Mayor Drops Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid Under IOC Pressure

GBModerator

Reporting from Toronto, Canada – Toronto is out of the running for the 2024 Olympic Games.  Tuesday morning Mayor John Tory, as was expected, announced that he would not pursue a bid to host the Games. “I’m not saying no to the Olympics, I’m saying not this time,” Tory said. “Toronto can be an Olympic city […]

View the full article

"Tuesday Tory said “recognizing that letter is not just some piece of paper, it’s an important letter indicating your intention to bid, and that the IOC takes that very seriously, and I confirmed that with them when I talked to them a number of times over the last few weeks – then the councilors will quite rightly ask ‘what are all the details of the bid?'”

I get that the IOC wants to avoid half-hearted bids and, above all, bid withdrawals. But, wasn't Agenda 2020 supposed to make it easier to bid without initially preparing a fully developed plan? There was supposed to be this collaborative process which results, over time, in a plan that works for both the IOC and the City. The IOC has to recognize that one possible outcome of such a process is a failure to conclude agreement on a mutually acceptable plan. At the same time, the suggestion that, once a bid is submitted, a City is expected to stay in the race to conclusion will only heighten the scrutiny of local officials before approving a bid in the first instance, afraid that, without at least having a settled initial plan on which to fall back, they may be bound by whatever IOC proposes later.

I guess some peeps in Quebec are celebrating, this could mean a Quebec 2026 Olympic Winter Games bid.

LMAO Oh Quebec, the WOG version of Doha! I'm sure Quebec can try, but will once again fail so long as they have to rely on the US to hold one of their events.

You've got issues...

Why? It's an accurate statement he made. Before the Pan Am games Toronto was dead set on not even going for the 2024 Olympics, and after those games they had a renewed interest. Then it's been a back and forth thing the last month that has increased the last week of the bid. It is pretty embarrassing for the leaders of Toronto to toy around like that for something like the Olympics. If this is the half-assed dedication they plan on bringing to an Olympic bid, then don't even bother bidding until a new generation of leaders in Toronto emerge to take the matter serious.

Umm...nope. We'll be bidding well into the 2030's before Quebec becomes an option again...the COC would never allow it before Toronto.

But they did, for 2002 and even considered it for 2010.

LMAO Oh Quebec, the WOG version of Doha! I'm sure Quebec can try, but will once again fail so long as they have to rely on the US to hold one of their events.

Actually they don't. If you think Men's Downhill is a problem, it shouldn't be anymore. Le Massif only lacks 30 meters in vertical. You simply top the piste and add another run. The problems with the train having to go through the mountain are no longer a problem since it's been done already.

Archived