Are France and Germany empty?

Because I've been hanging out in Vegas and the National Parks in this area and there are approximately one billion French and German tourists here. Can't imagine there is anyone left back home.

PS - I'm starting to believe in a Vegas Olympics if they are allowed to push things into September. This is a unique place that might be able yo get done what to other US city can do in today's political climate.

PS - I'm starting to believe in a Vegas Olympics if they are allowed to push things into September. This is a unique place that might be able yo get done what to other US city can do in today's political climate.

October or May would probably be preferable in medical terms- you're still talking highs around 35° celsius (95° fahrenheit) and averages around 27° in September.

October or May would probably be preferable in medical terms- you're still talking highs around 35° celsius (95° fahrenheit) and averages around 27° in September.

At least it's a dry heat.

As far as an excess of German and French tourists there right now, Europeans get WAY more vacation time than Americans so they're out and about more often around the world than Americans. Also, a lot of them like to vacation outside of their country during the summer months because their own countries get bombarded with tourists and the French especially are not fond of them. I had a friend who was just there and he hated it. Definitely did not find the locals pleasant and he found the city to be pretty dirty. He absolutely loved Berlin though. he was also in London and Belgium and loved both places.

Because I've been hanging out in Vegas and the National Parks in this area and there are approximately one billion French and German tourists here. Can't imagine there is anyone left back home.

Given their combined population is about 140 million, I suspect that's probably a slight over-estimate. It probably just feels like it! ;)

Edited by Mainad
  • Like 1

Given their combined population is about 140 million, I suspect that's probably a slight over-estimate. It probably just feels like it! ;)

the rest are all in brooklyn complaining how they hate america but have no intention of leaving.

You sure they're not French Canadians? Not convinced Vegas would appeal to your average French family. My experience is that the French tend to holiday in France...there were none to speak of in Mallorca where I've just been. The beaches were packed with Scandies, Germans, Brits, Irish and Dutch on the whole.... with a smattering of Italians. Just anecdotal though.

You sure they're not French Canadians? Not convinced Vegas would appeal to your average French family. My experience is that the French tend to holiday in France...there were none to speak of in Mallorca where I've just been. The beaches were packed with Scandies, Germans, Brits, Irish and Dutch on the whole.... with a smattering of Italians. Just anecdotal though.

Well, there was that couple from France who gave up their lives in the New Mexico desert so that their 9-year old boy could stay hydrated. This just happened a few days ago. But unless their vacationing habits are changing, the French for the most part prefer to holiday w/in la belle France...why they've even got their own Disneyland. Well, the Disneys were from Isigny-sur-Mer anyway.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Sadly, we know that French tourists have, or had until a few days ago, an interest in the desert landscapes of the southern USA.

Sadly, we know that French tourists have, or had until a few days ago, an interest in the desert landscapes of the southern USA.

There certainly have an interest in the Grand Canyon. There was a group of them when I visited it last year. Also saw a group of Asians, I think they were Japanese. And other European nationalities were there in groups as well.

Perhaps the French prefer to visit the resort town on mainland Spain? When I was at Lloret De Mar, a resort town an hour east of Barcelona, there were a lot of French and Germans there.

And where in Mallorca did you go??? Shagaluf? ;)

Definitely does seem like Brits and Germans are more adventurous with travel. And Australians. Can't go anywhere without Australians it seems.

This German is still at home, for a few more days at least. And I have no intention to go to Mallorca or Lloret de Mar or similar horrors.

I enjoyed Lloret De Mar! But it's mostly because I went for a music event and it was my first trip to Europe and first week in Spain and I loved it. Yes I can see what people don't like about it, but the water was beautiful. And Mallorca beaches I'm sure are far better, but yes I've heard of the drunkeness that goes on there and I don't mind. I wanted to go to Magaluf this past year for the same event that just moved locations, but it did not happen.

If there's one place in the Balearic Islands that is a must, it's more than likely Formentera. If I ever do manage to go to Magaluf next year, I'll go out of my way to spend a few days in Formentera the beaches look incredible

formentera.jpg

Yeah Magaluf is horrific - didn't go anywhere near there, but there's more to Mallorca than that - the Spanish royals tipped up while I was there for their hols. Mallorca is quite up-market in parts.

With the French I guess they have nearly everything they need in one country - a Med coast, mountains for skiing, castles, rivers and lakes - still I would want to try something different once in a while.

Yeah Magaluf is horrific - didn't go anywhere near there, but there's more to Mallorca than that - the Spanish royals tipped up while I was there for their hols. Mallorca is quite up-market in parts.

With the French I guess they have nearly everything they need in one country - a Med coast, mountains for skiing, castles, rivers and lakes - still I would want to try something different once in a while.

Yea you just described Spain and Italy, yet they like to travel. Just simply say the French are snobs and full of themselves to venture outside their own borders it's far easier lol

And yea I've researched Mallorca and the other islands in the Balearic, and I'm well aware there's far more to them than just drunken drugged up partying. I would like to spend about 2 weeks exploring the islands there, Formentera, Ibiza, Mallorca and Menorca.

As a Parisian, I can tell you that Paris is empty, there are probably more tourists than actual residents in the city at this time of the year.

Yea you just described Spain and Italy, yet they like to travel. Just simply say the French are snobs and full of themselves to venture outside their own borders it's far easier lol

Ripley is right, we do have everything we need in our own country, french landscapes are so diverse that many people don't feel the need to go abroad (it's also way more affordable), yet that doesn't need we're all snobs and full of ourselves. According to this survey,French people are more likely to go on vacation abroad (44 %) than Italians (38%) and Spaniards (34%): http://www.europ-assistance.com/sites/default/files/barometre_ipsos_-_europ_assistance_2015_-_synthese.pdf

As a Parisian, I can tell you that Paris is empty, there are probably more tourists than actual residents in the city at this time of the year.

Ripley is right, we do have everything we need in our own country, french landscapes are so diverse that many people don't feel the need to go abroad (it's also way more affordable), yet that doesn't need we're all snobs and full of ourselves. According to this survey,French people are more likely to go on vacation abroad (44 %) than Italians (38%) and Spaniards (34%): http://www.europ-assistance.com/sites/default/files/barometre_ipsos_-_europ_assistance_2015_-_synthese.pdf

Considering that Italy and Spain currently have far weaker economies compared to France, it's obvious that they don't travel abroad enough because they don't have the money to do so.

excuse you, facts have no place in this arbitrary thread of stereotypes and half-remembered anecdotal observations.

• Like 1

that was obviously all intentionally posted to highlight the ridiculousness of this "once i met a foreigner when i was on vacation and so i know everything about how they travel" thread. that obviously went far over your head, as usual.