128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

That's merely a matter of opinion. Just see above.

*to the previous post I quoted.

Like everything else on this forum. I stick by seeing Almaty as the lesser evil, and even if Almaty's bid will soon be forgotten, the mere fact that the IOC has again bowed to China will fuel anti-Olympics movements. The Hamburg No campaign has already taken this up in their argumentation,

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really feels like a "missed opportunity" for Almaty. Now with 3 consecutive games in Asia, it will be difficult for them to get a second chance anytime soon. Anyway it all depends on how Kazakhstan will develop as a country in the coming 10/15 years. In fact, despite liking their bid more than Beijing, I always thought the big question was going to be "where will Kazakhstan be in 7 years' time?" Clearly IOC members did not want to take that risk. However they stated they have a vision for Kazakhstan 2050 and if they keep doing well, I think they could host an olympics in the '30's or '40's.

Like everything else on this forum. I stick by seeing Almaty as the lesser evil, and even if Almaty's bid will soon be forgotten, the mere fact that the IOC has again bowed to China will fuel anti-Olympics movements. The Hamburg No campaign has already taken this up in their argumentation,

Umm, okay. But the majority of opinion on this forum doesn't agree with yours;

As like this one, which I say hits it right on the money. Kazahkstan had the perfect ingredients to have been a very tumultuous ride for the IOC. It's really the winter version of Baku. And most of us know how you feel about Azerbaijan lmfao!

And just like in these forums, I'm sure in Germany most will be able to see through the fog.

Right now I think Kazakhstan has too many basic problems to be a good host. People are viewing this from the perspective of big evil China vs little Kazakhstan, but in fact China is more democratic than Kazakhstan, and is a better traditional commercial market. Meanwhile Kazakhstan is a dictatorship (with a dictator who will probably die before 2022, raising the specter of revolution right before the Olympics) with a tiny middle class and an oil-based economy.

If those things are resolved (the government democratizes and the public is educated) then I think Almaty will be a very attractive host.

*make that smokescreen instead of fog.

No one forced the IOC to choose Beijing. The Beijing bid campaign is very passive this time. If the IOC members vote for Beijing, we thank them. If they don't, it's totally fine.

im glad beijing won, dont care what they spend....they have the money, it's gonna be fun to watch them build a couple cities and have a BIG winter games. hope they get the snow thing in order. and now they have a better legacy for their 2008 venues, the IOC can breath easier about that.

Almaty is not winter fantasy heaven

snow and smog....yes, but no angels.

Umm, okay. But the majority of opinion on this forum doesn't agree with yours;

As like this one, which I say hits it right on the money. Kazahkstan had the perfect ingredients to have been a very tumultuous ride for the IOC. It's really the winter version of Baku. And most of us know how you feel about Azerbaijan lmfao!

And just like in these forums, I'm sure in Germany most will be able to see through the fog

I don't say Almaty wouldn't have had those risks, and as you also like to point out yourself often enough, every race has its own dynamic, so claiming it's like a winter version of Baku is beside the point.

It's also irrelevant whether Germans see through the fog/smokescreen - if the right (or wrong) people vote in November, Hamburg is dead. The FB comments here today clearly point in a direction that should DOSB get worried. And the No campaigns use social media very effectively these days, so underestimate this at your own risk.

Lmfao - underestimate at my own risk? It doesn't matter to me if the Hamburg referendum passes or not. Like you said, it's the DOSB that should worry (or better yet, the IOC).

Like you also said, no-campaigners are effective at what they do these days bcuz of social media. And like Quaker mentioned, even if Almaty had won, there'd still be gripes about it but in other forms, & the no-groups in Hamburg would still have twisted it to their advantage no matter what.

So in the event that Hamburg were to drop, the IOC still has Paris. If Paris were decides to quit, the IOC still has Rome. If Rome falls (lol), the IOC still has Los Angeles. If Los Angeles falters, the IOC would still have Toronto. And if Toronto recoils, the IOC still has Budapest. And if Budapest changes their mind (or not), the IOC still has Baku-koo, lmfao! :-D :-P

I've calmed down now. Anyway, I bet that Japan and South Korea would be horrified if, in seven years time, the Communists break through in several sports that they've been trying to break through for decades. I bet that there is a cross-country skier in South Korea or New Zealand or even Iceland who has been skiing since childhood and trains as hard as the Scandinavians if not harder, but won't ever make it to a World Cup, World Championship, and/or Olympic podium because FIS will be too busy pumping money so that the Communists can rope a man or woman who's never skied before into becoming a medal-hoarding machine for the good of the Communist Party, and so that the FIS will have completed its expansion mandate just like that and will henceforth ignore the development of their sports in other countries. "Oh, you've been skiing since you were a kid? And you live in New Zealand? And you're just as talented as the Norwegians? And your federation supports you as best as they can? Well, too bloody bad. We're going to groom some random person from Inner Mongolia or Hunan Province into the next Bjorn Daehlie even if he or she has only seen sand in his or her lifetime, and there's nothing you can do about it! (sinister laugh) You might as well call it a career and get a real job stocking shelves at an Auckland supermarket or prostituting yourself outside the supermarket. The only snow that you'll be seeing is cocaine."

Does this mean Stockholm/Are is now a possibility?

I was mocked the idea, but now, with the debacle of the 2020 Agenda and this race... Maybe the door is open, but it will need to watch which competitors has.

Good news for 2020 Agenda: Lausanne was selected to 2020 YWOG.

I can't lie, I'm terribly, absolutely gutted. Out of the 2 cities, Beijing was the one NOT deserving the Games. At least we now know what Agenda 2020 is all about: you don't need to have snow to host Winter Olympics; it is fine to build not one but three Olympic Villages; democracy and human rights don't matter (but this is nothing new); money will always wins over, no matter what. I can't wait to see how much those Games will cost. Probably more tha Sotchi.... Well, those are for sure the first Olympics I won't even bother watching.

It says a lot about what to expect for the 2024 race, and I think Paris should drop right now!

giphy.gif

Even this race doesn't deserve rage...

40-44 is a close vote but Beijing was always the favourite to win. Beijing will become the first city to host the winter and summer games.

Although this race was rather boring to be honest. I really hope that there is a bit more competition in future winter Olympic races.

Asia will host the games in 2018, 2020 and 2022. The world really is moving towards asia.

Mostly Eastern Asia. 3 olympics in a row. I hope Japan, Korea and China enjoy them because they won't be hosting the games again in a looooooooooong time.

I told myself I wouldn't give a sh!t who won. But I realised pretty quickly after I read the announcement that while I would have accepted Almaty, I was totally disgusted by the Beijing choice. I honestly think it is exactly the wrong choice between the two if the IOC wants to rebuild regard and interest in the games from the west again.

My interest in the games has been waning a lot lately anyway. I actually thought last night as I saw the name Beijing get posted here by OIympian2004 that I may be ready to chuck this while Games hobby away for good.

Yuck! Might be even scarcer around here now.

Beijing: entitled

Almaty: aspirant

Beijing: we speak Chinese

Almaty: we speak English, sort of. But we make an effort

Beijing: Our grande fromage is too busy to come, but he sends you the following passionless message.

Almaty: Here is our nominal head of government. Nominal rather than actual, mind you.

Beijing: Basketball player because...why?

Almaty: current medallist, plus youth medallist.

I can't see how Beijing could win this. I really can't. In fact, if it were Almaty versus any of the Europeans except Oslo, I could see Almaty still in with a chance after their presentation.

Final lesson: Never overestimated again the final presentations. Happened to Annecy 2018, happened to Madrid 2012, happened to Toronto 2008...

And from Almaty versus any of the Europeans - If they couldn't reach Beijing...

Mostly Eastern Asia. 3 olympics in a row. I hope Japan, Korea and China enjoy them because they won't be hosting the games again in a looooooooooong time.

Unless no one else but Asia wants the Games anymore! lol

2018: UTC+9

2020: UTC+9

2022: UTC+8

I'm sure NBC is just thrilled.

I'm sure NBC wasn't thrilled with either 2022 choice. Both were bad for them.

Live coverage of events in primetime. I think they'll be okay with that. And considering they already know Beijing inside and out, this is much better for them than Almaty. Right now, the execs are NBC are thrilled that Beijing won.

I know Almaty wasn't a saint but lets face it, they were a far more attractive choice and would had shown that unknown smaller cities are also able to host the games. Picking Beijing, the city which gave us in 2008 the most expensive and pompous games (and one of the responsables along Sochi of the recent anti-olympic attitude of so many cities now) is going to do no good at all for the IOC. In the end, money won. Again. So much about the olympic chart and human rights. At the end of the day, the IOC is as corrupt and malignant as your typical dictator. They're going to end like FIFA very soon at this pace.

Like many of you, it was only when Beijing won that I realized how much i actually rooted for Almaty. I hope they don't give up and try again in 2026, but after 3 olympics in a row in Asia i'm afraid their chances are going to be lower now. This was a golden oportunity which sadly they missed. Aw well, at least they still have the Expo and the Universiade.

I know Almaty wasn't a saint but lets face it, they were a far more attractive choice and would had shown that unknown smaller cities are also able to host the games. Picking Beijing, the city which gave us in 2008 the most expensive and pompous games (and one of the responsables along Sochi of the recent anti-olympic attitude of so many cities now) is going to do no good at all for the IOC. In the end, money won. Again. So much about the olympic chart and human rights. At the end of the day, the IOC is as corrupt and malignant as your typical dictator. They're going to end like FIFA very soon at this pace.

they were a far more attractive choice

According to whom? IMO, Almaty is only a step above of Baku-ko. Even having natural mountains doesn't dismiss the grey blockades of the city.

and would had shown that unknown smaller cities are also able to host the games.

Great, next race Reno, La Havane, Hambatona and Brasov need to pull an Olympic bid.

So much about the olympic chart and human rights.

Hypocritical much? These are the same problems like Kazakhstan did - Abuse of human rights (Including discrimination of LGBT communities and not writen discrimination of certain minorities), corruption, a crazy old olygarch as leader the country for more than 20 years, pollution issues (Especially related to water and soil resources), lack of democratic overture, a controlled economy without big development or freedom... People were acting as if Kazakhstan was Norway, Brazil or even South Africa. There wasn't any good decision from this race. Each of both results results in the same criticisms. Why are people pretending like Kazakhstan was the "better option" as a full revisionism? I still don't get it.

Picking Beijing, the city which gave us in 2008 the most expensive and pompous games

Not denying that point. Still, reading the IOC evaluation process, Almaty had "big concerns related to infrastructure and legacy". They had the venues, but they need big inversment to implementate infrastructure and especially accomodation. Considering the recent drop of Kazakh economy (Really dependant of oil price), why are you so sure these constructions couldn't end as another white elephants? Considering Kazakhstan is one of the most corrupt countries of the world (Even beating in some areas to China).

Perhaps Almaty is nice as a "new thing", but srly, nothing exclaim as "better choice".

You've calmed down? Really?

Just to be clear: assuming neither is doping, the athlete who wins deserves to win. There are no barriers to athletes from dozens of countries to train as hard. In the sports with a technical element (sliding, skiing, etc) when countries like Canada and the US started investing in the technical and athletic sides of the equation they've excelled.

Austria's tiny and does very very well. Ditto Norway. And in fact Japan and South Korea have expanded into new winter sport successes in the last half decade.

So I don't really buy this "oooh the communists are advantaged" argument. It's 2015, not 1975.

I've calmed down now. Anyway, I bet that Japan and South Korea would be horrified if, in seven years time, the Communists break through in several sports that they've been trying to break through for decades. I bet that there is a cross-country skier in South Korea or New Zealand or even Iceland who has been skiing since childhood and trains as hard as the Scandinavians if not harder, but won't ever make it to a World Cup, World Championship, and/or Olympic podium because FIS will be too busy pumping money so that the Communists can rope a man or woman who's never skied before into becoming a medal-hoarding machine for the good of the Communist Party, and so that the FIS will have completed its expansion mandate just like that and will henceforth ignore the development of their sports in other countries. "Oh, you've been skiing since you were a kid? And you live in New Zealand? And you're just as talented as the Norwegians? And your federation supports you as best as they can? Well, too bloody bad. We're going to groom some random person from Inner Mongolia or Hunan Province into the next Bjorn Daehlie even if he or she has only seen sand in his or her lifetime, and there's nothing you can do about it! (sinister laugh) You might as well call it a career and get a real job stocking shelves at an Auckland supermarket or prostituting yourself outside the supermarket. The only snow that you'll be seeing is cocaine."

Archived