What's your 2022 winning guess?

It'll be a tie and Tommy Bach will have to choose Almaty!

Seriously I think it'll be pretty close, but Almaty will win by a slim margin since I think it is a generally better bid and also Russia can influence other members to vote for them ;)

It's a tough one.

Almaty has the benefit of a solid plan and not having hosted before. However it is a region that can be a pain to get to and would be one of the more obscure Olympic locales. A fascinating option - and by giving the Games to Almaty they can happily ignore Baku by stating the central Asians have had a recent Games :)

Also - it is not Beijing.

Beijing has a huge swath of Games ready venues, has the know how and drive to get the job done and has pretty stellar hosting experience. The distance between the snow and ice clusters will be a pain if they don't get the rail sorted. A lot of people will take offense at China hosting again but that didn't hurt the 2008 Games when all said and done. The IOC knows how to handle the Chinese - however do they really want to go back to the big Beij after just 14 years? Do they want to give Beijing the honour of hosting both Games first?

My head says Beijing but my wandering heart says Almaty.

What are the odds the IOC just tells these two bozo bids that they suck & just need to pack it up & go home! Then the IOC calls for "emergency bids" like they did when Denver told them to go stuff it in 1973 for winter 1976?! Lmfao! :-D

What are the odds the IOC just tells these two bozo bids that they suck & just need to pack it up & go home! Then the IOC calls for "emergency bids" like they did when Denver told them to go stuff it in 1973 for winter 1976?! Lmfao! :-D

Well it's not the same situation. The emergency bid was called AFTER Denver won the right to host the games then gave it back to the IOC.

I think the IOC should have called it off as soon as Oslo dropped out, called up Almaty and Beijing to tell them they're complete dicks and they don't want the WOGs to be held in either city, and called up European cities and American cities and beg them to bid. OR just have gone straight to an approval vote rather than a running for the first one willing to host.

Well it's not the same situation. The emergency bid was called AFTER Denver won the right to host the games then gave it back to the IOC..

Yeah, I know it was after Denver won. It was hypothetical & mostly made in jest. Hence the "lmfao".

I want to say that the IOC is intelligent enough (more than FIFA) to abide by Agenda 2020 by now. Whenever I or anyone else says this, someone always comes back saying that the Agenda is not in effect here and/or it will never be.

I also believe that they care that the athletes have the best environment for a Winter Games, so to be honest as Almaty has been, there should be (not always the case in the past, I know) actual snow. Not snow taken from "reserves" that may or may not be connected to several farms...

I think Almaty had the emotional appeal and the (relatively) austere plan that might sway the IOC. I certainly don't think it will be as one-sided as 2018.

Like runningrings, I'd like to see the winter Olympics in China, I'd just like to see them in a proper winter city.

Edited by Fox334

This is a longshot, but I'm betting on Olso.

This is a longshot, but I'm betting on Harbin. :D B)

Beijing unfortunately.

:P

I honestly can't say. I want Almaty, despite Beijing being one of my favourite cities and being there in person in 2008.

I'd like a Chinese Winter Games... But in Harbin.

:wub: Ohhh, dear, u know me....~!

I honestly can't say. I want Almaty, despite Beijing being one of my favourite cities and being there in person in 2008.

I'd like a Chinese Winter Games... But in Harbin.

Same here I think Harbin is a far better choice as a WOG host city. It's actually cold there. To hell with it getting "too cold it's the WOGs you're supposed to be cold, even uncomfortably cold. Also, China has hosted the Asian Winter Games twice in that area, once in Harbin and another time in Changchun. Also, who wouldn't love to have a Winter Olympics in Harbin during the world-renowned ice festival!

harbin-ice-festiva_2781691k.jpg

• Like 2

Harbin is one of China's most charismatic small cities, they'd be silly to pursue Beijing in the future at its expense.

I think if we see a Beijing failure tonight, I'm wondering if the Chinese committees focus will :

-Remain on the Winter Games, and if so;

-on Beijing, or another option like Harbin or Jilin City.

- and if not, and it does think about pursuing a second Summer Games, which can (let's face it) after Tokyo 2.0 the Chinese bid for a SOG:.. Could easily see a strong Shanghai bid in the 2030s....

Harbin is one of China's most charismatic small cities, they'd be silly to pursue Beijing in the future at its expense.

Perhaps compared to the rest of China yes it is a small city but it's a pretty big city compared to the rest of the world. It's certainly capable of being a WOG city, especially since the majority of its WOG athletes train and/or live there.

…Just don’t see how they can choose Beijing, which seems to have all the trappings of a huge pre-agenda 2020 bids. Building tons from scratch, remote venues in multiple far flung clusters, promises of gargantuan building projects that will no doubt incur cost overruns, committing to faking a winter snow environment (at what cost?) suitable for ski and board sport, Beijing has all the signs of a ginormous megalogames.

If they don’t go to Almaty they just look like the agenda 2020 crap was crap...........we know its crap, and they know its crap, but now they gotta go to Almaty just to save a bit of face.

I’d prefer China but just don’t see how they could do it.

Ideal scenario: choose china and Bach is forced to resign and move to Boston.

Edited by paul

I think if we see a Beijing failure tonight, I'm wondering if the Chinese committees focus will :

-Remain on the Winter Games, and if so;

-on Beijing, or another option like Harbin or Jilin City.

- and if not, and it does think about pursuing a second Summer Games, which can (let's face it) after Tokyo 2.0 the Chinese bid for a SOG:.. Could easily see a strong Shanghai bid in the 2030s....

Plz pay attention to your word"small".....

Lol, u should google Harbin...