128th IOC Session Olympic Bid Live Chat - Discuss 2020 YOG and 2022 Olympic Games Bid presentations here

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the key problem with Beijing's presentation today (at least for me, and probably for a lot of others around here)... Jawnbc called the Chinese Premier's message "passionless" and that is spot on, not just for the premier's message but for the entire presentation. Contrast that to fourteen years ago when Beijing was bidding for the 2008 SOG, where their drive and determination was palpable. This was uninspiring and lifeless in comparison.

Maybe I'm just too caught up in hoping that Almaty wins. I like different. I like new. I think that Central Asia is a fascinating place and would love to visit there, even if it's just through my television set for two weeks in February 2022. China, especially Beijing, is really "been there, done that" proposition.

Central Asia is amazing- it has been a pivotal region of world history, especially in times of the Silk Road. Merv in Turkmenistan was thought to be the worlds biggest city a 100 years ago.. I have travelled widely through the region and highly recommend it!

Beijing: entitled

Almaty: aspirant

Beijing: we speak Chinese

Almaty: we speak English, sort of. But we make an effort

Beijing: Our grande fromage is too busy to come, but he sends you the following passionless message.

Almaty: Here is our nominal head of government. Nominal rather than actual, mind you.

Beijing: Basketball player because...why?

Almaty: current medallist, plus youth medallist.

I can't see how Beijing could win this. I really can't. In fact, if it were Almaty versus any of the Europeans except Oslo, I could see Almaty still in with a chance after their presentation.

U really didn't c 2 Olympic champion in this team...

Of course I did. But they didn't start with the OWG champions...which is baffling, given the number of Chinese OWG gold medallists from which to choose.

Kazakhstan started with their highest profile Olympic medallist. And told his story. We didn't get anything like that from Yang Yang or Li Nina.

U really didn't c 2 Olympic champion in this team...

After 2018 and 2020 race, did people still thinking the presentations are breaking/making of the voting process? It could help with some doubters, but most of the IOC voters have the conceived idea of which one is voting. I can bet $10 bucks 90% of the IOC members have their favorite before entering in the hall.

Passion superficial is not important, even useless for wise IOC members.

They have done a lot of works with the bid reports. They want certain facts and details about the bid to make the games safe and outstanding in future..so...

Of course I did. But they didn't start with the OWG champions...which is baffling, given the number of Chinese OWG gold medallists from which to choose.

Kazakhstan started with their highest profile Olympic medallist. And told his story. We didn't get anything like that from Yang Yang or Li Nina.

Alright, I have to tell u, maybe it's not so important point which really help one bid city win or not.

So if u just because this point and make your guess, I think it's a little superficial.

Maybe I'm just too caught up in hoping that Almaty wins. I like different. I like new. I think that Central Asia is a fascinating place and would love to visit there, even if it's just through my television set for two weeks in February 2022. China, especially Beijing, is really "been there, done that" proposition.

But where do the IOC TOP sponsors want to go?! That will play a factor if they're not gonna be making anything on their investments.

I like new & different as well. But this ain't it. Doha & Havana would be new & different too, but I don't see the IOC running over there anytime soon.

Here's the key problem with Beijing's presentation today. Contrast that to fourteen years ago when Beijing was bidding for the 2008 SOG, where their drive and determination was palpable. This was uninspiring and lifeless in comparison.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. I remember people saying that about the South Koreans with their 2018 final presentation. Asians, in general, seem to have a low-key demeanor (at least compared to Westerners anyway) most of the time, so it's hard to interpret how they could be preceiving things. And then add the cultural differences, & it then becomes even more perplexing.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. I remember people saying that about the South Koreans with their 2018 final presentation. Asians, in general, seem to have a low-key demeanor (at least compared to Westerners anyway) most of the time, so it's hard to interpret how they could be preceiving things. And then add the cultural differences, & it then becomes even more perplexing.

Yes you are right. In east asian it is quite inappropriate to express your emotion too strong. The emotion is normally presented by different word choice not by the pitch, tone or body language.

Yes you are right. In east asian it is quite inappropriate to express your emotion too strong. The emotion is normally presented by different word choice not by the pitch, tone or body language.

Hi, Pui, long time haven't see u here, what do u think about Beijing bid?

But where do the IOC TOP sponsors want to go?! That will play a factor if they're not gonna be making anything on their investments.

I like new & different as well. But this ain't it. Doha & Havana would be new & different too, but I don't see the IOC running over there anytime soon.

Can't agree more!

OK, just caught up with the replay of Beijing. Nice team color uniform but a very STIFF presentation and you just don't want to make the heads of already the most populous nation swell again. Almaty was a fresher show; they showed diversity of their population vs. a GODLESS China!!

OK, maybe Almaty by 8 -- which will be Almaty's magic number now; not China's.

To think a Reno-Tahoe or Salt Lake team would've been there...were it not for the misguided IDIOTS at the USOC!! Total numbnuts!!

After 2018 and 2020 race, did people still thinking the presentations are breaking/making of the voting process? It could help with some doubters, but most of the IOC voters have the conceived idea of which one is voting. I can bet $10 bucks 90% of the IOC members have their favorite before entering in the hall.

That may be the case but if it's a close vote that 10% could be HUGE! We've seen some close votes over the years.

Is Dasani water a sponsor. Bottle labels are pretty blatantly pointed forward...

*sponsor?

Obviously. But aside from citizens of Almaty & Beijing, there are probably max, 5,000 other people elsewhere on this planet and others, watching this -- so that's not a really large market for the millions Coke (they own the Dasani brand) paid.

I'm going to bed now.

That may be the case but if it's a close vote that 10% could be HUGE! We've seen some close votes over the years.

Still, in that case confirms the theory. The final presentation can help you to some votes but not the full victory -Especially if this is a close race with just few votes of difference-, which was mentioned previously.

Why suspend the broadcast for the test vote and resume for the real one? Perhaps not to confuse world media who might be simulcasting?

like really. I missed the presentations so I'll have to watch that before the final announcements. I'm saying Beijing will crush Almaty by 10 or 20 votes.

In any case, it's not a big deal considering the options. It would be like a South Park episode related to an election. The choices aren't exactly encouraging to support anyway.

funny you should mention that...I was watching South Park before this.

10 votes wouldn't really be "crushing"...in fact I'd expect most experts to be surprised by that result.

Well I'm going to call 65 votes Beijing.

Archived