128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the IOC clearly decided against its own Agenda 2020, for a city (or rather two) which will have to spend a loooooot more than currently calculated, in an artificial surrounding with artificial snow. I'm really gutted. Money and influence have won yet again. Now they'll get even less bids for future Olympic Games. Well done, IOC! Not.

I'm happy that Beijing wins it makes a logical sence...

If you find building most venues from scratch, using tons of artificial snow in an already damaged environment and a lack of winter sports tradition "logical", then so be it.

Anything wanna say, guys?

Yeah it's not a surprise. Just very sad that the IOC is rewarding a nation that lied about their 2008 legacies, poison the environment, abuse and persecute innocent people, have venues from 2008 wasting away with no legacy. People forcefully moved and hundreds of millions still malnourished whilst Beijing hosts the Olympics wasting money on fake snow.

Well, Almaty isn't exactly the field game.

Again, it's confirmed: "Final presentations don't make the deal. They can help you but they aren't miraculous". Also, from the previous post saying Almaty could have beaten an european contender for just the presentation, if Almaty couldn't beat a dreadful Beijing, Almaty hasn't any chance with European contenders.

I only want to say, maybe some of you misunderstand 2020 Agenda and also misunderstand Beijing bid...so, enjoy the end.

I don't think so that I misunderstood the Agenda. What is sustainable about, for instance, building a luge track in a nation that has no luge tradition whatsoever?

Wow, while I'm not altogether surprised, I thought Almaty might just have a shot at it. They're presentation and details were actually far superior to Beijing. Beijing's Olympic Park has been left in a state of disrepair and basically have to start from scratch.

I think this is shooting themselves in the foot and going against their own IOC 2020 agenda. Almaty would have had a real chance for implementation of this goal, but sadly now that's not going to happen.

The human rights cases in Bejing are appalling, the pollution factor is just downright ghastly. I think in the long run they will pull off the games ok but this just goes to show you that money, arrogance, and influence will win out every time with the IOC, I'm not surprised.

Archived