57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the USOC

• still bid (with LA presumably)?
    • NOT bid, sit this one out? and
    • just prepare for Winter 2026?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol it's so hilarious when people think that hosting a winter olympic games affects the chances of a city in the same country from getting a Summer Olympic Games.

You mean the same way when people think that hosting a Summer Olympics Games effects the chances of a city in the same country from getting a Winter Olympics Games? Like Beijing?! Yeah, that's "so hilarious"! :-D

What's even much more hilarious are the people that say London 2012 would effect Paris' 2024 chances. Like really? Two totally seperate countries twelve years apart! C'mon now! :rolleyes:

You mean the same way when people think that hosting a Summer Olympics Games effects the chances of a city in the same country from getting a Winter Olympics Games? Like Beijing?! Yeah, that's "so hilarious"! :-D

What's even much more hilarious are the people that say London 2012 would effect Paris' 2024 chances. Like really? Two totally seperate countries twelve years apart! C'mon now! :rolleyes:

And I agree with both of these as well I myself have never said that Paris shouldn't get it just because London just had it in 2012. And if for some ungodly reason I did say it, I must have said it jokingly.

And my comment about Beijing previously hosting being a negative towards their bid for another games has nothing to do with them actually being called hosts, it has something to do with the lack of improving and bringing change to major issues that they themselves even promised to do something about with human rights and pollution.

Sit it out. Weren't going to win anyway.

Apparently, to the IOC, the US sitting out is not an option:

Bach is determined to have a strong candidate from the U.S., which hasn't hosted a Summer Games since Atlanta in 1996. "For us the situation has not changed," he said. "We had a commitment from USOC for an Olympic candidature for 2024. We have this commitment. We're sure that USOC will deliver on this commitment, and that we will have on the 15th of September, a bid from the United States."

I hope the us sits out......especially after Bach's comments which almost sound demanding.

"for us the situation has not changed", he said........really?

Didn't he also say he just stopped trying to follow what was going on in Boston...........so if a bidding city has bumps and problems we know the IOC president will not take time to understand what's up........isn't every bid gonna have problems? I mean I know Boston was

Feeling messy but he really should not have said that.....but I'm glad he did.....the US has no chance unless other cities start dropping like flies due to all the possible issues that all have.....not likely but I have an idea some are gonna drop.......maybe the front runner.

And I agree with both of these as well I myself have never said that Paris shouldn't get it just because London just had it in 2012. And if for some ungodly reason I did say it, I must have said it jokingly.

I didn't say that you did. But a few people around here have already spewed that silly notion. The last on on the third post of the previous page of this thread.

However, it's been discussed before that a country wanting to land a Summer Olympics would be hindered moreso if they already hosted a recent Winter Olympics than the other way around. As usual, considering the circumstance & who the competition is, I wouldn't say that it's "so hilarious" to point that out when deliberating all of the factors. It's definitely an aspect that would be considered when trying to differentiate the competition.

I hope the us sits out......especially after Bach's comments which almost sound demanding.

Didn't he also say he just stopped trying to follow what was going on in Boston...........so if a bidding city has bumps and problems we know the IOC president will not take time to understand what's up........isn't every bid gonna have problems? I mean I know Boston was

Feeling messy but he really should not have said that.....but I'm glad he did.....the US has no chance unless other cities start dropping like flies due to all the possible issues that all have.....not likely but I have an idea some are gonna drop.......maybe the front runner.

His comments weren't demanding, they were honest. I just took it as him saying "Figure out you sh*t before you come to the IOC." Boston 2024 was highly confusing to follow and it isn't for the IOC president to monitor domestic bids so closely before they even officially bid. I agree with him when he says it's not the IOC's job to medal domestically.

I don't want to defend itself the IOC, but let's be honests, this comment is too condescendant and too biased. First of all, if there's any major guilty in this mess is Boston 2024 team (Not only they lied to the IOC, they also lied to the USOC and even to the population), next the USOC had some guilt (Who they had knowledge about the situation later, but instead making changes or actions to solve the situation or cut the problem, they left the boat sinking in a terrible thing).

Let's put an example paul. You're the person delegated to give a college scholarship to an excellent student. You have 5 candidates and then you are making the interview. One of these students lied about the interview and papers and before you can check, the castle falls for their actions. Who's the guilty in this situation?

The 2012 NYC bid, which had problems, took 10 years to make a big effort, checking the third parties of the game and communicate the project to the audience related to the project. Boston, on the other hand, only made a bid in a year, without asking some institutions or informing the situation (Harvard didn't knew the plans and MTI only knew about some "suggestion"). That's not responsable or serious for a team to plan a big event.

I don't want to defend itself the IOC, but let's be honests, this comment is too condescendant and too biased. First of all, if there's any major guilty in this mess is Boston 2024 team (Not only they lied to the IOC, they also lied to the USOC and even to the population), next the USOC had some guilt (Who they had knowledge about the situation later, but instead making changes or actions to solve the situation or cut the problem, they left the boat sinking in a terrible thing).

I disagree. It's the whole USOC and the IOC's system that is flawed. They want cities to turn over their first born BEFORE the infant is even born -- and expect NO protest from them. Sure, you can do with North Korea, Azerbaijian and the like. Haven't they learned? No western country/city is willing to dance to their terms sight unseen. Boston played out its brief life with all integrity and by staying within the confines the USOC dictated on them. After Denver 1976, you'd think the USOC, of all parties, should've learned that the Olympic wheel has been reinvented.

Did you have a bad experience in Paris or something, since you're always quite adamant to stick the fly in the ointment when it comes to it. And/or is it because when Durban is discussed on these boards, many people here (although I'm certainly not one of them) down play it's chances simply because it's not South Africa's premier city.

I prefer Rome myself. Seems more majestic & romantic to me. But Paris is still the second most visited city in the world by international tourists, right behind London. So not too shabby I say, for a 'terribly, over-hyped city'.

I am well versed with Paris. I like it as a city in many ways. However through the lens of an Olympics I am no fan of Paris handling one sufficiently. And actually Bangkok is the second most visited city in the world after London.

My view on Paris is simply based on the opinion that some cities from design and atmosphere are suited to a major sporting focused event and some are not. I don't buy the idea that because it is one of the world's leading cities its therefore defacto suited to this event. Some are suited, others are not. I believe from the cities on offer Hamburg presents the best case on info seen so far. Others will disagree because we all view the event through differing lens about what makes an Olympics great or a great city.

As for the Durban jab, I could not care less if some people believe it should be the more well known Cape Town, well known does not make a city suitable or desirable from an event handling perspective. It has other things that are its strengths and it should pkay to them for its future oath, as it is doing.

Okay, so Bangkok is the third most vistited city in the world. Paris is still third BTW, which if we wanna split hairs even further, still makes it the second most visited European city in the world. So still very significant & not as trivial as you're trying to make it.

So you're of the 'opinion' that Paris is not suited well for an Olympic Games for whatever personal reasons you have. Some have said that about New York City as well. Though, many, many others are of the opinion that the U.S. should really try to get them on board because they think it is the only city capable of landing the Games for this country. Some people have said that about Tokyo too (it's too crowded, too big to host an Olympics, etc, etc), but they're still hosting 2020 nontheless. I agree to a point that some cities don't have to be the most prominent, but that all depends on the dynamics of any given race to determine whether or not those choices would be appropriate or not at that time. The U.S., for example, is not going to win with another Atlanta ever again. That was an anamoly of all anamolies.

As for Hamburg, you're right. Many others do disagree about them because we all do indeed view what would make a great Olympic host differently. However, the majority view is that is does have to be an A-class city most of the time. And in this race there's the option now to go with one of the world's great cities (which incidently, in the aspect of agenda 2020, Paris is more inline with that than Hamburg is. And as a matter of fact, would have to do more construction than Paris & even Durban. So how in the world could you say that Paris would not be well suited other than your own personal bias). That doesn't make the rest of us anymore right or wrong than you, though. No one is asking you to "buy" anything. The general consensus, though, (whether right or wrong, or whether you 'buy' it or not) is that the IOC does indeed seem to have a 'defacto' trend in choosing the world's most leading cities for their little sports party. And I don't think this trend is going to end anytime soon.

As for Durban, it wasn't a "jab" (unlike the little snarky Paris one). Like I said, I'm of the opinion that thinks they are the most suited city in South Africa for many of the reasons that many of us have discussed here already before. Like I've also said before too, once the IOC is ready to go to Africa it's going to be much more about the continent than it's going to be about the city they choose. But that is a dynamic unique to only Africa & no one else. Because again, countries like the U.S. & ones in Europe aren't going to be able to get away with their B & C class cities anymore. Not when the IOC knows (& expects) that they can do (much) better than that.

And Paris, not being suited for Olympics, what can I say.... So, an Olympic city has to be one of the most visited cities in the world and yet not be a big megalopole that's too busy and too crowded to host. Hmmm...please explain.

LA equals Paris. Really? How so? And yes, like pointed FYI, how about Paris last hosted in 1924 and LA in 1984. Do you really think out of those 2 the IOC would go for LA, even with the mess that's been the whole 2024 US bid? You should know by know it is very unwise to trust any thing that an IOC president says. Of course he want the US to bid. He wants as many countries as possible to bid, to make it to candidate city. Like in the old days, the IOC wants 6 or 7 candidate cities, not 2 or 3 (2020, 2022...).

And, last but not least, though I know the IOC doesn't owe ANYTHING to France, I don't think it would be wise for the IOC to sit on a Paris bid for the fourth time. Historically speaking...I know most of you won't agree with me, but don't forget that there's a reason why the French Language is an offfical Olympic Language.

"Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenus à la cérémonie d'ouverture des XXXIe Olympiades, les Jeux de Rio 2016!" :)

But, oh, before you realease your fiercy dogs on me, I do know as well the IOC doesn't owe us sh**t (like I said) and that they'd do absolutely fine without France. But Olympics without France, come on.... (Oh I know, arrogance, bla bla bla, but I can't help it, I'm f**king French! ;))

When you go to Olympics, you might manage to get tickets for a few sport events, but not a lot, cause that's the way it is (for MOST people), so it's also nice to visit a bit of the city. I'm pretty sure it would be nicer to visit Paris during free time than, let's say, Atlanta...(or even Los Angeles). Arrogance ²? :o

It's a good question. If I were the USOC, I would stop the race now. But, I'm not...

I'm pretty sure that the 2024's olympic race is a competition for Europe. Americas have 2016 and Asia 2020. It's time to return in Europe. And Paris is the better choice for the IOC. World-Class city, International venues and it's Paris, you know...and it's not arrogance too...I'm not french.

Hamburg? Seriously? Who wants to go to this boring city? There is absolutely nothing to see and to do there. I have been in Hamburg one time and I can't imagine olympics in this city. The IOC voters want a city with something to do after 8pm...Not in Hamburg...

Budapest is the good alternative, but not a potential winner for me. Hungary isn't a strong economic leader and the IOC could have many trouble and bad suprises from 2017 to 2024...But this city is a strong runner.

Rome? 16 years after Torino 2006? Not sure... Ok, it's Rome, it's another wonderful city, with international venues. The backup of the italian government is strong...but, the economic situation of the city is worse than others in the race...Not a good point for the IOC.

It's a good question. If I were the USOC, I would stop the race now. But, I'm not...

I'm pretty sure that the 2024's olympic race is a competition for Europe. Americas have 2016 and Asia 2020. It's time to return in Europe. And Paris is the better choice for the IOC. World-Class city, International venues and it's Paris, you know...and it's not arrogance too...I'm not french.

Hamburg? Seriously? Who wants to go to this boring city? There is absolutely nothing to see and to do there. I have been in Hamburg one time and I can't imagine olympics in this city. The IOC voters want a city with something to do after 8pm...Not in Hamburg...

Budapest is the good alternative, but not a potential winner for me. Hungary isn't a strong economic leader and the IOC could have many trouble and bad suprises from 2017 to 2024...But this city is a strong runner.

Rome? 16 years after Torino 2006? Not sure... Ok, it's Rome, it's another wonderful city, with international venues. The backup of the italian government is strong...but, the economic situation of the city is worse than any other city in this race...Not a good point for the IOC.

Rome? 16 years after Torino 2006? Not sure... Ok, it's Rome, it's another wonderful city, with international venues. The backup of the italian government is strong...but, the economic situation of the city is worse than any other city in this race...Not a good point for the IOC.

and it's not arrogance too...I'm not french.

Yes but you're from Montreal Saison Margueritte, the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world. You may not be French but you live in a providence that has strong ties to the French nation. But that's ok.

Wasn't there a report somewhere that said an Olympic games doesn't significantly increase any visitors to local attractions, and in some cases their attendance actually decreases during those times? People who flock to a city for the Olympic games jampacks their schedule that revolves around the games and barely makes any time into going to see local attractions. It was evident with the Pan American Games a few members on here did that.

Yes but you're from Montreal Saison Margueritte, the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world. You may not be French but you live in a providence that has strong ties to the French nation. But that's ok.

Wasn't there a report somewhere that said an Olympic games doesn't significantly increase any visitors to local attractions, and in some cases their attendance actually decreases during those times? People who flock to a city for the Olympic games jampacks their schedule that revolves around the games and barely makes any time into going to see local attractions. It was evident with the Pan American Games a few members on here did that.

Montreal Saison Margueritte??? Really? How ridiculous is you comment...

You have the right to prefer boring Hamburg, but for the good reasons...Not just to be silly with Paris and Paris bid's fans...

Montreal Saison Margueritte??? Really? How ridiculous is you comment...

You have the right to prefer boring Hamburg, but for the good reasons...Not just to be silly with Paris and Paris bid's fans...

Sorry, I forgot to add a comma between Montreal and Saison Margeritte. It's a joke that comes from this YouTube show Most Popular Girls In School where there's a running joke that this crazy girl believes this French girl is really from Montreal. You saying you're from Montreal triggered a memory from that show. Here's the episode if you wish to watch it.

Yes... that's exactly what happens for the SOG.

I believe from the cities on offer Hamburg presents the best case on info seen so far. Others will disagree because we all view the event through differing lens about what makes an Olympics great or a great city.

And disagree we shall! Talk about a contrast of opinions on Hamburg lmfao!! :-D :-P

:-D

Archived