Potential 2026 and 2028 bids

No reason why Quebec City can't host with a "sprint downhill". Remember that FIS has approved Le Massif for the other disciplines. Also, a sliding centre could replace the one in Lake Placid as the east coast training centre for Americans and Canadians.

The issue isn't whether Quebec City could host most of the events in a winter Olympic games. It's why those other communities should work with Quebec City to help it with the events it can't host, why Canada should prefer Quebec City over Calgary, why the IOC should choose such a bid, and most importantly of all why Quebec should want to build stuff like a bobsledding track after what happened in 1976.

Seattle could theoretically host if it broke up the mountain events among Stevens Pass (136 km away), Crystal Mountain (131 km away), and Snoqualmie Pass (85 km away) and then spent a lot of money on venues it built after clearing some land in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. But it would be really dumb and neither the people here or the IOC want to deal with that kind of bid when the USA can host using Salt Lake City or the Northeast using Lake Placid.

I can't understand the logic of a summer games bid from Ontario and a winter games bid from Quebec just for the sake of sharing things (somewhat) evenly throughout the provinces. If Quebec wants to host the IOC again, it can bid using Montreal's existing venues and let Calgary go for the winter games.

Edited by Nacre

No reason why Quebec City can't host with a "sprint downhill". Remember that FIS has approved Le Massif for the other disciplines. Also, a sliding centre could replace the one in Lake Placid as the east coast training centre for Americans and Canadians.

This is the Olympics, not an alpine skiing world cup stop. The IOC is not going to accept a bid that involves a sprint downhill instead of a regular downhill if it doesn't have to. They might OK a Quebec bid for insurance purposes in case we have another repeat of 2022 and a lot of better viable candidates decide to drop like flies again. But even that could be a longshot. And it's even less likely that the IOC would even consider a Quebec bid if they're still deadset on the idea of sharing events with Calgary or Whistler, or even Lake Placid when each of those cities could put in a better, more viable bid all on their own. Lake Placid might have to get creative and bid jointly with a city like Albany, but I would bet on an Albany/Lake Placid bid over a Quebec/Calgary/Whistler bid.

Let them host the youth olympic games. No one cares about it, and they'll probably be willing to accept a sprint downhill rather than a regular downhill event.

Actually just checked the first 2 Winter YOG, and no downhill! So there you go Quebec! Happy bidding on the 2024 Winter YOG!

This is the Olympics, not an alpine skiing world cup stop. The IOC is not going to accept a bid that involves a sprint downhill instead of a regular downhill if it doesn't have to. They might OK a Quebec bid for insurance purposes in case we have another repeat of 2022 and a lot of better viable candidates decide to drop like flies again. But even that could be a longshot. And it's even less likely that the IOC would even consider a Quebec bid if they're still deadset on the idea of sharing events with Calgary or Whistler, or even Lake Placid when each of those cities could put in a better, more viable bid all on their own. Lake Placid might have to get creative and bid jointly with a city like Albany, but I would bet on an Albany/Lake Placid bid over a Quebec/Calgary/Whistler bid.

Let them host the youth olympic games. No one cares about it, and they'll probably be willing to accept a sprint downhill rather than a regular downhill event.

Actually just checked the first 2 Winter YOG, and no downhill! So there you go Quebec! Happy bidding on the 2024 Winter YOG!

2025*

2025*

Thanks for that correction. I have forgotten that they decided to move it to the odd-number years. It would have been better if they moved it the odd years that came AFTER the real olympics so that these wouldn't coincide the same year as the Pan American games.

• Like 1

Thanks for that correction. I have forgotten that they decided to move it to the odd-number years. It would have been better if they moved it the odd years that came AFTER the real olympics so that these wouldn't coincide the same year as the Pan American games.

You would think they would consider something like that, but apparently that doesn't matter lol

But its probably because it allows young athletes 3 years to qualify for the main thing.

Can I take that bet? You honestly believe there's actually a chance that Albany could host an Olympics? Or do you think that Quebec's chances at hosting are so minimal that you're just willing to throw any city out there?

Until Lake Placid, let alone freaking Albany, shows any sort of interest in hosting an Olympics (and they won't because it's an amazingly stupid idea), that by default puts them a shade below Quebec which at least is exploring the possibility. Not to mention that if the US does put up a city for a Winter Olympic bid, there are likely other options out there. Canada may or may not be in a similar position as the United States where their best option may be a former bid city, although I think a YOG may not be such a bad idea for a city like Quebec, especially if the IOC wants to hold it somewhere other than Europe. That I could see happening. Lake Placid hosting anything more than a World Cup stop I can't see. I know you're just spitballing ideas here, but it's beyond laughable to suggest Albany just because it happens the closest city that's not across an international border.

Can I take that bet? You honestly believe there's actually a chance that Albany could host an Olympics? Or do you think that Quebec's chances at hosting are so minimal that you're just willing to throw any city out there?

Until Lake Placid, let alone freaking Albany, shows any sort of interest in hosting an Olympics (and they won't because it's an amazingly stupid idea), that by default puts them a shade below Quebec which at least is exploring the possibility. Not to mention that if the US does put up a city for a Winter Olympic bid, there are likely other options out there. Canada may or may not be in a similar position as the United States where their best option may be a former bid city, although I think a YOG may not be such a bad idea for a city like Quebec, especially if the IOC wants to hold it somewhere other than Europe. That I could see happening. Lake Placid hosting anything more than a World Cup stop I can't see. I know you're just spitballing ideas here, but it's beyond laughable to suggest Albany just because it happens the closest city that's not across an international border.

Could Albany host an Olympic games using venues of Lake Placid as well as using the surrounding metropolitan area? Yes I believe it could. Can it beat a Quebec bid that will be heavily dependent on the IOC being okay with allowing the sliding track, ski jump and downhill skiing events held hundreds, if not thousands of miles away or even be ok with them having a bitch, I mean sprint downhill skiing event instead a full-length event? Absolutely considering Lake Placid already has a sliding track, ski jump hills and a tall enough mountain that it doesn't need to suggest anything as ridiculous as a Quebec bid is trying to do now.

But do I believe Albany would ever actually consider putting in a WOG bid utilizing the venues and areas in Lake Placid as well as the rest of the metropolitan area in that city? Of course not. I know what I suggest is purely speculative, but I do believe if Albany ever did consider putting forth a bid and it turns into a showdown between them and a Quebec bid with the ridiculous ideas they think the IOC will let them get away with, Albany/Lake Placid stand a far better chance.

If there's anything the US knows how to do as far as Olympic Games go, it's making sure they turn a profit. And that is exactly what they did the last 2 Summer Olympic games and the last Winter Olympic games they hosted. And an Albany/Lake Placid bid would give the games a much more intimate feeling than a Quebec/Calgary/Whistler. It will probably be a very similar feeling like the Lillehammer games that are people are still speaking positively about even after all these years.

But yes in reality Albany/Lake Placid would never put in a bid when you have SLC who can easily host another games, or a city as hungry as Denver who I'm sure is more than willing to invest in finally getting a WOGs. At least Albany is smart enough to recognize that, Quebec isn't. When you already have two cities that have previously hosted WOGs and they both have pretty much all of the existing infrastructure from the games they hosted, why the hell does Quebec keep thinking they have a chance? They don't and they need to accept that they're the Doha of the WOGs. No I'm sorry that's not fair to Doha they probably have a far better chance of hosting a SOG than Quebec hosting a WOG lol

Could Albany host an Olympic games using venues of Lake Placid as well as using the surrounding metropolitan area? Yes I believe it could. Can it beat a Quebec bid that will be heavily dependent on the IOC being okay with allowing the sliding track, ski jump and downhill skiing events held hundreds, if not thousands of miles away or even be ok with them having a bitch, I mean sprint downhill skiing event instead a full-length event? Absolutely considering Lake Placid already has a sliding track, ski jump hills and a tall enough mountain that it doesn't need to suggest anything as ridiculous as a Quebec bid is trying to do now.

But do I believe Albany would ever actually consider putting in a WOG bid utilizing the venues and areas in Lake Placid as well as the rest of the metropolitan area in that city? Of course not. I know what I suggest is purely speculative, but I do believe if Albany ever did consider putting forth a bid and it turns into a showdown between them and a Quebec bid with the ridiculous ideas they think the IOC will let them get away with, Albany/Lake Placid stand a far better chance.

If there's anything the US knows how to do as far as Olympic Games go, it's making sure they turn a profit. And that is exactly what they did the last 2 Summer Olympic games and the last Winter Olympic games they hosted. And an Albany/Lake Placid bid would give the games a much more intimate feeling than a Quebec/Calgary/Whistler. It will probably be a very similar feeling like the Lillehammer games that are people are still speaking positively about even after all these years.

But yes in reality Albany/Lake Placid would never put in a bid when you have SLC who can easily host another games, or a city as hungry as Denver who I'm sure is more than willing to invest in finally getting a WOGs. At least Albany is smart enough to recognize that, Quebec isn't. When you already have two cities that have previously hosted WOGs and they both have pretty much all of the existing infrastructure from the games they hosted, why the hell does Quebec keep thinking they have a chance? They don't and they need to accept that they're the Doha of the WOGs. No I'm sorry that's not fair to Doha they probably have a far better chance of hosting a SOG than Quebec hosting a WOG lol

See, this is the problem I have with these types of hypothetical. You're jumping over the step where a city is actually interested in hosting an Olympics and/or would be selected by their NOC and measuring them up as if either of those are true and saying "yea, they could win." Except they can't unless they satisfy both of those 2 requirements. You do acknowledge that, but it's still ridiculous to bring them up. Albany has never shown interest in hosting an Olympics. And likely never will. So why pretend that they would? Because Lake Placid has a sliding track and a ski jump? I don't disagree that the notion of Quebec using Calgary and/or Whistler would never fly, but at least it's being discussed as a possibility. In the off chance no other city/country is interested, it's not impossible they could win by default. It's pretty darn impossible for Albany to win anything because there is no shot whatsoever they would even be interested and if they were, they'd have to convince the USOC to pick them. Which isn't happening. So I don't see the point in pretending like it could.

If we're talking about Olympic host cities, there is a pretty long list of cities that are capable of hosting an Olympics. From that group, there is a much smaller subset of cities that are capable of being selected to host an Olympics. Albany may or may not fall into the first category. They don't fall into the second category.

A couple of thoughts here.

I think Quebec is a non-starter even with Lake Placid. Why have a cross-border bid when Canada is perfectly capable of hosting an entire Olympics on its own. I would think Calgary is a much better bet for Canada's future WOG ambitions. Upgrades would be minimal and it would be a perfect opportunity to build the Flames a new arena. The only big problem I see with a future Calgary bid would be an Olympic Village, perhaps new student housing at the University of Calgary or Mount Royal University? And what about Toronto? I was actually surprised there's been as much buzz about a possible 2026 bid over a Toronto bid for 2028. Geopolitics would favor a 2028 bid assuming Paris wins 2024. Has Toronto more or less said no after not putting in a bid for 2024 right after a successful Pan Ams and has the COC more or less determined that a SOG are now too big and expensive for a Canadian city to host?

Albany is also a non-starter. They have one major arena, the TImes Union Center at 15,000. Albany has no need for a secondary 10,000 seat arena or a speed skating oval. If Lake Placid wants to be part of a future WOG bid then I'd say the options are either with New York or Buffalo. Yes the distance is big, but the IOC is at the point where concessions are going to have to be made unless they want to just award the WOG to countries run by one-party dictatorships. Had Stockholm stayed in the 2022 race I think they would've won in a landslide.

I wouldn't be surprised right now if the IOC is working back-door channels with Canada to get a Canadian city in the race for 2026. They need a safety net. I've posted before about the nightmare scenario of Almaty being the only bidder for 2026. Assuming Paris wins 2024, that eliminates a potential French bid. The Swiss have rejected bidding multiple times now. Can't see Munich giving it another go. Oslo? After the IOC lashed out at the city's withdrawal from 2022, I would imagine Norway wants nothing to do with the IOC? So who would be left? Italy? Sweden?

And what about Toronto? I was actually surprised there's been as much buzz about a possible 2026 bid over a Toronto bid for 2028. Geopolitics would favor a 2028 bid assuming Paris wins 2024. Has Toronto more or less said no after not putting in a bid for 2024 right after a successful Pan Ams and has the COC more or less determined that a SOG are now too big and expensive for a Canadian city to host?

1.) The venues they built for the Pan-American games are not suitable for the Olympics.

2.) There's no logical use for the athletics stadium. CFL and MLS teams don't need 60k seats.

3.) Canada is really, really good at winter sports and just OK at summer sports. Most Canadians want to see their teams win hockey gold rather than finish in the 20's at best in the summer games.

1.) The venues they built for the Pan-American games are not suitable for the Olympics.

2.) There's no logical use for the athletics stadium. CFL and MLS teams don't need 60k seats.

3.) Canada is really, really good at winter sports and just OK at summer sports. Most Canadians want to see their teams win hockey gold rather than finish in the 20's at best in the summer games.

Toronto has not closed the door for a future Olympic bid, but 2026 is ripe for the picking for Canada.

But that one option is a really good one. Calgary has all the required venues, and would only need to make some upgrades to facilities. They would also have a very high chance of winning, whereas Toronto would be a longshot even if they commit to wasting billions of Canadian dollars on unneeded sporting venues.

I don't think Canada should bid again so soon after 2010. A Windsor to Quebec City high speed rail line would be a better use of government money. But if Canada wants the Olympics again in the near future Calgary is the obvious host city.

Edited by Nacre

I'm pretty sure that Canada's options for 2026 are Calgary and, uh, nope, just Calgary.

What about Quebec? Sure they need to find some legacy for the potential white elephants of a ski jump and sliding center (The ski jump for the 2002 bid was supposed to be at 70,000. Perhaps this could serve as a new open air concert venue?), but the men's downhill issue simply requires Le Massif to be expanded by 30 or so meters in vertical.

What about Quebec? Sure they need to find some legacy for the potential white elephants of a ski jump and sliding center (The ski jump for the 2002 bid was supposed to be at 70,000. Perhaps this could serve as a new open air concert venue?), but the men's downhill issue simply requires Le Massif to be expanded by 30 or so meters in vertical.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?

Building another sledding track and jump facility in Canada is totally irresponsible. Even if Quebec needed a 70,000 seat outdoor concert venue (which, let's be clear, is doesn't) it sure as hell doesn't need one outside the city where the ski jump would be.

But the bigger issue is that mountain thing. Just add 30m to a mountain???? Really? And in such a way that you have a world class 800m course, complete with room for stands and all the other accoutrements of the Olympics?

Just... no. Why go through all that when you've got a perfect good option in Calgary?

Albany is also a non-starter. They have one major arena, the TImes Union Center at 15,000. Albany has no need for a secondary 10,000 seat arena or a speed skating oval. If Lake Placid wants to be part of a future WOG bid then I'd say the options are either with New York or Buffalo. Yes the distance is big, but the IOC is at the point where concessions are going to have to be made unless they want to just award the WOG to countries run by one-party dictatorships. Had Stockholm stayed in the 2022 race I think they would've won in a landslide.

It makes me sad for the state of this website that it needs to not only be pointed out but then explained why Albany, New York is not suitable for hosting an Olympics. That really should go without saying.

I wouldn't be surprised right now if the IOC is working back-door channels with Canada to get a Canadian city in the race for 2026. They need a safety net. I've posted before about the nightmare scenario of Almaty being the only bidder for 2026. Assuming Paris wins 2024, that eliminates a potential French bid. The Swiss have rejected bidding multiple times now. Can't see Munich giving it another go. Oslo? After the IOC lashed out at the city's withdrawal from 2022, I would imagine Norway wants nothing to do with the IOC? So who would be left? Italy? Sweden?

That's not how it works. The IOC does not determine who bids and who doesn't. Canada is obviously no stranger to the Olympic movement. Whether they bid or not is their NOC's decision and theirs alone. What back-door channels do you think are at play here to coax Canada into bidding? If they're interested and see an opportunity for 2026, they'll bid. Otherwise (perhaps if they have eyes on a summer bid), they will not. That the IOC needs a safety net is their problem, not Canada's. If that nightmare scenario comes to fruition, the Canadian NOC won't lose sleep over it.

And how does one "simply" raise the height of a mountain by 30 or so meters? What kind of magic is that?!! The term "simply" is more applicable to getting the IOC or FIS to accept a shorter course with a smaller vertical drop. That's simple. It's not like we're talking about a few meters here and maybe having some sort of platform. 30 meters is the equivalent of a mid-sized building. You're going to put that on top of a mountain? I don't think so.

But that one option is a really good one. Calgary has all the required venues, and would only need to make some upgrades to facilities. They would also have a very high chance of winning, whereas Toronto would be a longshot even if they commit to wasting billions of Canadian dollars on unneeded sporting venues.

This logic could also be applied to the U.S. Salt Lake City, like Calgary, has all the required venues & would only need to make some upgrades to facilities. But yet the USOC chose to go after a Summer bid instead, with initially choosing Boston with all the MEGA work that they still needed to do. And when that feel apart, they still decided to go with a summer bid with Los Angeles. And that still would require much more work than Salt Lake City.

Also Toronto's "longshot" odds (hypothetically for 2028) would probably be just as long as Los Angeles 2024. If Paris does indeed land the 2024 Olympics, North America would be in an extremely favorable spot to land 2028. And I could see either Los Angeles or Toronto (their best shot yet versus their previous two attempts) getting those. And like the USOC, I'm sure the COC would rather have a Summer Olympics before yet another winter Games. Afterall, the COC was all ready to jump in 2024 until Toronto got cold feet. And as to whether one thinks that Canada would be "wasting Billions on unneeded sporting venues" would be up to Canada. If they feel that they need to upgrade/add their Summer athletic facilities, then that's up to them to decide.

This logic could also be applied to the U.S. Salt Lake City, like Calgary, has all the required venues & would only need to make some upgrades to facilities. But yet the USOC chose to go after a Summer bid instead, with initially choosing Boston with all the MEGA work that they still needed to do. And when that feel apart, they still decided to go with a summer bid with Los Angeles. And that still would require much more work than Salt Lake City.

Canada is very obviously more of a winter sport country than the USA. Canada topped the medal table in Vancouver and their best result in the summer games was tying for 19th in Beijing.

Ask a bunch of Canadians what their first choice of a ticket to the Olympics would be, and 90% of them will say the gold medal match for ice hockey. Ask the same question of a bunch of Americans and 90% of them would list a summer sport event.

Also Toronto's "longshot" odds (hypothetically for 2028) would probably be just as long as Los Angeles 2024.

That's kind of the point. It's tougher even for a really good bid to win the summer games because of the stronger competition.

And like the USOC, I'm sure the COC would rather have a Summer Olympics before yet another winter Games. Afterall, the COC was all ready to jump in 2024 until Toronto got cold feet. And as to whether one thinks that Canada would be "wasting Billions on unneeded sporting venues" would be up to Canada. If they feel that they need to upgrade/add their Summer athletic facilities, then that's up to them to decide.

It's not up to the Canadian Olympic Committee, though. If it were up to the USOC I am certain they would choose a summer games in New York for their next bid. Too bad for them they can't force New York to spend billions on sporting venues New Yorkers don't want. And it's the same thing for the COC and Toronto.

I do not think the Canadian public wants the summer Olympics badly enough that they are willing to accept a repeat of Montreal 1976 in Toronto. Until Toronto finds a plan to build a lot of the venues that makes sense for the city, I would be astonished if they push forward a bid.

Edited by Nacre

Canada is very obviously more of a winter sport country than the USA. Canada topped the medal table in Vancouver and their best result in the summer games was tying for 19th in Beijing.

Ask a bunch of Canadians what their first choice of a ticket to the Olympics would be, and 90% of them will say the gold medal match for ice hockey. Ask the same question of a bunch of Americans and 90% of them would list a summer sport event.

Well, that's pretty much the point. What could make more of an impacting Olympic legacy in Canada than to promote more summer sports in that country? Much like what brought the first Winter Olympics to less winter sports South Korea over much, much more winter prowess Germany for the 2018 Winter Olympics. I think Canada would have much more to gain with Summer Olympics than yet another winter Games. The IOC would more than likely like that, too. They already know that Canada is great at the Winter Olympics, so I'm sure that they would love some headway there in the summer category.

That's kind of the point. It's tougher even for a really good bid to win the summer games because of the stronger competition.

Yeah, but like I said earlier, a 2028 (hypothetically heavily favored for North America) match up between Los Angeles & Toronto, would be much, much better odds for the Canadians than their previous two attempts (1996 & 2008). With Europe, Asia, South America, South Africa (& even Australia) out for 2028, then I wouldn't describe a hypothetical Toronto 2028 bid as a "longshot" when their only formidable opponent would be a two-time host city, Los Angeles.

It's not up to the Canadian Olympic Committee, though. If it were up to the USOC I am certain they would choose a summer games in New York for their next bid. Too bad for them they can't force New York to spend billions on sporting venues New Yorkers don't want. And it's the same thing for the COC and Toronto.

I do not think the Canadian public wants the summer Olympics badly enough that they are willing to accept a repeat of Montreal 1976 in Toronto. Until Toronto finds a plan to build a lot of the venues that makes sense for the city, I would be astonished if they push forward a bid.

I wouldn't liken the attitude between New York & Toronto as the same. If I were to bet, I'd be much more willing to say that an Olympic bid coming from Toronto in the near future is much more likely than one from New York. If Toronto had more time to decide & the timing to bid had been much more favorable for them this time around, then they probably would've placed a bid.

Well, that's for them to figure out, isn't it. But I think that saying a big flat out "no" at this point in time is quite premature, especially when looking from the outside in.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?

Building another sledding track and jump facility in Canada is totally irresponsible. Even if Quebec needed a 70,000 seat outdoor concert venue (which, let's be clear, is doesn't) it sure as hell doesn't need one outside the city where the ski jump would be.

But the bigger issue is that mountain thing. Just add 30m to a mountain???? Really? And in such a way that you have a world class 800m course, complete with room for stands and all the other accoutrements of the Olympics?

Just... no. Why go through all that when you've got a perfect good option in Calgary?

Adding 30m is sure as heck better than that temporary ramp/barges at the river proposal for 2002, or the totally environmentally irresponsible mountain inland, which had the vertical, but still landed at a river.

Adding 30m is sure as heck better than that temporary ramp/barges at the river proposal for 2002, or the totally environmentally irresponsible mountain inland, which had the vertical, but still landed at a river.

Tell us oh Lord, how does one "simply" add 30 metes to the height of a mountain? If that's such a sensible solution, please share with us how that one will work out?

Tell us oh Lord, how does one "simply" add 30 metes to the height of a mountain? If that's such a sensible solution, please share with us how that one will work out?

Wasn't there a Finnish bid that considered entering a race for the WOG if it managed to heighten its mountain for the downhill? Wonder how they were planning to do it.