128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us be real. After how Beijing delivered in 2008......can you ACTUALLY see the IOC going to Almaty? I insist that is why this race dwindled to two runners. The other cities who pulled out KNEW that when Beijing stepped in, it would be unbeatable. I am sad for Almaty because Kazaks are exceptionally warm hospitable people. I have some of them as friends and I believe they would have made for a truly wonderful experience. However, I congratulate Beijing. Discipline is what gets the gold. That's not to say Almaty was not disciplined....they were. But Beijing was given an opportunity to show just how disciplined it was in 2008, and it left the world mind-boggled.

So Can Almaty Win In The Second Round?

In a second bid race, you mean? Just like Roger87, I think that if Almaty couldn't beat a dreadful Beijing bid, it will most certainly not beat a strong bid by an European contender (if there will be any, that is) in the future.

Look, we're happy for you. Those of us who've experienced the Olympics in our countries understand how awesome that is. Congratulations.

Those of us who hoped after the ludicrous awarding of Sochi 2014 hoped that with Pyeonchang and Tokyo things were getting back on track. But this entirely selection has been a series of disasters. Neither choice was a good one for the movement.

But at least Almaty is a proper mountain city. With extensive experience hosting WINTER sports. Beijing doesn't have that, except for figure skating.

I only want to say, maybe some of you misunderstand 2020 Agenda and also misunderstand Beijing bid...so, enjoy the end.

Ugh. Just, ugh.

I felt asleep and i'm kind of glad so I didn't had to watch this.

Anyway, congratulations to the government of PRC because they're the true winners. Get ready for more evictions and human rights. Then again i shouldn't be surprised. I mean, the IOC already shown us long time ago they dont give a damn for human rights and picked them for 2008.

Yeah it's not a surprise. Just very sad that the IOC is rewarding a nation that lied about their 2008 legacies, poison the environment, abuse and persecute innocent people, have venues from 2008 wasting away with no legacy. People forcefully moved and hundreds of millions still malnourished whilst Beijing hosts the Olympics wasting money on fake snow.

Please try your best to take away the host right, please.

Ugh. Just, ugh.

Anyway, congratulations to the government of PRC because they're the true winners. Get ready for more evictions and human rights. Then again i shouldn't be surprised. I mean, the IOC already shown us long time ago they dont give a damn for human rights and picked them for 2008.

But to be fair, in this race the IOC only had the choice between the devil and the deep blue sea, regarding human rights. Kazakhstan is far from being a saint either.

Let us be real. After how Beijing delivered in 2008......can you ACTUALLY see the IOC going to Almaty? I insist that is why this race dwindled to two runners. The other cities who pulled out KNEW that when Beijing stepped in, it would be unbeatable. I am sad for Almaty because Kazaks are exceptionally warm hospitable people. I have some of them as friends and I believe they would have made for a truly wonderful experience. However, I congratulate Beijing. Discipline is what gets the gold. That's not to say Almaty was not disciplined....they were. But Beijing was given an opportunity to show just how disciplined it was in 2008, and it left the world mind-boggled.

It was indeed a beautiful lavish games. However it cost over $30 billion which is not what the IOC need. They really need a city to show the world you can host a good games cheap (not saying that's Almaty but Beijing is going to be so expensive). Not to mention nearly all of the legacies they promised, failed. Air pollution, lack of venue use, I've been to Beijing and many of it's sites are horrendously filthy. So many negatives

40-44 is a close vote but Beijing was always the favourite to win. Beijing will become the first city to host the winter and summer games.

Although this race was rather boring to be honest. I really hope that there is a bit more competition in future winter Olympic races.

Asia will host the games in 2018, 2020 and 2022. The world really is moving towards asia.

The IOC didn't have a great deal of choice for 2020 but Asia, & had no choice at all for this. If Toronto or LA had gone for 2020 & Oslo or Krakow had stayed in this race, we wouldn't be talking about 3 straight Asian Games.

Oh no... Beijing won. What a shame.

So lack of ready-to-go venues and artificial snow combined with environmental issue still can make you win a five rings bid. But, well, congrats Beijing.

My prediction for 3 Olympic host has been wrong so far lol.

Ugh. Just, ugh.

I fell asleep too. I can't say I'm not disappointed, I am. To me this shows that it's true this is the last bid process not under Agenda 2020 entirely, but that very few member made the difference between showing that. Just two members, actually.

I hope Almaty tries again in the future. Their bid had a lot to offer and a good amount of the IOC saw this as well. I can already see the headlines about Beijing. Noooo....

Oh no... Beijing won. What a shame.

So lack of ready-to-go venues and artificial snow combined with environmental issue still can make you win a five rings bid. But, well, congrats Beijing.

My prediction for 3 Olympic host has been wrong so far lol.

Really? None of the last three races were difficult to call.

Look, we're happy for you. Those of us who've experienced the Olympics in our countries understand how awesome that is. Congratulations.

Those of us who hoped after the ludicrous awarding of Sochi 2014 hoped that with Pyeonchang and Tokyo things were getting back on track. But this entirely selection has been a series of disasters. Neither choice was a good one for the movement.

But at least Almaty is a proper mountain city. With extensive experience hosting WINTER sports. Beijing doesn't have that, except for figure skating.

I promise some guys like u here are prejudice. I really want to know what your so-called TRACK? Now I could tell u the truth is the track u mentioned, sorry. U should accept and learn what the track really is. Plz talk to the truth...ok...don't be selfish and do respect endeavor.

Not even the Russian majority couldn't help Kazakhstan. If any case, that result explain the dreadful bids. Being honests, no one inspired confidence. Both countries have serious issues to human rights, censorship, enviromental damage and clear inestability. It was like choosing Alien vs. Predator.

Congratulations, Beijing! Very close voting as expected. And this makes three consecutive Olympics practically in the same time zone. I guess this rules Asia and Oceania out until 2034/2036 at the very least.

Not even the Russian majority couldn't help Kazakhstan. If any case, that result explain the dreadful bids. Being honests, no one inspired confidence. Both countries have serious issues to human rights, censorship, enviromental damage and clear inestability. It was like choosing Alien vs. Predator.

Archived