Los Angeles Close To Being Named USOC Candidate To Host 2024 Olympic Games

GBModerator

Los Angeles is close to being named the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) nominee to bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday. Two weeks after a Boston bid and the USOC mutually parted ways after that city’s mayor Marty Walsh refused to commit tax dollars to guarantee the Games – Los […]

View the full article

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nooooo! Wait until 2028 when smaller cities come forward. 2024 is Paris's race to lose, not LA's to win.

Yeah, I would have only LA to blame for participating in this year or even in the 2028 (which will be Durban's) race. I mean everybody knows LA can do it at the drop of a hat -- but that doesn't mean they should jump every time!! I don't know what the USOC is promising them.

I imagine part of the deal here is that the USOC will commit to stay with LA at least through 2028, if not 2032. They might even be able to get USOC to commit to staying out of the 2026 race. LA has a lot of leverage. Bach made it clear that he's expecting a bid from the US. LA is the only option.

Just because Bach is expecting, that doesn't mean one has to comply. I mean screw Bach. Or is the USOC so totally w/o balls that they'll just jump at every ridiculous whimper of the IOC?

USOC does want to host a Games sooner rather than later. They'll want an American to replace Easton on the IOC fairly soon. USOC wants maximum influence with regard to the Olympic tv/media channel venture. Like it or not, making nice with Bach is very much in USOC's best interest right now. It wasn't just admiration that made Probst say that he's a "Thomas Bach fan." Besides, LA wants to bid and they're chance of winning isn't zero.

Of course we don't have to comply to Bach's wishes. But what about if some of the European heavyweights actually don't come through in the end, as unlikely as that may seem right now. But who would've thought at this time for the 2022 winter race that Europe was just going to pull the wool over the IOC's eyes.

Hindsight being 20/20, the USOC could've ran away with 2022 a couple of weeks ago if they had any inclination at the time that the race was going to get as abysmal as it got. Perhaps that's what might be guiding their decision here a little bit to still continue to bid, especially when they prefer a Summer Games at this time than a winter one. They're taking a gamble & hoping that it might pay off. That's how the USOC got the 1996 Olympics. They weren't expecting to win that one. Perhaps that's how they need to go at this again, as unscrupulous as this may sound to some. Not expecting to win, but hope that they could. Cuz when the USOC goes in with the expectations of winning, they lose (ie 2012 & 2016).

With all that said, if Europe remains strong for 2024, that's where those Games are going. And whatever race South Africa doesn't enter is the one that the U.S. has the best chances for, whether that's 2028 or 2032, remains to be seen. But it looks like the IOC is aware that one of those Games should come to the U.S. regardless.

Wait until 2028 when smaller cities come forward.

Smaller cities? Like who, Boston. Yeah, we all just saw how that one turned out. Smaller cities is not what the IOC is looking for in a Summer candidate anyway. Not to mention how much smaller cities would have to construct in order to hande a Summer Olympics & then would just wind up with a bunch of white elephants post-Games.

Bottom line, the Summer Olympics aren't for smaller cities. They're not feasible in the grand scheme of things & they're not gonna be very electable either, unless they're competing solely with ruthless dictatorships that the IOC surely has grown tired of dealing with.

, unless they're competing solely with ruthless dictatorships that the IOC surely has grown tired of dealing with.

Actually, or maybe NOT. The IOC just gets thing done faster with dictatorships. No need to deal with pesky PC- liberals who want everything on an even-handed basis. What's the point of being an aristocrat and a sports nabob if you can't have your way all the time??

Actually, or maybe NOT. The IOC just gets thing done faster with dictatorships. No need to deal with pesky PC- liberals who want everything on an even-handed basis. What's the point of being an aristocrat and a sports nabob if you can't have your way all the time??

Okay, so let me rephrase that. Unless 'smaller' U.S. cities (which is what a previous poster brought up) were competing against other smaller, authoritarian cities like Baku-koo & Doha-hah, then a smaller U.S. city looks very, very good in comparison. But against much larger authoritarian cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg or Shanghai, then smaller U.S. cities still wouldn't stand a chance in that one. Point is, smaller cities are pretty much SOL in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, rather than pushing the US to bid for 2024, Bach, were he thinking ahead, should be asking the US to ready a bid for 2026. The 2024 race will be strong enough. What he really needs to ensure is a viable western bid for 2026, so we don't get a battle between Almaty and Lviv. However, so long as the US has to stand behind the LA bid, they won't be able to engage in any public discussion about 2026, and they may end up short of time to do so.

Bottom line, the Summer Olympics aren't for smaller cities. They're not feasible in the grand scheme of things & they're not gonna be very electable either, unless they're competing solely with ruthless dictatorships that the IOC surely has grown tired of dealing with.

My point exactly. LA's a large city, it's highly electable, assuming that the economic guarantees go through and they adopt a model like they did in '84 (lots of sponsorship money like Tokyo is doing). My original post said that Los Angeles should think about these small cities, exploit their weaknesses, as you have done, and have a decent chance at winning instead of going up against Paris. Again, 2024 is Paris's race to lose.

it would be smarter to go up against durban next time. if they can't get their act together or some crisis puts doubt in the IOC's mind the backup could become the smart safe choice, and given that every single other continent will be out of the running LA's only competition would be toronto, which lol.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The USOC is doing the right thing now by bidding with the strongest choice. Better to be against the competition you know than to wait and go up against the competition you don't know. If Australia and Durban are there in 2028 and 32 the US has an even slimmer chance against them than they do against Paris.

Plus I am here on the ground on vacation in Paris and word on the street is that the Public isn't too convinced of Paris' hosting capabilities.

If LA is announced I agree with the article that they immediately will be considered a contender I would say pushing Rome out of the top 2. It's going to be a much closer battle than you think.

But it's all so stupid because LA is already the IOC's "secret, reserve" back-up city. So why even bother to bid again when it's not going to be a sure shot -- just so Bach the Elf's dance card is full? :rolleyes:

Baron your arguments seem very blinded on this topic. I usually enjoy your ability to put forward your thoughts but you seem to personally have a vendetta against this idea instead of looking at the race as a race. It's hard for me to see how anyone, even if you don't want LA to host the games to say they have no chance. LA and Paris are on the same footing internationally, Boston wasn't, LA is proven to work successfully, Paris still has a lot of venue issue to work on. LA has a sporting fan base unlike that of any city in the states, Paris... USA Olympics make money from tkt sales to sponsorship so yeah they may want it in Europe but they're not going to be so dismissive as you are.

Plus I am here on the ground on vacation in Paris and word on the street is that the Public isn't too convinced of Paris' hosting capabilities.

You're in a metropolis of 6.5 million, in one spot and you've gotten the pulse that the Parisian majority aren't too convinced of their city's chances??? :blink:

Did you have the Minions do this impromptu survey???

minions-trailer-111421.jpg

There's also people in L.A. that aren't convinced of the city's hosting capabilities either. That "the city can't even fix the potholes & they're thinking Olympics?!" There's always going to be naysayers in every city thinking about bidding for the Olympics, so it's a wash either way, really.

^There's also the smell of piss, and the lack of infrastructure aesthetics. Welcome to America! lol

Look at our NFL stadiums and you'll know that we absolutely do not take aesthetic appeal into account when they build them. You would think that with a ridiculous price tag these stadiums would actually be nice to look at.

and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor%E2%80%93council_government#Strong-mayor_form

In the strong-mayor form the elected mayor is given almost total administrative authority and a clear, wide range of political independence, with the power to appoint and dismiss department heads without council approval and little, or no public input. In this system, the strong-mayor prepares and administers the city budget, although that budget often must be approved by the council. Abuses in this form led to the development of the council–manager form of local government and its adoption widely throughout the United States.

Archived