Beijing people are simply NOT enthusiastic on the bid

Being a big fan of Beiing's bids of 2000 and 2008 Olympics, I have to say, most people in Beijing are simply NOT enthusiastic on the 2022 Olympic bid. The reasons are:

1. Most people consider Northeastern cities such as Harbin are much more qualified to host Winter Olympic, not Beijing.

2. Winter sport is not popular in Beijing. There is little winter sport tradition in Beijing. (again, unlike Harbin or Changchun, they have rich winter sport tradition)

3. Beijing is very dry. There is not much snow in Beijing.

4. People are not quite happy that politically "you are the capital then you can take these all". No. Even you are the capital you should not take all events. This is not good for regional balanace.

Anyway, basically people in Beijing are not enthusiastic on the bid. Of course if we get the host we will certainly work on it very well. But at least by now people still think there is nothing disappointing if we lost the bid. Just let Harbin bid for it next time.

Well do they know that the snow events will not take place in Beijing but in Zhangjiakou and Yanqing?

But a lot of us agree that Harbin is the better choice for the WOGs because they're in the region of China that has already hosted 2 Asian Winter Games so they have some of the facilities already available.

The nickname of Harbin is the "Ice City". if you say "Ice City" in China, everyone knows it means Harbin.

Zhangjiakou is quite an under-developed place. When they said they want to bid for the Olympic a few years ago, most people just considered it as a commerical promotion by their government, that if they did not say something very weird, then they cannot even capture the attention of the media to mention their name a few times on the national news boardcast.

Thank you for the interesting (And rather late in the day) perspective.

Now now be nice. At least it's still relevant to talk about it unlike some people who keep on bringing up old topics that should have died long ago. I wonder how many years people are gonna drag on every Boston 2024 topic.

... and what I just heard that the proposed Beijing 2022 winter olympic will be hosted during the Chinese New Year? No it is certainly not a good idea. Chinese New Year is the period that ALL people go back to their home town and stay with their family! For the whole 3-7 days nearly all shops on the street CLOSED!

The normal practice is that if you ask some people to work during the Chinese New Year you have to pay double. If it is the first day of the Chinese New Year then you may need to pay triple. Even you are willing to pay, people are still very likely to refuse to do so, because it is the time for the family not for work. It is the far most important days in a year!

I just cannot imagine how can the government mobilize the people to work or even just open the shops if it is really hosted during the Chinese new year.

... and what I just heard that the proposed Beijing 2022 winter olympic will be hosted during the Chinese New Year? No it is certainly not a good idea. Chinese New Year is the period that ALL people go back to their home town and stay with their family! For the whole 3-7 days nearly all shops on the street CLOSED!

The normal practice is that if you ask some people to work during the Chinese New Year you have to pay double. If it is the first day of the Chinese New Year then you may need to pay triple. Even you are willing to pay, people are still very likely to refuse to do so, because it is the time for the family not for work. It is the far most important days in a year!

I just cannot imagine how can the government mobilize the people to work or even just open the shops if it is really hosted during the Chinese new year.

maybe that is the point of the bid because i remember that during the apec meeting the complex around it are free from any activity maybe they wan't to have the games that way... free from the locals...

It's a sad day when the International Olympic Committee cannot even clear one of the lowest bars for choosing the host city for the Winter Games: snow.

Beijing has no snow, and that’s just one of the serious problems with having the city host the Olympics — again

Click the link above to read the editorial.

It's a sad day when the International Olympic Committee cannot even clear one of the lowest bars for choosing the host city for the Winter Games: snow.

Beijing has no snow, and that’s just one of the serious problems with having the city host the Olympics — again

And if Almaty had won, the headlines would be about the problems they and Kazakhstan face. You're only fooling yourself if you think Beijing was the only 1 of these 2 candidates with issues they faced. That Beijing won and we're now focusing on them doesn't mean Almaty would have been that much more acceptable of a choice had they won.

Agree. It is not good to have the same city to host the Olympics again.

At least a different city from the same country. In the case of China, Harbin or Changchun is more reasonable.

Agree. It is not good to have the same city to host the Olympics again.

At least a different city from the same country. In the case of China, Harbin or Changchun is more reasonable.

Exactly. I don't know why we should be obliged to be enthusiastic about this selection simply because it's the Olympics. I understand it was one of two less than ideal candidates. But that doesn't make it any better.

And if Almaty had won, the headlines would be about the problems they and Kazakhstan face. You're only fooling yourself if you think Beijing was the only 1 of these 2 candidates with issues they faced. That Beijing won and we're now focusing on them doesn't mean Almaty would have been that much more acceptable of a choice had they won.

You're right. That's the "tragedy" if you will about this whole 2022 bidding process. The IOC has a lot of work to do to make winter games bidding more appealing for potential hosts. There are many great possible venues in the world for winter games. It's a shame it came down to two places that are far less than desirable.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that Beijing is an unsuitable host for these Winter Games doesn't mean that I'm commenting on Almaty.

But having said that, Almaty would have been viewed as the IOC breaking new ground in an country and area not known for being Olympic hosts.

When the IOC says "change" they mean "more of the same".

Archived