A 3 Year Old Explains Olympic Logos

barrack

I just across this video which I think is silly, but does present something to think about when it comes to design. I actually liked her reaction to the London emblem. She interpreted it as something exciting and vibrant, which is what I think London was trying to do.

Anyway, here's the video.

All too often public critiques of Olympic logos are 'My 3 year old could have done this logo" As brand & identity designer in the sport industry, I thought I would ask my 3 year old the meaning of the most iconic Olympic marks from 1984 to the Tokyo 2020 logo. The following is my daughter's thoughts and observations on branding.

Here's link if embed doesn't work:

From the mouths of babes ...

She got all the North American logos right (and actually gave more animus to that dumb Vancouver figure); and totally failed on all the others. Just goes to show how stupid and pretentious all the other ones were. I like her interpretation of Lillehammer (a piano!) and Torino's (...HOLES!)

And she's completely right. The IOC should watch this and bash their heads against the wall.

From the mouths of babes ...

She got all the North American logos right (and actually gave more animus to that dumb Vancouver figure); and totally failed on all the others. Just goes to show how stupid and pretentious all the other ones were. I like her interpretation of Lillehammer (a piano!) and Torino's (...HOLES!)

And she's completely right. The IOC should watch this and bash their heads against the wall.

She got Pyeong Chang right, too. Though it wasn't too exciting. "Snowflake and a house."

Archived