Beijing’s 2022 Victory and Almaty’s Loss Due To Outdated IOC Rule

Reporting from Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre in Malaysia – The selection of Beijing to host the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, while historic, reveals a significant defect in the Olympic bid process that is itself a relic of the past.  Beijing’s margin of victory was slim, just four votes in the 44 to 40 win meaning […]

View the full article

• Like 2

Very interesting. So due to the IOC rules following the bid scandal, members unfortunately don't get to see the cities frequently. Which is both good and bad.

"Almaty 2022 Bid co-chair Andrey Kryukov recognized this risk, he said Thursday “one time to see is better than 20 times to hear.”" Very true. That ski jump in Almaty looks amazing!

skijump.jpg

And the article mentions how allowing visits by members to bid cities would have eliminated this significant advantage to Beijing. As someone who's traveled to Beijing, I can definitely agree with that. Very unfortunate that these rules which were put in place to limit dodgy IOC members have led to a country known for its dodginess hosting another Olympics.

Good editorial, Rob. I've always maintained that if the IOC can't trust its own members to be actual boots on the ground, then they're as flawed as FIFA picking Qatar for a World Cup tournament in the middle of summer.

How many misinformed voters does it take to screw a major sports tournament? 6 for FIFA and 4 for the IOC.

• Like 1

Nicely written indeed, and it made a lot of sense. I couldn't agree more. I find it quite surprising that the IOC has lately been chosing not quite snowy cities for the Winter Olympics (Sotchi, Beijing) while for those Games the competition had much better bids, at least proper snow cities (Salzburg, Almaty). It wouldn't surprise me if the next Winter Olympics are held in Dubai. Who cares about snow, they've got the money!

Reporting from Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre in Malaysia – The selection of Beijing to host the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, while historic, reveals a significant defect in the Olympic bid process that is itself a relic of the past. Beijingâs margin of victory was slim, just four votes in the 44 to 40 win meaning […]

View the full article

Exceptionally accurate article. Superbly well written.

Imagine if the ban on IOC members would have never been applied. Sochi may have never happened, Even Rio might have never happened considering the surrounding areas of the venue locations were complete dump. And also the water might have been visibly dirty as well.

Do they at least allow a videographer to capture the whole visit? I think if you're not going to allow IOC members to visit the city, at the very least you should provide video footage of the visit.

How many misinformed voters does it take to screw a major sports tournament? 6 for FIFA and 4 for the IOC.

Right, can you imagine 2022 with Qatar AND Kazahkstan? UGH!

If visits were reinstated, & Almaty had won, then the conspirosy theories woulda been flying all over again ala Salt Lake style. It's just another one of those "damn if you, damn if you don't" scenarios.

Right, can you imagine 2022 with Qatar AND Kazahkstan? UGH!

If visits were reinstated, & Almaty had won, then the conspirosy theories woulda been flying all over again ala Salt Lake style. It's just another one of those "damn if you, damn if you don't" scenarios.

Both Almaty and Beijing organizations would have been very capable of bribing IOC members.

Do they at least allow a videographer to capture the whole visit? I think if you're not going to allow IOC members to visit the city, at the very least you should provide video footage of the visit.

With today's technology (& it's only getting better), I can't imagine not being able to produce life-like footage about potential Olympic sites. I didn't bother to watch the final presentations, but from reading the live chat thread here, Almaty seems like they did a pretty good job to try & convince the members, particularly when it came to the snow factor. Which let's be honest, that's a pretty much black-&-white issue. Either you have it, or you don't.

However, OTHO, PyeongChang, a pretty much unknown compared to the mighty likes of Munich (& to a lesser extent Annecy), still managed to runaway with the 2018 race. So I'm not so sure that it's really an issue of the members not being able to visit these cities. I'm sure a lot of these members are quite educated nonetheless to make an informed decision.

How exactly does the ban work. Are the voters flat out banned from visiting the cities? Or are they just not allowed to go with the cities paying their way.

I assume that once they become an official candidate city, they're not allowed to travel to the city. But I don't know how the IOC will regulate where the voters can and cannot travel.

• 1 month later...

I assume that once they become an official candidate city, they're not allowed to travel to the city. But I don't know how the IOC will regulate where the voters can and cannot travel.

I don't see how that could be enforceable at all - members may have to travel for family reasons, business or if a city is bidding for the Olympics there is a chance it might be hosting major sporting events, while with the bigger international cities the IOC can't stop people from holidaying there. Chances are an IOC member might like to visit Paris, Rome or LA in the next couple of years.

Agree though with the point of the article though of course it would get trickier when it isn't a two-horse race. Perhaps the field needs to be trimmed down to just 2 or 3 candidates with a year to go and then an opportunity for members to visit them at the time, but kept short and sweet rather than a week of wining and dining.