are within the National Park boundary. Not sure what Parks Canada would do.

1) Canada is pretty bad at soccer/football. The Canadian mens national team is currently ranked #93 in the world. How important is it to Canadians to see their men lose to teams like Nigeria and Saudi Arabia? Is it as important as seeing their boys win gold in hockey?

2) The plans Canadian soccer fans proposed may meet the minimum to host using temporary seating, but FIFA is not going to award the games to a big that merely meets the minimum. To beat out the USA, Turkey, etc Canada will have to spend a LOT of money building new stadiums. Perhaps $4-6 billion CDN.

The winter Olympics is a better fit for Canada's sporting strengths and existing venues. Not only that, but a Calgary bid for the winter games is likely to win, while a World Cup bid is a long shot at best.

Canada wants to host the World Cup???

tumblr_lfelvjmaOa1qgy0jmo1_500.gif

That's quite possibly the stupidest decision Canada could make, right next to thinking that Quebec is a doable Winter Olympic host.

Even if they decided to build new stadiums with higher seating capacity just for these games instead of going to the temporary seating route, it would be an extremely huge waste since their current stadiums almost, if ever, seat at capacity for something like the CFL.

And don't come running to the US for a joint bid. We don't need you nor do we want you to help us host. We're doing pretty damn spectacular in stadiums thank you very much!

I think Mexico also wants to put in a bid to host the World Cup and despite their crime issue, I'd rather give it to them than Canada. They at least have some use for the stadiums since soccer/football is extremely popular there. They already have about 7 stadiums that have well over he minimum capacity needed, especially an 80,000+ seat stadium. Canada doesn't even have that.

So yes no on the World Cup for Canada, yes on the Winter Olympic games.

• 1 month later...

I expect McMahon Stadium to be used as the ceremonies venue, even if this project were to go underway. You really want a pyrotechnics extravaganza with proper fireworks, not just token ones seen in Vancouver and what people saw on the video screens of the outside of the stadium.

After all, it would be right next to the Athletes' Village and still be in use as the University of Calgary's main stadium. So I'd expect a total upgrade/renovation of the venue to 60,000, as it was in 1988, using temporary individual seating this time. New video screens in the corners of the stadium too, an improved lighting and audio system and so forth.

The new stadium can be used for medal ceremonies, or if the Saddledome is demolished, it could be used for Ice Hockey/Figure Skating/Short Track

Edited by Lord David

vancouver really galvanized the country to improve its winter medal count. you might need a summer games to do the same there. wait for 2024 to go to paris and then fight the US for 2028. it's doubtful a better opportunity will present itself before a decade or two. a winter games would be almost too easy to come by at this point.

From my understanding, McMahon Stadium will be demolished if the CalgaryNext project goes through. A new 20,000 seat events center that would be the home of the Calgary Flames would be constructed where McMahon Stadium is currently. The Saddledome's days would be numbered as well though I suppose if Calgary were to win a bid for 2026 and CalgaryNext went through that the Saddledome would be kept standing until the conclusion of the Olympics when it would be demolished. That would give Calgary the two required 10,000 plus seat arenas for a WOGs.

If Calgary indeed does go forth with a bid, I wonder what that says about Toronto's ambitions for a Summer Olympics. A 2026 win would obviously push back any possibilities for Toronto even further, however, I wonder if there's more to it. If the COC does decide to give Calgary a go, could they also be indicating that they believe that a Summer Olympics is simply too big and too expensive to handle, even for Canada? I wouldn't rule it out. 2028 sets up perfectly for a North American bid. I had thought that after Vancouver that Canada's focus would be on finally landing a Summer Olympics for Toronto. 

1 hour ago, stryker said:

If Calgary indeed does go forth with a bid, I wonder what that says about Toronto's ambitions for a Summer Olympics. A 2026 win would obviously push back any possibilities for Toronto even further, however, I wonder if there's more to it. If the COC does decide to give Calgary a go, could they also be indicating that they believe that a Summer Olympics is simply too big and too expensive to handle, even for Canada? I wouldn't rule it out. 2028 sets up perfectly for a North American bid. I had thought that after Vancouver that Canada's focus would be on finally landing a Summer Olympics for Toronto. 

Or maybe it means COC believes the IOC when they say Winter and Summer bids are picked independently. Heck, for all we know, when IOC insiders talk among themselves they are telling Canada that doing everyone a favor and hosting a WOG will help their chances of getting the summer games in Toronto. 

23 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Or maybe it means COC believes the IOC when they say Winter and Summer bids are picked independently. Heck, for all we know, when IOC insiders talk among themselves they are telling Canada that doing everyone a favor and hosting a WOG will help their chances of getting the summer games in Toronto. 

Perhaps so. Frankly I think the IOC right now is encouraging the COC to put forth Calgary or any WOG bid based on the fear that no European cities will put forth a bid for 2026 leaving Almaty as the only candidate. I forgot the link but I read where the Calgary Next project is suddenly up in the air over costs. Apparently costs were originally budgeted at somewhere are 890 million and the costs have ballooned which makes me wonder, if the citizens are Calgary are questioning the costs and viability of the Calgary Next project, how would they react to the costs of hosting a second WOG, even with much of the existing infrastructure from 1988 still in place?

Another interesting article from CBC with some video clips:

CBC: Scared off by Sochi: Why the Olympic money problem could be an opportunity for Calgary

Other cities interested in hosting again include:

• Sapporo (the next 3 Olympics are in Asia, so I don't see this one happening)
  • Innsbruck (not sure what's left of the venues from '76 but will probably require more money than Calgary to rebuild/renovate/rehab))
  • Salt Lake City (good facilities... but too soon? And in the US: security issues?)

This Calgarian is watching the 2026 coverage with great interest. B)

On 8/15/2016 at 11:41 AM, stryker said:

There is no ambition. When the deadline comes near the city will decide to bid or not to bid. Also the COC will support any bid regardless of whether its summer or winter. They were ready to support a 2024 bid unconditionally, so I doubt they believe the summer games are too big.

2 hours ago, SkiFreak said:

Another interesting article from CBC with some video clips:

CBC: Scared off by Sochi: Why the Olympic money problem could be an opportunity for Calgary

Other cities interested in hosting again include:

• Sapporo (the next 3 Olympics are in Asia, so I don't see this one happening)
  • Innsbruck (not sure what's left of the venues from '76 but will probably require more money than Calgary to rebuild/renovate/rehab))
  • Salt Lake City (good facilities... but too soon? And in the US: security issues?)

This Calgarian is watching the 2026 coverage with great interest. B)

Innsbruck hosted the YOG in 2012, and is each year part of the World Cup calendar in many winter sports. Are they really interested though? 

From the closing COC presser: The COC has not received any letters of interest for a summer bid, and they will not convince a city to bid (rather they want them to come to them). I thought this was closed, but it was implied that its still open. The summer caucus of sport has raised the point it makes sense to bid for the summer games first and Tricia seems to agree with this. 

On 8/19/2016 at 10:47 PM, intoronto said:

There is no ambition. When the deadline comes near the city will decide to bid or not to bid. Also the COC will support any bid regardless of whether its summer or winter. They were ready to support a 2024 bid unconditionally, so I doubt they believe the summer games are too big.

Uh, false? Haven't they rejected a quebec bid of any form, joint or solo? 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Edit: So if Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver step up and say they want a summer games, I believe Calgary will not be put forward. 

That would be a damn shame if Calgary drops out for a guaranteed loss of a summer Olympics Canadian bid.

Vancouver has too much to build for a summer Olympics I don't believe locals would approve of an Olympic referendum there.

Toronto just spent over $2 billion on a pan american games with facilities that don't have the capacity for an Olympic games. Plus the city is growing far too fast for an Olympic bid to keep up.

And I haven't even heard of Montreal showing any interest in hosting again. And would you want to use the same stadium you used for the 1972 games? The same stadium you still owe money on? The same stadium that by today's standards is severely outdated for an Olympic games?

Just stick to what you know Canada, and that's the winter games. But if a city like Toronto wants to be a serious contender for an Olympic games, then start building now so you look more enticing rather than wait until you win an Olympic bid that may never happen. 

5 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Uh, false? Haven't they rejected a quebec bid of any form, joint or solo? 

That would be a damn shame if Calgary drops out for a guaranteed loss of a summer Olympics Canadian bid.

Vancouver has too much to build for a summer Olympics I don't believe locals would approve of an Olympic referendum there.

Toronto just spent over $2 billion on a pan american games with facilities that don't have the capacity for an Olympic games. Plus the city is growing far too fast for an Olympic bid to keep up.

And I haven't even heard of Montreal showing any interest in hosting again. And would you want to use the same stadium you used for the 1972 games? The same stadium you still owe money on? The same stadium that by today's standards is severely outdated for an Olympic games?

Just stick to what you know Canada, and that's the winter games. But if a city like Toronto wants to be a serious contender for an Olympic games, then start building now so you look more enticing rather than wait until you win an Olympic bid that may never happen. 

I just threw out the three biggest cities in Canada... there is no indication either of those 3 are interested. 

Just an fyi:

Out of the new builds for Pan Am:

BMX - can be used

Aquatics - can be used for diving/synchro/water polo 

Field hockey - legacy venue, temp. seating needed

Athletics - Cannot be used; possible training venue

Markham - cannot be used (outside city anyways); possible training venue 

shooting / velodrome - both are new builds, and with Tokyo getting approval for a velodrome 2 hours away, a shooting venue and a velodrome 1 hour away doesn't look bad

Hamilton - Can be used as a soccer venue.