Calgary 2026

SkiFreak

It would be a nice change away from Asia (which is all but guaranteed for 2026 anyway). I don't think Vancouver is close enough to really cause any trouble. If you look at recent hosts, the IOC probably doesn't mind Winter in North America

2002- North America

2006- Europe

2010- North America

2014- Europe??? Culture wise Sochi isn't stereotypically Asian

2018- Asia

2022- Asia

2026- Could be anywhere. Don't count on Sapporo 2026 unless everyone drops out ^_^

When I say close enough I mean time wise, not geography.

But either way Calgary maybe should consider going for it in case the US doesn't put in a bid for 2026, and there is a lack of bids from Europe. Against Sapporo and Almaty, Calgary has to be the heavy favorite going in.

I have to assume that if there are any viable bids from Europe for 2026, the IOC would prefer to return the Winter Games to Europe. Absent European interest, though, this could be a golden opportunity for Canada to snag another Games.

I say Calgary should just put in a bid, and do the bare minimum for it and wait and see if bids start dropping like flies again.

The COC said last week that their focus is 100% on Toronto. That being said, Marcel Aubut has a history of being a selfish, manipulative individual (see: Quebec Nordiques). Wouldn't surprise me if he'd rather see a Games under his presidency at any cost.

I would love to see an Summer Olympics, but realistically we are into the 40's right now. Europe is going to host 2024, leaving 2026 as either a European double or a return to North America after 16 years. I think on the whole Canadians would get behind a Calgary Winter Olympics a lot more then a Toronto Summer Olympics and in all honestly, the COC's shortsightedness for 2022 cost Calgary the Games. Because no matter which way you slice it Calgary vs. Beijing vs. Almaty is coming up Calgary.

Might we see what happened in 2006, 2010 and 2014 where the winning country lost its bid for the preceding Summer Olympics?

And which 2024 bid country would that be? Certainly only the US or France? But why should the US go for 2026 if they have a huge chance to get 2028? And why France? They already got the consolation prize in 92, doubt they would want it again.

Munich will not bid again anytime soon. Noone here dares thinking about it after the 2022 disaster, and DOSB is aiming for Summer Games anyway.

Well not only that, the people of Garmisch are dead set against another Olympics. They have no issues hosting individual alpine skiing events, but not those that come along with a WOGs. They don't want their land to be used for such a monstrosity. That was the biggest nail on the coffin for the 2018 bid, and it will be for any future Munich WOG bid.

And which 2024 bid country would that be? Certainly only the US or France? But why should the US go for 2026 if they have a huge chance to get 2028? And why France? They already got the consolation prize in 92, doubt they would want it again.

I can't see any of the 2024 European bidding countries go for 2026 if they lost 2024. Certainly not France. They'd be over it with a fourth loss after giving it their all again. I don't see Germany & I don't see Italy either. Nor do I see any of the intial 2022 Euro bids coming back so soon either. Certainly not Norway, Sweden or even Switzerland. 2026 could just be North America's if they want it.

*not to mention France already tried for another "consolation prize" for 2018 & lost that embrassingly.

i could see italy giving it a go if they lost to paris. why not? they'd have to wait for africa and america to go again before they could win. by that point no one will even care who hosted 2026, they'll be so busy looking for someone who isn't a tyrannical asian dictatorship to host the olympics.

italy could host 2 olympics and the fallout could destroy the european economy. looks like a win-win.

I think we are due for a double 2024/2026 Europe (see 2004/2006). Whoever loses in 2024 goes for 2026 (hello Munich?).

At this point, I think it's much more likely that we will see back-to-back North American Games in the 20s (whether it's 24-26, 26-28, or 28-30) than back-to-back European Games. I see absolutely no evidence that any viable European candidate is going to be more interested in 2026 than they were in 2022. Of the 2022 dropouts, the only one I could see potentially going after 2026 is Stockholm. A Canadian (or American) bid for 2026 could end up winning by default. If the only other bidder is Almaty, I have to think the IOC would be begging the COC and/or USOC to enter the race. Hell, if LA gets the 2024 Games, the USOC might as well throw Salt Lake into the ring for 2026. It could be an incredible opportunity for back-to-back Games in the U.S.

I have to think that the IOC will be looking at serious reforms to the Winter Games if there are no European bidders for 2026. The Winter Games cannot survive long term without being staged in Europe every 8-12 years.

The Winter Olympics don't have as big of a problem with the Games themselves. I certainly think that the rate of growth will be diminished post-Pyeongchang. I also think that the narrative around the OWG will change significantly after Pyeongchang with the over-extravegance of Sochi further in the rear-view mirror.

I think eventually one of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Norway or Sweden will get things together and put forward a bid. Austria only stopped bidding because they felt like they weren't being treated fairly.

• 3 weeks later...

At this point, I think it's much more likely that we will see back-to-back North American Games in the 20s (whether it's 24-26, 26-28, or 28-30) than back-to-back European Games. I see absolutely no evidence that any viable European candidate is going to be more interested in 2026 than they were in 2022. Of the 2022 dropouts, the only one I could see potentially going after 2026 is Stockholm. A Canadian (or American) bid for 2026 could end up winning by default. If the only other bidder is Almaty, I have to think the IOC would be begging the COC and/or USOC to enter the race. Hell, if LA gets the 2024 Games, the USOC might as well throw Salt Lake into the ring for 2026. It could be an incredible opportunity for back-to-back Games in the U.S.

I have to think that the IOC will be looking at serious reforms to the Winter Games if there are no European bidders for 2026. The Winter Games cannot survive long term without being staged in Europe every 8-12 years.

I touched on the possibility of Almaty being the only bidder for 2026 and a nightmare scenario for the IOC in another thread. Right now which European country would throw their hat into the ring? Germany's not happening with the staunch opposition in Garmisch. Switzerland? Seems like a lot of dominoes have to fall in a row to get a Swiss bid even off the ground these days. Norway? After the fallout from Oslo and the IOC's reaction to Oslo dropping out, I'd say the Norwegians are done with the IOC for a while. Can't see a French or Italian bid either especially if Paris runs away with the 2024 vote as I expect them to do. So who's left? Stockholm perhaps. Helsinki (using Are in Sweden for the alpine events)

I don't think you'll see a North American bid either. Indications are both Canada and the U.S. are dead set on landing Summer Olympics and I believe you will see both Toronto and Los Angeles in the running for 2028.

If Beijing can host a Winter Olympics then so can Milan. It hosted a world's fair this year and seems to want major events. And unlike Rome, Milan has money. That said, the Italians won't bid for 2026 while the 2024 bid is progressing.

It's a shame that regional politics is going to take priority over national interest, because Canada can probably have 2026 if it wants it.

Edited by Nacre

• 8 months later...