Spun out from here: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/24125-usa-2024/page-133

I wanted to post a more fully developed version of my idea to divide the summer games into team and individual versions. In my opinion this is the reform needed to put the Olympics back on sound footing with democratic countries.

TEAM OLYMPICS

4026 athletes, 12 sports, held in October

Sports

• football [16 teams/gender] (football stadium 1)
  • rugby sevens [16 teams/gender] (football stadium 2)
  • field hockey [12 teams/gender] (football stadium 3)
  • baseball [12 mens teams] (baseball stadium)
  • softball [12 womens teams] (softball stadium)
  • cricket [12 mens teams] (cricket stadium)
  • basketball [12 teams/gender] (arena 1)
  • handball [12 teams/gender] (arena 2)
  • volleyball [12 teams/gender] (arena 3)
  • beach volleyball [24 teams/gender] (beach volleyball stands)
  • water polo [12 teams/gender] (water polo arena)
  • rowing [12 teams/gender] (lake)

The Summer Olympics would still have track and field, marathon/cross-country, gymnastics, cycling, swimming, diving, boxing, wrestling & the other combat sports, archery, shooting, equestrian, sailing, kayaking/canoeing, tennis, badminton, golf, table tennis, and weightlifting.

Venues (minimum capacity)

• ceremonies (50,000)
  • football 1 (40,000)
  • football 2 (20,000)
  • football 3 (15,000)
  • baseball (10,000)
  • softball (5,000)
  • cricket (15,000)
  • arena 1 (15,000)
  • arena 2 (10,000)
  • arena 3 (5,000)
  • water polo arena (5,000)
  • rowing stands (5,000)
  • beach volleyball stands (15,000)

The ceremonies stadium could be . . .

• unused for during the games (IE Olympiastadion)
  • also used as the cricket stadium (IE Melbourne Cricket Ground)
  • also used as the football stadium (IE Wembley Stadium)
  • also used as the baseball stadium (IE Yankee Stadium)

This means the host does not have to build a huge stadium that won't be useful after the games. Any major city should have some variety of large stadium available.

Advantages

• even though it would be a change for fans, the individual vs team event split is very "grokkable"
  • reduces number of athletes in summer games (by 3,270) so a smaller village would be needed
  • fewer hotel rooms required, putting the games within reach of smaller cities like Durban (or Vienna, Stockholm, Casablanca, Minneapolis, Auckland, etc)
  • significant reduction in number of venues for games, so less construction cost and fewer white elephant stadiums
  • reduces cost for each host, but INCREASES total revenue for the IOC since there's another event to sell rights to and merchandise at
  • reduces number of sports at summer games to manageable levels while also finally adding baseball and cricket
  • allows cities with unsuitable weather (IE too hot for summer games in Middle East and cross-climate issue in Australia & NZ) to host
  • choice between team sports vs individual sports lets countries fit their domestic sports to hosting (IE developing countries often have T&F stadiums while Western cities don't need one)
  • MLB could probably be convinced to let its athletes not in the playoffs participate in October IF pitchers were on restricted pitch counts (75 pitches?) and teams had extra pitchers
  • the NBA would probably let its players participate instead of pre-season in early October IF players were released three weeks before the start of the NBA season

Disadvantages

• fans and sponsors don't like change
  • the summer games would be worth a bit less to broadcasters due to the reduced number of sports (although the summer + spring games would be worth much more collectively)
  • less sports in the summer games = a smaller main event
  • a smaller orgy in the summer Olympic village

Examples

Vienna could host the individual games with only an aquatics center, velodrome, village and international broadcast center needing to be built. Durban would only need to build a little bit more.

Hamburg could host the team games with the following venues:

Hamburg would only have to build one permanent venue and install 45,000 total in temporary seating. In comparison London had over 100,000 temporary seats if you count them by the original plan to downsize the athletics stadium after the games from 80,000 to 25,000.

This is the only way to put the games back within sound financial reach of second and third tier cities while also keeping the media, sponsors, broadcasters, athletes, sporting federations and fans happy.

Edited by Nacre

I actually think you have some good points in your comment! But I don´t know if it should be team and not team Olympics. But as far as they are open up for 2 city host perhaps. But 2 cities close together is hard to find! What about making 2 Olympics as you say, but mix the sport more than your suggestion, and perhaps even not the same sports together every time. Lets take an example in 2028 2 cities go together, one city holds there part of the games 2 weeks in may/june, and the other city there 2 weeks in august. Or perhaps one city en august and one in october. All depends of the city and the sports etc. If the games was devided in to 2 cities, it could be 2 games of perhaps around 6000 athletes each. It could then open up for some new sports that deserves a place in the games, and more disciplines in those which already are there (for example archery there are only "Recurve" with, and not "Compound" (unsure on spelling) and here in Denmark we have just held World Championschip in archery with both disciplines. It is the same venue, it would it also be at an Olympic games. But because of the max of 10.500 athletes today it is hard to get more disciplines in to the games, but it would not cost more venue capacity! And I´m sure other sports have same issues. And sports like squash, billard, bowling etc could also deserves to ben in, and a split games could do that!

Lets take that Copenhagen and Budapest (for example) held the games in 2028. Copenhagen in the first 2 weeks of june, and Budapest the first 2 weeks of august. Then those 2 cities split the sport after what the countries normally have interest in. Denmark is good in swimming, handball, badminton, sailing, cycling, for example, and Hungary could be athletics, volleyball, Beach volley, tennis etc. Or how it could be split. And 4 years later it perhaps would make more sence to split the sports in a other way depending of the host cities.

I know it is a big change to the traditions, but it could be a way to bothe downsize the games, and in the same time make it bigger with more athletes competing. And to have the sports spread out on 4 weeks, instead of 2 weeks, also gives more sports more spread out. Sometimes today there are to many Things on the same time, and it would increase the market value, when the tv-Networks can transmit from more Things.

So it is a variant of your suggestion, because I think an Olympic games with only team sports, and one with only individuel. And then a country with no handball tradition still have to have handball (Like London) for example etc etc etc. Of course there will still be some few sports that none of those to cities have interest in, but there could be a chance for the other country rather would have it. And no one says it has to be in the same continent. It could be Amsterdam and Brisbane, for example. :)

What about the team events for track & field? Wouldn't they be included? Not the individual events, just events like the 4x100 and 4x400 relay.

And of course there are the team event relays in swimming, as well as the team events in diving. Oh let's not forget synchronized swimming. Oh and then you have the artistic gymnastics team event, the rhythmic gymnastics team event, and I think trampoline also has a team event. And I could go on. And this is why it doesn't work because a lot of the events already have a team event so why bother splitting them up?

Of course there are more sports that has BOTH individual and team. But if you have to misunderstand what he Means, then you can. Or you could read what he writes, he has also listed up the sports. No reason to think that relays should be in team Olympics in his suggestion. That is just stupid thoughts, and no intendance to understand the meaning of the suggestion.

I still think it would Loose some charm if is splitted up like this, and like more suggestion more :)

I actually think you have some good points in your comment! But I don´t know if it should be team and not team Olympics. But as far as they are open up for 2 city host perhaps. But 2 cities close together is hard to find!

I think that should also be considered, but the federations and athletes strongly oppose a two city solution. There are a number of transit related logistical issues arising from the use of two host cities. For example it was difficult for people at the Vancouver winter games to see events for both the snow (Whistler) and ice (Vancouver) sports in the same day.

What about the team events for track & field? Wouldn't they be included? Not the individual events, just events like the 4x100 and 4x400 relay.

The division would be team sports, not events.

And of course there are the team event relays in swimming, as well as the team events in diving. Oh let's not forget synchronized swimming. Oh and then you have the artistic gymnastics team event, the rhythmic gymnastics team event, and I think trampoline also has a team event. And I could go on. And this is why it doesn't work because a lot of the events already have a team event so why bother splitting them up?

It is worth bothering to split them up because it is the only way to achieve dramatic cost reductions for the host cities while at the same time keeping all of the stakeholders happy.

I think that should also be considered, but the federations and athletes strongly oppose a two city solution. There are a number of transit related logistical issues arising from the use of two host cities. For example it was difficult for people at the Vancouver winter games to see events for both the snow (Whistler) and ice (Vancouver) sports in the same day.

Yes if it is in the same time. Therefor i see it as a good opportunity to split it to 2 cities, with perhaps 6 weeks as minimum a part. Yes it will not be completely the same, but changes must happen. And this is for the Summer Olympics. As for Winter Im not quite sure what to do