Lord David

Auckland 2024

Most of the minor indoor sports would be held in the existing 3,000-5,000 range arenas in the city.

You have:

North Shore Events Centre at 4,114

Trusts Arena at 4,901

Vodafone Events Centre at 3,000

Vector Arena at 9,000

A new exhibition building at the Auckland docks could serve many more indoor sports. Temporary arenas at the Olympic Park in North Shore would also help, particularly with the team sports of Basketball, Handball and Volleyball.

And officially, we can't take you anymore in a serious matter thanks with this comment. These buildings are ridiculous small. This reminds me your previous thought of Lake Placid as WOG and using the High School Auditorium as Media center for a modern Olympics.

Just like the Asian Winter Games helped Almaty to win the 2022 WOG... Oh wait. Call me when the World Master Games have the same impact in media and broadcasting like the Olympics.

I never said that Lake Placid High School would be used as the Media Center, just as the Main Press Center, provided it were expanded for the event. The International Broadcast Center for a Lake Placid Olympics would be a new temporary building.

And how are those venues ridiculously small? They have decent capacity and should be used for some minor indoor sports.

I'm just saying that an Auckland Olympics is not remotely impossible, it is possible. It's far more possible than a Winter Olympics in New Zealand.

I'm just saying that an Auckland Olympics is not remotely impossible, it is possible. It's far more possible than a Winter Olympics in New Zealand.

The thing is, you called the thread "Auckland 2024" and put it in the 2024 bids forum. Yet I'm sure even you'd agree that, well, NZ is not going to be a bidder for the 2024 games, nor would it likely win against the line-up that's emerging for that race anyway. So the answer to the implied question of the thread is a resounding and clear NO.

Now, if you'd started a "Could NZ host a SOG?" thread in the general future bids forum, that would be a bit more valid. It's an appealing idea. Hell, emotionally I'd like to see a NZ SOG before another Oz one. Though that's just day dreaming. At the end of the day I'd question the responsibility and sustainability of a country it's size going after the event.

You could put together a possible and viable physical venue plan, with a few wish list items, for just about any decently sized city in the world. You know, or should know, that it's factors beyond that - economic, political, social - that determine whether such plans are really achievable or responsible.

• Like 1

God...I leave for like a month and come back to this BS. Gamesbids, the forum that grows more immature with time.

Unfortunate there are only a handful of sensible people left (referring to the likes of FYI, Quaker, Latin, Rols, and others)