South Africa Will Skip Next Two Olympic Bids; Will Be Poised For 2032

Now that Durban has won the bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games, South Africa Director General for Sport and Recreation Alec Moemi told Reuters that the country won’t be bidding for the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympic Games. Bids for the 2024 Games are due into the International Olympic Committee (IOC) September 15 and 2028 applications […]

View the full article

I guess they want to see the full aftermath of the Commonwealth Games before they go after an Olympics. And yes, the door is now wide open for a United States host no later than 2028.

<_< Sooner rather that later...

C'mon LA, pull some magic out of the hat!

I still expect 2028 bid for Durban. Never trust a politician. Many of them have said you do not win on your first bid. I think the logic behind this article is they think they can win 2032 with a good Commonwealth games behind them, but I still see a bid coming through in 2028 even if its just a trial run.

But yes, if it goes this way then I won't be surprised if it is Paris/LA/Durban for the next 3 games. Though I do want Hamburg for 2024

I guess they want to see the full aftermath of the Commonwealth Games before they go after an Olympics. And yes, the door is now wide open for a United States host no later than 2028.

This is exactly what I kind of said awhile back. They could run in 2028, but they won't have the the success of the 2022 Commonwealth games as evidence that they are fully capable of hosting an event the size of the Olympics. Yes the construction can go smoothly, and that would have helped them out, but it's nothing like the support Rio had in 2016 after having just hosted the Pan American Games. So if they do decide to bid in 2032, it's theirs to lose. I can't imagine a North American bid not winning 2024 or 2028 to give Durban some competition for 2032.

Looks like Toronto may bid for 2028 if 2024 falls through...

I don't know if this is very likely seeing as how they're not feeling up to going against LA for these games. If LA doesn't win 2024 and runs for 2028, or another good US bid runs for 2028, what makes you think that Toronto will be more confident in 4 years when after having just hosted the Pan American games they're starting to lose momentum because a top-tier US bid is being put into place?

I haven't heard of anyone over here who is remotely familiar with the bid process that believes LA has a better chance than Toronto. My understanding is Paris is the major challenge to winning a 2024 bid. 2028 seems more winnable if South Africa is out of the picture. Regardless, I still think we should bid for both.

This is exactly what I kind of said awhile back. They could run in 2028, but they won't have the the success of the 2022 Commonwealth games as evidence that they are fully capable of hosting an event the size of the Olympics. Yes the construction can go smoothly, and that would have helped them out, but it's nothing like the support Rio had in 2016 after having just hosted the Pan American Games. So if they do decide to bid in 2032, it's theirs to lose. I can't imagine a North American bid not winning 2024 or 2028 to give Durban some competition for 2032.

I don't know if this is very likely seeing as how they're not feeling up to going against LA for these games. If LA doesn't win 2024 and runs for 2028, or another good US bid runs for 2028, what makes you think that Toronto will be more confident in 4 years when after having just hosted the Pan American games they're starting to lose momentum because a top-tier US bid is being put into place?

And what this development means is that the USA has a better chance of winning World Cup 2026 since nothing would be simultaneous with that for 2026; and the next big event is SOGs 2028.

With the current FBI investigation into FIFA, I don't think this is an opportune moment to bid for a World Cup.

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

I haven't heard of anyone over here who is remotely familiar with the bid process that believes LA has a better chance than Toronto. My understanding is Paris is the major challenge to winning a 2024 bid. 2028 seems more winnable if South Africa is out of the picture. Regardless, I still think we should bid for both.

Politicians, the public, and city councils decide if a city runs or not in the end. Not Olympic bid observers.

It all points to the USA for 2028 now, but please not LA again! There have to be other cities! I hope New York or Chicago will show interest now that it will clearly be theirs to lose.

I don't think those 2 cities are particularly inclined to dance to the IOC's tune. And LA will probably bid as part of their price for being the last-minute sub for 2024.

So the South Africans are getting cold feet again. I get their reasoning, but how much does a Commonwealth Games really help South Africa in terms of a future Olympic bid. Sure some of the venues could be reused, but the seating capacities of many CWG venues are too small for an Olympics. And any future Olympic bid will need an entirely new Athletes Village.

South Africa has hosted the FIFA World Cup, the Rugby World Cup, the African Cup of Nations, the All-Africa Games, how much more experience do they really need? Jacques Rogge practically begged them to go for the 2020 Olympics. A CWG certainly doesn't hurt their ambitions but how much benefit does it actually give?

So the South Africans are getting cold feet again. I get their reasoning, but how much does a Commonwealth Games really help South Africa in terms of a future Olympic bid. Sure some of the venues could be reused, but the seating capacities of many CWG venues are too small for an Olympics. And any future Olympic bid will need an entirely new Athletes Village.

South Africa has hosted the FIFA World Cup, the Rugby World Cup, the African Cup of Nations, the All-Africa Games, how much more experience do they really need? Jacques Rogge practically begged them to go for the 2020 Olympics. A CWG certainly doesn't hurt their ambitions but how much benefit does it actually give?

It isn't South Africa that needs the experience, it's Durban itself. In all those events you mentioned, Durban has played a partial role and never held the lead on any of the events since they're nationwide events and not one concentrated in one city. The only All-Africa games South Africa hosted was in Johannesburg. I think they don't want to go for 2024 because it's too soon to host after the CWG and it won't give them enough time to prepare all the stadiums accordingly. And I think they don't want to go for 2028 because they will have yet to host the CWG by the time the vote comes. Although I think they should try for 2028 similar to what Rio did for 2012, and then go for 2032 to have a much better chance and be the heavy favorite going in.

It's their beat, it's their tune they are dancing to. I'm sure they're fully aware of the above. And since they will be paying for it -- NOT you, I think they know best what'll work for them. Give them that space and choice.

Besides, bidding for 2032 might mean Agenda 2030 -- so, if they follow my advice -- NO MORE athletes; so NO NEW Athletes' Village -- just TWO WEEKS of Ceremonies!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Let them do what they want. We usually want to view everything they're doing as building towards an Olympic bid. It's not like they're hosting the CWG for the sole purpose of their future Olympic ambitions. Ditto for the other events you mentioned, although as noted, most of those belonged to the country. This one is for Durban.