Toronto Expected To Reject 2024 Olympic Bid Tuesday

GBModerator

After weeks of indecision, and mostly silence, time has finally run out Toronto’s Mayor John Tory and the city’s 2024 Olympic Games bid. GamesBids.com has independently confirmed a Toronto Star report that John Tory will reject the Toronto 2024 bid Wednesday at a 9:30am press conference scheduled at City Hall. A nomination letter putting forth a Toronto 2024 […]

View the full article

Maybe 2028? Anyway with the current competition, better wait.

Doubt it. Toronto is one of those cities that after trying to bid and failing to win (in this case failing to even bid) that they won't be looking for a consecutive bid. They'll come back years later to bid, only to more than likely lose again and repeat. And I don't see the public support ever being overenthusiastic on a bid from start to finish for Toronto. It would have diminished the deeper Toronto would have been in the running for this bid.

Doubt it. Toronto is one of those cities that after trying to bid and failing to win (in this case failing to even bid) that they won't be looking for a consecutive bid. They'll come back years later to bid, only to more than likely lose again and repeat. And I don't see the public support ever being overenthusiastic on a bid from start to finish for Toronto. It would have diminished the deeper Toronto would have been in the running for this bid.

Yup, with the stars aligning for a Europe, US, Africa combination we are looking into the 40's for a Toronto hosting now.

Maybe 2028? Anyway with the current competition, better wait.

One would expect that in his press conference tomorrow the mayor will hold open the prospect of a 2028 bid, citing both the strong 2024 field and the lack of time to fully consider a bid as reasons for not bidding for 2024. Unfortunately, Toronto's prospects for 2028 would have been stronger had they bid first for 2024.

Weren't you the guy who kept telling me that Paris was the overwhelming favourite for 2024? If so, a natural choice now that Toronto isn't even bidding.

And weren't you the guy who kept telling me that 'the race is not over until the last vote is counted', that this is still a contest to be won & so on? If going by that logic, then that still applies to ANY other potential 2024 bidder.

As for someone being so extremely partial towards Toronto, it may appear to you as a "natural choice" that Paris will be the winner now. Not that I'm disagreeing with that, however, that was always the very likely outcome anyway, even if Toronto had joined the field. Not to mention, other supporters of these boards who are in favor of Hamburg & L.A. still say that they can "surprise". Sounds familiar, doesn't it.

And as a matter of fact, even someone around here was claiming that once Los Angeles committed to a 2024 bid, that Toronto was going to pull out. Even one of the members of the exploratory committee was citing that Los Angeles would've been a problem for Toronto. Looks like the strong field (as someone else pointed above), was also a likely factor not to join the 2024 fray. TBH, 2028 looks much more promising once Europe & Asia are outta the way, & South Africa keeping their pledge that they won't be bidding until the 2032 race. But 2024 would've been a very, very uphill battle for sure.

Better for Toronto to pass than become the Stockholm of the 2024 race.

Yup, with the stars aligning for a Europe, US, Africa combination we are looking into the 40's for a Toronto hosting now.

Good, because I had Toronto pegged for 2044

Archived