128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I told myself I wouldn't give a sh!t who won. But I realised pretty quickly after I read the announcement that while I would have accepted Almaty, I was totally disgusted by the Beijing choice. I hone

Yeah it's not a surprise. Just very sad that the IOC is rewarding a nation that lied about their 2008 legacies, poison the environment, abuse and persecute innocent people, have venues from 2008 wasti

Beijing: entitled Almaty: aspirant Beijing: we speak Chinese Almaty: we speak English, sort of. But we make an effort Beijing: Our grande fromage is too busy to come, but he sends you the followin

Both sides are driving home the point that the games can help young people have the opportunities to become top athletes, but I think Almaty drove it home better with Denis Ten as an example.

Denis' story becoming an athlete is just incredible. Descendent of Korean parents, he trained in the ice skating rink in the shopping mall. I mean there is no athlete who could have spoken for Almaty better than him, and none hold a candle to him for the Beijing bid.

Meanwhile in Jakarta, just km from KL, no one seems to know what's going on there. Wait, I do. I thought Almaty's presentation was good and really highlight others' weakness. Beijing is actually not that bad, though.

Evaluation Commission presentation in 2 hours, vote in 3 hours 15 minutes, Announcement in 4 hours 45 minutes.

VERY! It didn't really say anything. What did Almaty answer with? I missed that one if someone would please summarize what they said for me.

Prince Albert asked about how Almaty said that only 2 venues needed to be built, but that the presentation mentioned others under construction. The Almaty 2022 President I think responded by saying that of the 4 non-existing venues for Almaty 2022, two of them are being built for the Universiade in 2017, and are at 60-70% completion. The other two are games dependent and are proposed as of now. He was very straight forwards and actually answered the question.

Political Stability? Social Harmony? Maybe they are still using emotions, unlike Almaty's facts...

You say that as if their competition were beacons of such points. In *comparison*, yes, China has political stability & social harmony. Let's remember, Norway dropped out.

Well when he's not knocking up the random commoner, he has a lot of time on his hands.

Prince Albert, Prince of IOC Sessions

When the race for 2018 was going on, hardly anyone gave Annecy any chance whatsoever. Then on election day, many people here were just WOWED by their final presentation that they then were saying that they could indeed probably pull it off & sweep the rug right under both Munich & PyeongChang. Needless to say, Annecy just wound up with a mere seven votes.

• Like 1

Beijing: entitled

Almaty: aspirant

Beijing: we speak Chinese

Almaty: we speak English, sort of. But we make an effort

Beijing: Our grande fromage is too busy to come, but he sends you the following passionless message.

Almaty: Here is our nominal head of government. Nominal rather than actual, mind you.

Beijing: Basketball player because...why?

Almaty: current medallist, plus youth medallist.

I can't see how Beijing could win this. I really can't. In fact, if it were Almaty versus any of the Europeans except Oslo, I could see Almaty still in with a chance after their presentation.

• Like 3

Here's the key problem with Beijing's presentation today (at least for me, and probably for a lot of others around here)... Jawnbc called the Chinese Premier's message "passionless" and that is spot on, not just for the premier's message but for the entire presentation. Contrast that to fourteen years ago when Beijing was bidding for the 2008 SOG, where their drive and determination was palpable. This was uninspiring and lifeless in comparison.

Maybe I'm just too caught up in hoping that Almaty wins. I like different. I like new. I think that Central Asia is a fascinating place and would love to visit there, even if it's just through my television set for two weeks in February 2022. China, especially Beijing, is really "been there, done that" proposition.

• Like 2