Hangzhou bids for 2022 Asian Games

Pui from HK

Hangzhou bids for 2022 Asian Games

Xinhua, August 17, 2015

Hangzhou, capital city of Zhejiang Province in southeast China, has submitted its bid for the 2022 Asian Games, according to the Chinese Olympic Committee on Monday.

The Olympic Council of Asia, sports governing body of the region, will decide the host city of the 2022 games in Ashkhabad, Turkmenistan at its 34th congress on September 16, 2015.

If Hangzhou wins, it will be the third time that the games is held in a Chinese city after Beijing in 1990 and Guangzhou in 2010.

Beijing was selected to host the 2022 winter Olympic Games last month.

The OCA will vote for the host of 2022 Asian Games NEXT MONTH, and seems that no one wanted to bid. Even yesterday the local media in Hangzhou still reported the news that the Hangzhou government denied that they have the plan to bid. Then all in sudden the national news today said the Chinese Olympic Committee has already submitted the bid from Hangzhou to the OCA

Seems that there were some discussion between COC and OCA to prevent from the embarrassment of no one bid for the 2022 or 2023 games.

Wait a minute... 2022 instead of 2023 why??? And why the bid race seems so quick and honestly I want the Chinese to use Macau for the bid because I think this will be a great way to force IOC to accept Macau to join the Olympics..

Wait a minute... 2022 instead of 2023 why??? And why the bid race seems so quick and honestly I want the Chinese to use Macau for the bid because I think this will be a great way to force IOC to accept Macau to join the Olympics..

Why are they hosting it in 2022 instead of 2023??? Well, the Asian Games has been happening every four years under even-number since 1954. In my opinion I think it's better this way, or to host them a year after the SOGs because hosting it the year before I feel deters top athletes in participating for fear that they might injure themselves during competition.

It seems like both the Pan American Games and Asian Games both established those games in 1951, and something changed with the Asian Games and they started to do their own thing. Everyone else though (All-African Games, Pacific Games, and now the European Games) has now followed hosting their events during the same year as the Pan American Games.

Originally the OCA has planned to switch the 2018 to 2019 and afterward, so it should be 2019 and 2023. However after Hanoi withdrawn the 2019 host, OCA got a problem in finding the new host and finally Jakarta took the host. But as Indonesia will have the presidental election in 2019, so the "trade-off" was that Jakarta will host it in 2018 instead of 2019.

The poiny is, according to the decision of OCA, even if Jakarta will host it in 2018, the next games should still be 2023. However now Hangzhou is bidding for 2022 instead of 2023. It's really a question whether OCA will still enforce the year change of the games.

Although if Hangzhou wins, these games would have very nice natural landmarks. The city is a more moderate skyscraperfest compared to Guanghzou and Beijing and has more green areas. Its lake is the most popular of China and is popular for its description by Marco Polo travels.

hangzhou-hangzhou-china+13013096108-tpfi

hangzhou_westlake2.jpg

hangzhou.jpg

teach-in-hangzhou.jpg

• Like 1

^^ Thailand has hosted them a lot already so i doubt they will anytime soon, specially with the current unstable situation they have (military dictatorship, bombings, the king's serious ill health...). Singapore and Malaysia could but their governments always seem not interested. And last time Kuala Lumpur bid was for 2006, when they lost against Doha.

Although if Hangzhou wins, these games would have very nice natural landmarks. The city is a more moderate skyscraperfest compared to Guanghzou and Beijing and has more green areas. Its lake is the most popular of China and is popular for its description by Marco Polo travels.

hangzhou-hangzhou-china+13013096108-tpfi

hangzhou_westlake2.jpg

hangzhou.jpg

teach-in-hangzhou.jpg

The first photo is Guilin in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. The rest are Hangzhou.

The Asian Games are waaaaaaaaaaaay too big- bigger that the Olympics. Sad they are so big that countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia etc probably could not hope to host them now.

Well considering that the Asian Games involves 2 of the most populated countries in the world that surpass 2.5 billion people (India and China), and an overall continent population of over 4 billion people it's not really surprising at all. And there are also very few politically and financially stable countries that could ever hope to host the games.

Also the last 3 Asian Games had a total of over 9,000 athletes each participating, that's only about a little over 1,000 athletes that participated in the last 3 Summer Olympics. I don't know how they're going to downscale those numbers from here on out the numbers just get bigger and bigger in all of these large-scale sporting events.

And Thailand has already hosted 4 times, other countries need to come forward and try and host regardless of what China and South Korea are capable of.

• 4 weeks later...

^^That's one beautiful Stadium. Shame that most Olympic Stadiums look terrible (My Opinion) Whereas Stadiums used in Smaller Events (Hangzhou 2022, Brazzaville 2015) Look better, Well, it's probably just my Opinion, but yeah, I hope it's not just Korea and China. I'd love to see other Nations like Iran, Malaysia, Phillipines & Thailand host. Thailand's chances may be slim due to the amount they've already hosted but still, I'd love to see em host again. The Opening for Bangkok 1998 is one of my Favourites...

^^That's one beautiful Stadium. Shame that most Olympic Stadiums look terrible (My Opinion) Whereas Stadiums used in Smaller Events (Hangzhou 2022, Brazzaville 2015) Look better, Well, it's probably just my Opinion, but yeah, I hope it's not just Korea and China. I'd love to see other Nations like Iran, Malaysia, Phillipines & Thailand host. Thailand's chances may be slim due to the amount they've already hosted but still, I'd love to see em host again. The Opening for Bangkok 1998 is one of my Favourites...

Just curious, which Olympic stadiums look terrible? I know there are some ugly ones out there, but I would like to know which ones you think are hideous.

Just curious, which Olympic stadiums look terrible? I know there are some ugly ones out there, but I would like to know which ones you think are hideous.

I'd say Turner Field and London's Olympic Stadium, I didn't like Tokyo's Scrapped 2020 Proposal either. I loved Athens' Olympic Stadium along with Sydney's...

I'm really surprised that they've backtracked and put the Asians back in the WC-CWG year.02 It just makes sense to move it forward to the original plan of the summer before the SOGs.02 I wonder who's in charge.

Blame the Indonesians for it because our government has a blind love to the Asiad... Trust me if there's other bidder than Indonesia in the post-Hanoi race I'm sure the OCA will pick them instead of our half-hearted bid