128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

but when you have that huge economy a little winter games isn't gonna breack the bank I guess even if they keep slipping

.....or if things go worng....it's gonna be FUN to see them build those winter cities.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I told myself I wouldn't give a sh!t who won. But I realised pretty quickly after I read the announcement that while I would have accepted Almaty, I was totally disgusted by the Beijing choice. I hone

Yeah it's not a surprise. Just very sad that the IOC is rewarding a nation that lied about their 2008 legacies, poison the environment, abuse and persecute innocent people, have venues from 2008 wasti

Beijing: entitled Almaty: aspirant Beijing: we speak Chinese Almaty: we speak English, sort of. But we make an effort Beijing: Our grande fromage is too busy to come, but he sends you the followin

I don't know what's hard to get about criticising the IOC's choice: Both options sucked for various reasons, but since it is WINTER Games that were decided, the lesser evil would have been the place where winter actually exists. Whether China is really so much more stable than Kazakhstan in seven years remains to be seen really, if that was really the dealbreaker here.

You're questioning whether China will be more stable than Kazakhstan? 1 nation literally has a GDP nearly 50 times as large as the other. So if you're concerned about China's stability, I don't think Kazakhstan is the right measure to put them up against.

It's not hard to criticize the IOC's choice. But had they made the other choice, we'd still be criticizing them. Like you said, both options sucked. We can all make pretty good arguments for why they sucked and which 1 sucked more. However, if you're going to focus on Beijing now that they won, whatever the issues are with China and the selection of Beijing/Zhangjiakou as an Olympic host, if you're being fair to them, you have to at the very least subtract from those issues what an Almaty/Kazakhstan Olympics would have given us.

Hey! Jakarta will host the 2018 Asian Games! Indonesia is considered as an emerging and one of the most promising countries in SEA, esp. after Widodo was elected as the president (check this guy. He is very different from other politicians). If Indonesia keeps improving, it would be very possible to see an Olympic bid from them, say, after 10 -20 years.02

If SEA want's to bid for the olympics i'm going with Singapore,KL,and Bangkok these three cities is the best to bid with maybe Manila on 4th besides it seems like you never check the asiad 2018 thread where i'm posting news that Indonesia is moving backwards after Joko Widodo's victory and how the asiad is lack of any preparation from the government...

As the dust settles from the vote, here's my thoughts. Beijing was the insurance policy in this race and the IOC cashed it. Frankly, who can blame them. They chose the safe route. That being said, it's plainly obvious that if the IOC had their way, they wouldn't have awarded either city the WOGs. In fact, Almaty would never have even been on the shortlist. When Stockholm and Krakow pulled out along with the failed referendum in Munich, the IOC responded along the lines of "that's ok we respect the will of the people." They did that because they still had a viable candidate in the race that would've won in a landslide in Oslo. Then Oslo drops out. How does the IOC react? They give the Norwegians a stern tongue lashing.

I expected Beijing to win in a landslide. Almaty gave them more than a run for their money. Great presentation but that doesn't win Olympic bids on its own or else we'd see Annecy hosting in 2018 and Madrid in 2020. Almaty would not have beaten any of the European candidates and if the U.S. had decided to bid whether it was Reno or Denver they would've been crushed by them as well. This was Almaty's shot and they were described only as "capable" in their evaluation. They aren't a proven commodity. Beijing is. For all the talk about real snow, hey, Beijing needs artificial snow so what? Almaty had its issues as well with accommodation and the issue of snow is a lot easier to fix. My sports talk radio station in Dallas touched on the race today and they speculated a lot of the anger towards Beijing winning stemmed from the fact that it was Beijing that was making history as the first city to host both the WOG and SOG and only 14 years difference between them when the honor could've gone to Stockholm or Munich or even Helsinki. The IOC deserves full blame for that.

Finally, I have to disagree somewhat with the GamesBids article on the IOC visits. Could IOC visits have given a vote or two to Almaty? I would acknowledge that as a possibility, but I also think the reverse is also true, perhaps a IOC member or two would've been enthralled by what would have been an expensive and lavish visit by the Chinese to convince them to vote for them.

Finally, I have to disagree somewhat with the GamesBids article on the IOC visits. Could IOC visits have given a vote or two to Almaty? I would acknowledge that as a possibility, but I also think the reverse is also true, perhaps a IOC member or two would've been enthralled by what would have been an expensive and lavish visit by the Chinese to convince them to vote for them.

Most of the IOC'ers there in Koala Lumpur have seen Beijing first hand. FGS', there were only present just 7 years ago; so they the lay of the land, the players, the ways of the Chinese. Perhaps not more than a handful have actually set foot in Almaty, so that is how Almaty is handicapped. When Durban runs either in 2021 or 2025, perhaps 2/3rds of the voting body then will have been amongst those who convened in Durban in 2011; thus giving Durban a leg up vs. its competitors in each race, because they have seen the city first hand.

I think what is more intriguing is: (1) what were the results of the first electronic voting which they had to junk? Do those results jibe with the paper voting? And (2) what if 4 or 5 more of the absent members were around, would that have made a difference? But we'll never know. Actually, one thing the IOC could introduce is advanced, absentee voting by those who know they cannot make it. They can call in or Skype their votes.

I'm still not so convinced that IOC members "lack" of not really knowing Kazahkstan was really the issue. For supposedly such an unknown, they still managed to do a heck of a lot better than many expected them to.

That to me suggest one of two things. Either one, many IOC members did indeed know more about Almaty than we're actually giving them credit for. Or two, there were some shady dealings going on. Or perhaps a little bit of both.

Like I said in one of the newswire threads yesterday, relatively unknown PyeongChang still managed to runaway with it against much more popular Munich (& to a lesser extent Annecy). Let's also not forget no-name Sochi taking the win over the "Sound of Music" Salzburg. So there's still too much gray area there to try & pin it on that.

PyeongChang? It was the simple case of their 3rd time bid. Nagging does pay off sometimes. Annecy was criticized initially for it's complex, spread out bid and even with changes to that bid, the French bid always seemed to look cheap. Munich had the Ice and Snow clusters, but too many snow sports were to be located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a bit of strain for the small town and former Olympic venue.

As for Sochi, it was their 2nd bid. They made a bid with absolutely nothing in 2002 and did essentially the same initial bid for their 2013 application. They then changed things up by offering the unique Olympic Park concept, something the other 2 couldn't match (or eliminated bidders for that matter). It should also be noted that some ex-Soviet cities/countries like Georgia and Kazakhstan made applicant bids, it was clear that only the strongest of such cities would make it through and that was Sochi and Russia.

Has there ever in recent memory been an Olympic bidding process and host city election more farcical and depressing than that for the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Of the original 6 candidates, no less than 4 withdrawals leaving a choice between a city that actually has snow but no experience of bidding and a city that has none at all but experience of hosting only 7 years ago! :wacko:

Let's hope the 2024 bid can revive the whole process and re-kindle interest for those of us who joined this forum in the first place in order to participate in the excitement of Olympic bidding! :mellow:

Edited by Mainad

PyeongChang? It was the simple case of their 3rd time bid. Nagging does pay off sometimes.

You mean like how Madrid's, Istanbul's, Ostersund's, Sion's & Detroit's 'nagging' all got them? Oh that's right, none of their nagging got them anywhere. I'd classify PyeongChang's case as persistence.

Munich had the Ice and Snow clusters, but too many snow sports were to be located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a bit of strain for the small town and former Olympic venue..

Oh come on now. For all the criticism PyeongChang got on these boards (& ironically enough, one of them was questionable snow), Munich 2018 was never really seen as having great deficiencies.

It should also be noted that some ex-Soviet cities/countries like Georgia and Kazakhstan made applicant bids, it was clear that only the strongest of such cities would make it through and that was Sochi and Russia.

Yeah, & you forget to mention Putin's very deep pocketbook. :-P

• Like 1

@Mainad. It is what it is. Remember when people used to cross oceans in rickety, old wooden galleons? :blink:

Yes, but I had assumed the IOC had progressed to modern steamships by now! <_<

• Like 1
"Bach hints at Tokyo-style redraft of Beijing’s winning Winter Olympic Games blueprint" http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1029076/bach-hints-at-tokyo-style-redraft-of-beijings-winning-winter-olympic-games-blueprint

This is confusing in two respects. First, in the case of Tokyo, to promote sustainability, organizers are being allowed, if not encouraged, to use cheaper and more remote venues than originally planned, abandoning, in some respects, the compact plan originally envisioned. Given Beijing's already less than compact footprint, it's hard to imagine spreading things out further. If not that, what other "redraft" might he be contemplating? Second, shouldn't IOC members have a reasonably clear idea as to a Games plan before they vote? What's the point of the whole bid-evaluation-presentation exercise, if things are going to change in major ways right after the vote?

All of the alpine/outdoor events will be shifted to either all the way to Harbin, for a much more "wintery" atmosphere, or back to PyeongChang, as a cost effective manuveur to coincide more with "agenda 2020"! lolz :-D

This Is It, Last Day of The 128th IOC Session In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 3 Days Ago, Beijing Won The Bid, Aklmaty Lost Due To Outdated Rule. We Will Be Back Next Year At The Olympic Games In Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

I don't think you'll see anything moved to Harbin especially the alpine events. Wasn't one of the reasons for the IOC rejecting Harbin's 2010 bid because the alpine events would've been held at a ski resort that is a bit too close to North Korea and in disputed territory? Rather, I would think the IOC would move the ski jumping and or bobsleigh competitions to somewhere else (Pyeongchang?) Both the ski jump and the bobsleigh track have proven to largely be white elephant venues.

The Harbin comment was made in jest, hence the "lolz". But if you're going to cite reasons against them, let's not forget that Harbin 2010 was coming at the heels of Beijing's 2008 bid (which at time, they hadn't even won yet). That had A LOT more to do with Harbin's rejection than having a ski resort too close to North Korea. Besides, let's keep in mind how close PyeongChang is actually to the North Korean border anyway. So that aspect is neither here nor there.

The problem with the current bid process is that it eventually comes down to the vote of individual IOC members. That means they can choose any city they "fancy" at the moment no matter what their plans are. Now it looks like president Bach wants to fix these odd choices by introducing post-bids adjustment. Maybe they should scrap the voting system and let the executive board take control of how and where to organise the next games.

Maybe they should scrap the voting system and let the executive board take control of how and where to organise the next games.

Uhmmm, hello. Think Zurich, December 2010, with results like Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022. Remember??

And you want the IOC to "reform" to a FIFA-style voting...while FIFA actually expands their voting base to the WHOLE membership of 209 members? Did you get a lobotomy yesterday??? :blink:

Here's a question. Would Almaty had won if they offered more "jokes" at their expense? Would a cameo by fictional character Borat boost their image? Would his remarks to support the Almaty Olympic Winter Games been on IOC voters' minds? Or would it have made the whole Almaty presentation seem childish?