pablum

Potential 2026 and 2028 bids

Somehow I like the idea of Lyon WOG in the future.

Yes, this seems to be more the modern model - Larger cities with sporting/hotel/conference etc facilities with alpine second hub. Fits with the Agenda 2020 ideas (as if the IOC cares, see Beijing 2022).

Fits with the Agenda 2020 ideas (as if the IOC cares, see Beijing 2022).

Right - you're making it sound as if Beijing won at the expense of Oslo (or like in this case, Lyon). Well, they didn't. So I would hardly criticize the IOC in that respect, only in the sense of their extravagant misguidance of what abysmal circumstances brought them to select Beijing in the end.

Exactly. Even with the Agenda 2020, the IOC has no choice but to choose Beijing, instead of Almaty. The IOC made the right choice not choosing Almaty.

Exactly. Even with the Agenda 2020, the IOC has no choice but to choose Beijing, instead of Almaty. The IOC made the right choice not choosing Almaty.

Wait, you're back?!?! And the IOC did have a choice, it's just that 4 IOC members thought it was a safer option to choose Beijing, instead of Almaty, despite Almaty having a technically superior bid.

44 to 40 votes proved it. Otherwise, Beijing's margin would have been far greater. Had more IOC members seen Almaty first at hand, then it could have easily have been Almaty winning, even by a landslide.

• Like 1

Had more IOC members seen Almaty first at hand, then it could have easily have been Almaty winning, even by a landslide.

Ya know, I've seen this being floated around here by the ones that really wanted to see Almaty win, but what really makes you think that this would've made any difference in the result, especially by a "landslide"? You're assuming that virtually everyone would've liked it. Maybe there also would've been IOC members that would've been turned off by Almaty instead. Would seeing a ski-jump from the Ritz Carlton really been such a deal-clencher. I seriously doubt it. Yeah, their bid on paper appeared more 'technically superior', however the IOC's own evaluation team still pinpointed the many areas that Almaty still lacked in.

Not to mention, for PyeongChang being such an unknown, especially against a remarkably well-known & well-liked city like Munich at the foothills of the Alps, PyeongChang still managed to take 2018 by a 'landslide'. So I'll still take the "well, if IOC members were able to see Almaty first-hand, the result would've been different" - for the time being, with a grain of salt.

Wait, you're back?!?! And the IOC did have a choice, it's just that 4 IOC members thought it was a safer option to choose Beijing, instead of Almaty, despite Almaty having a technically superior bid.

44 to 40 votes proved it. Otherwise, Beijing's margin would have been far greater. Had more IOC members seen Almaty first at hand, then it could have easily have been Almaty winning, even by a landslide.

Ya know, I've seen this being floated around here by the ones that really wanted to see Almaty win, but what really makes you think that this would've made any difference in the result, especially by a "landslide"? You're assuming that virtually everyone would've liked it. Maybe there also would've been IOC members that would've been turned off by Almaty instead. Would seeing a ski-jump from the Ritz Carlton really been such a deal-clencher. I seriously doubt it. Yeah, their bid on paper appeared more 'technically superior', however the IOC's own evaluation team still pinpointed the many areas that Almaty still lacked in.

Not to mention, for PyeongChang being such an unknown, especially against a remarkably well-known & well-liked city like Munich at the foothills of the Alps, PyeongChang still managed to take 2018 by a 'landslide'. So I'll still take the "well, if IOC members were able to see Almaty first-hand, the result would've been different" - for the time being, with a grain of salt.

You know what else could have easily happened? Beijing still winning.

I've heard that logic before (and not just here, but elsewhere) that not being able to see the city might have hampered Almaty, especially in comparison to Beijing, a city they're already familiar with. Not sure how much I buy into the theory that they would have seen this wonderful Winter setting and that would have done the trick. There's something to be said about a major cosmopolitan city that perhaps some of these IOC bigwigs would have been enticed by.

Either way, the fact that Almaty got this close says that they had more support than many of us here were willing to give them credit for. But I agree with FYI.. definitely a stretch to say it could have "easily" been an Almaty landslide.

Almaty didn't have a better bid. Beijing won. End of, no excuses. You can't live on what if, but on what happened. Beijing won and Beijing had the better bid over Almaty.

Almaty didn't have a better bid. Beijing won. End of, no excuses. You can't live on what if, but on what happened. Beijing won and Beijing had the better bid over Almaty.

Woo. Rather matter of fact there.

Having a conversation with you is like having a conversation with this donkey

• Like 4

Having a conversation with you is like having a conversation with this donkey

How? How can you agree with LD that Almaty had the better bid, when Beijing won? I'm just saying, you can't live on what if's, but on what happened.

How? How can you agree with LD that Almaty had the better bid, when Beijing won? I'm just saying, you can't live on what if's, but on what happened.

Latin wasn't disagreeing with you about Almaty/Beijing. But your incessant need to gloat about it and rub it in his face is the problem. We'd be more impressed if you had picked Beijing from the start. But no, you only made them your pick once Oslo dropped out of the running. There's no need to constantly remind people of what side you were on and what side they were on. Yes, that makes you something of a stubborn donkey.

• Like 4

Latin wasn't disagreeing with you about Almaty/Beijing. But your incessant need to gloat about it and rub it in his face is the problem. We'd be more impressed if you had picked Beijing from the start. But no, you only made them your pick once Oslo dropped out of the running. There's no need to constantly remind people of what side you were on and what side they were on. Yes, that makes you something of a stubborn donkey.

Ok fair enough, I kept on about it a lot. I can't argue with that. Sorry.

Also, if Oslo kept their bid and lost, then fair enough. But they left on their own choice, not because they lost.

Nobody in Europe will want to bid for 2026, maybe USA if they lose 2024. We won't see WoG in Europe before a long time, IOC has killed WoG with Sotchi, Peyongchang and Beijing.

In 2028 it will depend 2024, If a European city wins it will be in USA, if not it will be in Europe.

I think cities also saw from 2022 that ya gotta be in it to win it.........but to be honest the Olympics luster has sorta worn off in recent years, it seems less meaningful or important. Hosts don't seem to be about welcoming the world just about trying to gain status, political leverage and make money for corrupt partners and politicians on the backs of the citizens. I still feel LA should not bid but that train left the station....so at least I'll get to see some cool graphics from a glamorous city with big bucks and creative cool.

Switzerland makes 1st move for 2026 Winter Olympic bid

BERN, Switzerland (AP) - Switzerland has taken the first step toward bidding for the 2026 Winter Olympics, three years after Swiss voters rejected a proposed 2022 bid in a referendum.

The Swiss Olympic committee says national sports bodies voted Friday to launch the 2026 bid process.

Cities and regions will be invited to an April 20 meeting in Lausanne.

The Olympic committee says sports bodies will decide by September 2017 which city to put forward. That will be after a referendum is held in the canton, or state, of the proposed candidate.

In 2013, a proposed bid for the 2022 games from St. Moritz and Davos was dropped after it was turned down in a referendum.

Swiss Olympic president Joerg Schild says "mistakes made in the past must not be repeated."

Switzerland last hosted the Winter Games in 1948 in St. Moritz.

AP

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=J8Ma1FRd

The Swiss Olympic Committee has wanted to bid for a while now, trouble is, the people of Switzerland generally do not.

LOLno.gif

Quebec can be forgiven for trying to work with Calgary or Vancouver to host the ski jumping and sliding track events to avoid having to build those venues, but NOT if it wants to move the downhill event because there's no suitable mountain that is in close proximity to the city. A ski resort, or multiple ski resorts, either within the host city or at a convenient distance to the city that can host all alpine skiing events (downhill, slalom, super-g, combined, giant slalom) should be one of the requirements of a winter Olympics bid. There are multiple athletes that compete in multiple alpine skiing events and having to travel by plane from one event to another is extremely inconvenient for them. Let's not forget, the whole point of these games is FOR the athletes, NOT the host city.

So Quebec City needs to give up their dreams on ever hosting a Winter Olympic games unless Le Massif miraculously grows taller. Let Calgary and Vancouver alternate on being the Canadian hosts of the Winter Olympics. Calgary really should consider putting in a bid for 2026.

LOLno.gif

Quebec can be forgiven for trying to work with Calgary or Vancouver to host the ski jumping and sliding track events to avoid having to build those venues, but NOT if it wants to move the downhill event because there's no suitable mountain that is in close proximity to the city. A ski resort, or multiple ski resorts, either within the host city or at a convenient distance to the city that can host all alpine skiing events (downhill, slalom, super-g, combined, giant slalom) should be one of the requirements of a winter Olympics bid. There are multiple athletes that compete in multiple alpine skiing events and having to travel by plane from one event to another is extremely inconvenient for them. Let's not forget, the whole point of these games is FOR the athletes, NOT the host city.

So Quebec City needs to give up their dreams on ever hosting a Winter Olympic games unless Le Massif miraculously grows taller. Let Calgary and Vancouver alternate on being the Canadian hosts of the Winter Olympics. Calgary really should consider putting in a bid for 2026.

The big news today in Montreal,

In my opinion, Quebec City have absolutelly no chance to get Winter Olympic Cames.

They should concentrate their effort to get a NHL concession back instead.

A joint with Whistler or Calgary ? with 5000 km or 4000km distance ?. So stupid idea.

The idea of making a joint Montreal-Lake Placid make more sense (only two hours drive)

But I'm sure a lot of people in Montreal will object having bad memories of the 1976 $ disaster