GBModerator

128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

^Hyperboling much there?

Both choices sucked. One moreso than the other, however. Plain & simple.

Sochi was a reference to your "defense" of how Almaty might still be able to use all the hotels that they would've had to build, which is a farce. My point was if Sochi couldn't use them, a sub-tropical city on the coast of the Black Sea, & in much more known Russia, what makes you think that obsure Almaty in remote Central Asia would fair any better in that aspect.

Has any host city ever tried providing some hotels on the same basis as the Athletes' Village, designed to be converted to housing after the Games?

I ExpectcBeijing Will Use Their 2008 Venues. Why Don't They Just Build A Mountain Closer To The Old 2008 Venues? Tiananmen Square Is Big Enough?

Has any host city ever tried providing some hotels on the same basis as the Athletes' Village, designed to be converted to housing after the Games?

What? Your post isn't clear. I think the last Games on record which housed athletes in hotels was LA 1932 (when the women, I believe were housed in a hotel) -- I think, unless I'm mixing it up with another set of Games. (But the hotel in LA did NOT convert to housing afterwards; it stayed a hotel.) I don't know which was the last Winter Games to have done that.

About Agenda 2020, going back on what I said before the Agenda didn't really effect this race as much as it will for future ones, like FYI has said. Mostly because the process started before the Monaco Session. The greater interest in 2024 and I suppose when Stockholm said they would join back in if they could both show that the Agenda is starting to take form, but it was just too early here. I'm sure Beijing will put on great games, regardless of what may happen afterwards.

Like Mischa in Moscow and Sochi, we will probably see Fu-lei-lei or whatever the names of those 5 Devil Spawn mascots of '08 make some tearful comeback in 7 years.

4 votes? Hmmm. So it needed only 2 to equalize. Those small margins always hurt more than landslides.

Question about Beijing bid: if they are putting that skijump inside Birds' Nest, they will still have ceremonies in there???

What? Your post isn't clear. I think the last Games on record which housed athletes in hotels was LA 1932 (when the women, I believe were housed in a hotel) -- I think, unless I'm mixing it up with another set of Games. (But the hotel in LA did NOT convert to housing afterwards; it stayed a hotel.) I don't know which was the last Winter Games to have done that.

I wonder if he means turning those hotels into housing after the Games in addition to the OV. But if some previous host cities have had trouble just turning the Olympic village into housing, then how can they do that AND the hotels as well. Especially in a not-so very big market like Almaty, Sochi, etc.

4 votes? Hmmm. So it needed only 2 to equalize. Those small margins always hurt more than landslides./quote]

I'm telling ya, apples pies were brought in for all!

• Like 1

From the point of view of a Chinese: be frank we don't quite enthusiastic on this bid. At the beginning nearly all people believed that the bid was just a strategy from Zhangjiakou to promote their name nationalwide. After all at that time no one believed that China will be awarded the game directly after PC 2018 and Tokyo 2020, and most people do think the first Chinese winter olympic should go to Harbin.

However, god-knows-why all European candidates pulled out of the bid, leaving Beijing and Almaty. Okay if we are still in the bid we will try our best to do it. Then god-knows-why we won the bid. Okay fine. Once we get the host we will work on it nicely, at least no construction works will be delayed, and people in Beijing, Yanqing and Zhangjiakou will try their best to receive visitors all over the world.

If you really want to take the host away from Beijing, okay go ahead. Most people in China will not find it very sad if Beijing lost the host. Then who will host it? Almaty? Great. Kazakhstan's beauty and cultural heritage has long been underestimated. We would love to see a Kazakhstan winter olympic as well.

Anyway, as we have already got the host, in the coming 7 years we will try our best to deliver a wonderful games. Welcome to celebrate the 2022 Winter Olympic together with the Chinese New Year with us in Beijing!

Like Mischa in Moscow and Sochi, we will probably see Fu-lei-lei or whatever the names of those 5 Devil Spawn mascots of '08 make some tearful comeback in 7 years.

4 votes? Hmmm. So it needed only 2 to equalize. Those small margins always hurt more than landslides.

Question about Beijing bid: if they are putting that skijump inside Birds' Nest, they will still have ceremonies in there???

Don't worry. The Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee will hold a mascot competition soon. I am sure your submission of your own photo named it Fu-lei-lei or Er-bai-wu will be much welcome.

• Like 1

However, god-knows-why all European candidates pulled out of the bid, leaving Beijing and Almaty. Okay if we are still in the bid we will try our best to do it. Then god-knows-why we won the bid. Okay fine. Once we get the host we will work on it nicely, at least no construction works will be delayed, and people in Beijing, Yanqing and Zhangjiakou will try their best to receive visitors all over the world.

If you really want to take the host away from Beijing, okay go ahead. Most people in China will not find it very sad if Beijing lost the host. Then who will host it? Almaty? Great. Kazakhstan's beauty and cultural heritage has long been underestimated. We would love to see a Kazakhstan winter olympic as well.

Anyway, as we have already got the host, in the coming 7 years we will try our best to deliver a wonderful games. Welcome to celebrate the 2022 Winter Olympic together with the Chinese New Year with us in Beijing!

You don't need to be G-d to know why the European cities all pulled out en masse. They simply didn't want to get in bed with the IOC and refused to offer to work with them. That Beijing and Almaty were the only 2 left standing is that they probably just didn't care - China, because they're China. And Almaty because they're in Kazakhstan and they may never get a better shot at landing an Olympics. Sucks for them they lose a close vote.

In the end, the IOC was left with 2 bad choices. If Almaty had won (and the vote was closer than some of us anticipated, myself included), there would be a lot of grumbling as well, just for different reasons. But for all the back-and-forth here (which I'm glad I didn't wake up early for), it's over. Beijing is the host of the XXIV Olympic Winter Games. And in short time, I'm betting most people not affiliated with this website will largely have forgotten that Almaty and Kazakhstan were ever under consideration in the first place.

The baseball and softball venues of Beijing 2008 didn't start a tradition for those sports in China either (and yes, it was the same in Greece after the 2004 Games). Maybe one should be a bit realistic and admit (also to oneself) that some sports can't be forced unto a nation and that there will always be sports for which no tradition can be created. And for doing "Let's start a tradition" experiments, building and maintaining a luge track is a bit too expensive (also for the environment).

Both were demolished after the games. Anyways I wonder how much investment China will put in winter sport now so they can finish in first.

You don't need to be G-d to know why the European cities all pulled out en masse. They simply didn't want to get in bed with the IOC and refused to offer to work with them. That Beijing and Almaty were the only 2 left standing is that they probably just didn't care - China, because they're China. And Almaty because they're in Kazakhstan and they may never get a better shot at landing an Olympics. Sucks for them they lose a close vote.

In the end, the IOC was left with 2 bad choices. If Almaty had won (and the vote was closer than some of us anticipated, myself included), there would be a lot of grumbling as well, just for different reasons. But for all the back-and-forth here (which I'm glad I didn't wake up early for), it's over. Beijing is the host of the XXIV Olympic Winter Games. And in short time, I'm betting most people not affiliated with this website will largely have forgotten that Almaty and Kazakhstan were ever under consideration in the first place.

I wish Kazakhstan will bid for the games again. An Olympic in Central Asia would be fascinating!

^Hyperboling much there?

Both choices sucked. One moreso than the other, however. Plain & simple.

Indeed, and the one that sucked more was chosen.

• Like 1

Both were demolished after the games. Anyways I wonder how much investment China will put in winter sport now so they can finish in first.

The baseball venue was designed as a temporary site and was demolished after the Olympic as scheduled. The venue for softball is located at Fengtai which is quite far away from the city centre. It is underused but still there. A new subway line has just completed to reach this venue:

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/place/Fengtai+Sports+Center/@39.8652849,116.2731441,1037m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xf399f74eba6014f0!6m1!1e1

I wish Kazakhstan will bid for the games again. An Olympic in Central Asia would be fascinating!

Maybe it would be, but is the IOC willing to put their once every 4 years event in Central Asia. If there are few other countries out there interested (as was the case today), they've got a shot. Otherwise, I'm not sure I see it happening. There simply aren't enough Winter Olympics to pass up traditional markets in Europe and North America if that opportunity is there.

Poor Almaty. They will have to wait a long time. After Winter 2014-18-22 (and throw in Tokyo 2020 there), the Winter IFs will want to bring back the WOGs to either Europe or No. America. I'd say 2026 to No. America esp. after 2024 looks like it will be headed for Europe. So poor Almaty's next best chance will probably by 2030.

BTW, if Paris gets 2024, that totally kills Annecy's hopes. So, I'm afraid that the "A" winter cities (Almaty, Annecy, Aomori, Anchorage, Auckland) will be sitting out for awhile.

In the end, the IOC was left with 2 bad choices. If Almaty had won (and the vote was closer than some of us anticipated, myself included), there would be a lot of grumbling as well, just for different reasons.

Exactly!

Indeed, and the one that sucked more was chosen.

That's merely a matter of opinion. Just see above.

*to the previous post I quoted.

Another big loser in all this is Harbin. They didn't even get one venue in Beijing's 2022 plan.

It is a reprisal from Beijing to Harbin for their disrespectful and unsuccessful attempt to take over the imperial status of national capital from Beijing when the People's Republic of China was founded in 1949.

(Harbin was once a very strong candidate of the capital city in 1949.)

Right now I think Kazakhstan has too many basic problems to be a good host. People are viewing this from the perspective of big evil China vs little Kazakhstan, but in fact China is more democratic than Kazakhstan, and is a better traditional commercial market. Meanwhile Kazakhstan is a dictatorship (with a dictator who will probably die before 2022, raising the specter of revolution right before the Olympics) with a tiny middle class and an oil-based economy.

If those things are resolved (the government democratizes and the public is educated) then I think Almaty will be a very attractive host.

• Like 2

Right now I think Kazakhstan has too many basic problems to be a good host. People are viewing this from the perspective of big evil China vs little Kazakhstan, but in fact China is more democratic than Kazakhstan, and is a better traditional commercial market. Meanwhile Kazakhstan is a dictatorship (with a dictator who will probably die before 2022, raising the specter of revolution right before the Olympics) with a tiny middle class and an oil-based economy.

If those things are resolved (the government democratizes and the public is educated) then I think Almaty will be a very attractive host.

I am very glad that you consider my country to be "more democratic", although I think we should adopt the universal standard rather than the Kazakhstan standard for comparison here.

:D:D:D