Lord David

Auckland 2024

Well you get the idea, perhaps an Olympic Park centered around North Harbour Stadium? Expanded to 70,000 for the event to be the main stadium?

What about a revamped waterfront/docks area which includes an Exhibition Centre? Something Auckland lacks? Maybe the Athlete's Village could be here to provide a centralized area for travel times? A Main Media Centre much like Melbourne's 1996 Skyscraper proposal?

Can this work? It seems that a Winter Olympics for New Zealand is a long shot and probably won't happen, so go for Summer glory. Forget the Youth Olympics, you want the real deal.

"Can this work?" The answer in short is a no. The Winter Olympics is a 'long shot' for NZ but you think the much bigger, usually more expensive Summer Olympics, are somehow more feasible for a small nation of merely 4.5 million in the South Pacific with an economy even smaller than Greece's (which for starters, would need a main stadium to be built)? Yeah, okay.

Well you get the idea, perhaps an Olympic Park centered around North Harbour Stadium? Expanded to 70,000 for the event to be the main stadium?

What about a revamped waterfront/docks area which includes an Exhibition Centre? Something Auckland lacks? Maybe the Athlete's Village could be here to provide a centralized area for travel times? A Main Media Centre much like Melbourne's 1996 Skyscraper proposal?

Can this work? It seems that a Winter Olympics for New Zealand is a long shot and probably won't happen, so go for Summer glory. Forget the Youth Olympics, you want the real deal.

I would suggest expanding the Mount Smart stadium in South Auckland. It has some infrastructure in place, as an 'athletics' footprint, have warm up track, is in an area that could be redeveloped like East London, and post games could be a home for an oft mentioned South Auckland Super Rugby franchise

That would be a stretch there given limited space, North Harbour is an ideal option because the vast area could serve as Olympic Park, village and even perhaps Main Media Centre, much like East London's case. What you're proposing is to do an East London type scenario in much smaller space then what the London team had to work with.

Massey University could be the beneficiary of some sporting venues including the aquatics centre and velodrome, perhaps even the village too.Or perhaps this could be the site of a new sports based university? Maybe NZ's equivalent to the Australian Institute of Sport? With accommodation shared between the 2 universities?

When I saw the topic title, I was wondering whether or not there was actual news here or if this was someone's pipe dream. Then Isaw who posted it and immediately had my answer.

It is a pipe dream for New Zealand to host a Summer Olympics, let alone for 2024. You want them to jump into the fray now? With Paris and a USbid out there? You honestly think New Zealand has a shot in hell of competing with those 2? Not a chance. No good reason for this discussion to continue. None whatsoever.

• Like 1

Ohh let's not be so hard on LD here. Perhaps he went to the Bach school of Olympic host thought, lmfao! Where he said a couple of months ago that New Zealand could host the Games "in the future". However, that's not really saying 2024. And even then, Kiwi's NOC head wasn't very thrilled with Bach's endorsement, saying it was still pretty much impractical no matter how much more "manageable" agenda 2020 were to make the Games. It would still be a massive undertaking for a country like New Zealand no matter how many ways you were to look at at. Needless to say, he wasn't as delusional as are delusional one here. :-P :-D

Auckland lacks an exhibition center because they have no need for one. As beautiful a country NZ is, Auckland is just not suitable to host a SOGs without the large possibility of leaving a lot of their venues unused after the games. I only see them ever being a favorite to win a summer bid if a similar scenario as the 2022 race happens. But that will never happen for a SOGs because there will always be cities far larger and better equipped to hosting the games than Auckland. They have a much better chance of hosting a WOGs provided the IOC is willing to host those games in the northern hemisphere summer months.

Let's consider this:

If Auckland competes alongside Baku, Tulsa, Tashkent, Nairobi and Abuja, maybe Auckland doesn't sound savy and even it will be flipping a coin. Otherwise, it's just a ridiculous idea. A country with half of Greece's GDP, in a city with issues in land, security and mass transportation for these type of events, without big stadium... Yeah, not happen in our lifetime, unless you have a time machine LD and returned to 1948 and dropping London Olympics for Auckland.

Maybe the 2011 Rugby World Cup can be a small mirror... For an event with only 20 countries and just hundred of athletes, it was a headache for New Zealand government. There were big logistic issues and the costs were elevated for New Zealander economy (Including some controversies for taxes), controversies related to stadiums and the cherry of the cake, the 2011 earthquake made big relocations in another areas adjusting timeschedules. For a smaller event, it was a full odissey for New Zealand to accomplished the Cup, why would anyone expect New Zealand can afford a 21st. century Summer Olympics? With 200% more athletes and many other countries, media, security menages and tourists.

Sorry to say that, but anyone who proposed that must be crazy or ignorant (Especially after Greece debacle).

Let's consider this:

If Auckland competes alongside Baku, Tulsa, Tashkent, Nairobi and Abuja, maybe Auckland doesn't sound savy and even it will be flipping a coin. Otherwise, it's just a ridiculous idea. A country with half of Greece's GDP, in a city with issues in land, security and mass transportation for these type of events, without big stadium... Yeah, not happen in our lifetime, unless you have a time machine LD and returned to 1948 and dropping London Olympics for Auckland.

If Africa has yet to host the Olympics in this scenario, I don't see Auckland winning against Nairobi or Abuja.

Also, why put Abuja over Lagos???

This aint going to happen. New Zealand would probably struggle to host a commonwealth games, let alone an olympic games. While I would love the olmypics to come to my country, it just aint going to happen.

Let's consider this:

Maybe the 2011 Rugby World Cup can be a small mirror... For an event with only 20 countries and just hundred of athletes, it was a headache for New Zealand government. There were big logistic issues and the costs were elevated for New Zealander economy (Including some controversies for taxes), controversies related to stadiums and the cherry of the cake, the 2011 earthquake made big relocations in another areas adjusting timeschedules. For a smaller event, it was a full odissey for New Zealand to accomplished the Cup, why would anyone expect New Zealand can afford a 21st. century Summer Olympics? With 200% more athletes and many other countries, media, security menages and tourists.

Sorry to say that, but anyone who proposed that must be crazy or ignorant (Especially after Greece debacle).

But Auckland and NZ will host a Summer Olympics as financially as reasonable as possible. It will cost taxpayers pretty much what it cost Sydney, the rest of say 2 billion would be coming from sponsorships, broadcast rights, ticketing, merchandisng etc. But Auckland does have potential for a big stadium, North Harbour Stadium is already there and reduces the costs of having to acquire land specifically for an Olympic Stadium. I think Auckland can host some day. Another Commonwealth Games would help, but I think that you can still host without it.

Nairobi? Against Auckland? Unless major renovations occur in their main stadium (the Chinese couldn't even figure out a way to put individual seating on the upper level), Auckland is a better chance than Nairobi.

If Africa has yet to host the Olympics in this scenario, I don't see Auckland winning against Nairobi or Abuja.

I can. Even if it's Africa, Kenya & Nigeria are unsuitable hosts in the near (or even far) foreseeable future. For all the criticism you give South Africa, I don't see how you can give any merit to two other African counties that have even more issues themselves to deal with.

Does it matter. It's still Nigeria we're talking about here.

Why so focused on one Olympic stadium... It sounds like you think its about one stadium. What about, Basket, gymnastic, swimming, Volley, track cycling, etc etc etc

Because it's the most expensive of them all and one of the hardest to re-purpose. You can easily re-purpose venues for basketball and gymnastics. You can set up temporary outdoor volleyball venues.

That's the point. Also Lagos is a full mess of city considering Abuja is a planified city and was Nigeria's bid of Commonwealth Games. Still it's Nigeria.

But Auckland and NZ will host a Summer Olympics as financially as reasonable as possible. It will cost taxpayers pretty much what it cost Sydney, the rest of say 2 billion would be coming from sponsorships, broadcast rights, ticketing, merchandisng etc. But Auckland does have potential for a big stadium, North Harbour Stadium is already there and reduces the costs of having to acquire land specifically for an Olympic Stadium. I think Auckland can host some day. Another Commonwealth Games would help, but I think that you can still host without it.

Nairobi? Against Auckland? Unless major renovations occur in their main stadium (the Chinese couldn't even figure out a way to put individual seating on the upper level), Auckland is a better chance than Nairobi.

But Auckland and NZ will host a Summer Olympics as financially as reasonable as possible

Maybe in 1948, but now it's impossible, unless the Olympic Games returned to the beggining or New Zealand's population growth at least four times the current number in the next decades. This is almost reaching delusion.

Sydney alone has more population than all New Zealand, and still Australia has an economy ten times bigger than New Zealand (Currently Australia is the 12th global economy while New Zealand is in 54th place -Below countries like Peru, Kazakhstan and Qatar). If the 2011 Rugby Cup was a full odissey to make it, there's no way for a SOG.

And still does it matter? Nairobi must likely won't compete in many races. The same with Auckland

Why all the references to 1948? That's way too early. Sure, Auckland hosted the 1950 Commonwealth Games, but I'd be more inclined to think that say the Centennial Games would have been NZ's and Auckland's best shot, on the high of team NZ's great performance in the 1984 Los Angeles Games, and hosting a successful 1990 Commonwealth Games.

Still, I do think they're capable of hosting and there are some legacy venues which would benefit the city post Olympics.

Why all the references to 1948? That's way too early. Sure, Auckland hosted the 1950 Commonwealth Games, but I'd be more inclined to think that say the Centennial Games would have been NZ's and Auckland's best shot, on the high of team NZ's great performance in the 1984 Los Angeles Games, and hosting a successful 1990 Commonwealth Games.

Still, I do think they're capable of hosting and there are some legacy venues which would benefit the city post Olympics.

Their best shot in 1996? Not if they were competing alongside Melbourne.

Perhaps, but Auckland would be reminding everyone else, as they did, that Melbourne already hosted before in 1956. They would be freshly reminding everyone about their successful Commonwealth Games which would have just been held earlier that year in January. The venues used in those Games would have probably been altered in their design to anticipate their potential Olympic bid.

Unfortunately, I can't see Auckland can host without a lot of temporary arenas. While cheap, they have almost no post game legacy and are still quite expensive ($70m in London).

Unfortunately, I can't see Auckland can host without a lot of temporary arenas. While cheap, they have almost no post game legacy and are still quite expensive ($70m in London).

Most of the minor indoor sports would be held in the existing 3,000-5,000 range arenas in the city.

You have:

North Shore Events Centre at 4,114

Trusts Arena at 4,901

Vodafone Events Centre at 3,000

Vector Arena at 9,000

A new exhibition building at the Auckland docks could serve many more indoor sports. Temporary arenas at the Olympic Park in North Shore would also help, particularly with the team sports of Basketball, Handball and Volleyball.

Auckland is hosting the 2017 World Masters Games an event with MORE participants than the Olympics. http://www.worldmastersgames2017.co.nz/ Maybe that would get people excited about an actual Olympics?

There is no way modern Summer Games can be held in a sustainable way in Auckland, no matter how many Masters or other Games there will be. Full stop/Period/Whatever.

I live in Auckland. I love the OGs. But having them here makes no sense--and there would not be much of an appetite for it.

Most of the minor indoor sports would be held in the existing 3,000-5,000 range arenas in the city.

You have:
North Shore Events Centre at 4,114
Trusts Arena at 4,901

Vodafone Events Centre at 3,000
Vector Arena at 9,000

A new exhibition building at the Auckland docks could serve many more indoor sports. Temporary arenas at the Olympic Park in North Shore would also help, particularly with the team sports of Basketball, Handball and Volleyball.

And officially, we can't take you anymore in a serious matter thanks with this comment. These buildings are ridiculous small. This reminds me your previous thought of Lake Placid as WOG and using the High School Auditorium as Media center for a modern Olympics.

Auckland is hosting the 2017 World Masters Games an event with MORE participants than the Olympics. http://www.worldmastersgames2017.co.nz/ Maybe that would get people excited about an actual Olympics?

Just like the Asian Winter Games helped Almaty to win the 2022 WOG... Oh wait. Call me when the World Master Games have the same impact in media and broadcasting like the Olympics.

You need about 10-11 indoor arenas (including convention centre) to host the Olympics, along with a velodrome, aquatic centre and an athletic stadium. All the other venues are pretty easy in cost.