PyeongChang 2018 Torch

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Funnily enough, that's exactly why I think PyeongChang will feature robots in a big way.

Just as London 2012's 007/Queen Elizabeth scene prevented Vladimir Putin from trying one of his macho stunts in Sochi 2014, so I think there will be an attempt to forestall any plans to promote Japanese robotics in Tokyo 2020.

I did a post in the Ceremonies thread mentioning a guy who works in robotics and who also worked at setting up a clockwork olympic themed montage at Seoul train station will participate on the Opening. So your theory might as well be very true. 

Interesting enough, the BBC wrote an article recently about Koreans and their love for robotics. 

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20171205-why-south-korea-is-an-ideal-breeding-ground-for-robots

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

UHmmm . . . not if the IOC AND NBC have anything to say about it.  But I bet they will.  They can't have machines doing the final lighting honors.  

Sure thing. When the IOC is so desperate these days to appeal to youngsters to like the Olympics. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're not even in Tokyo 2020 yet and yet we're already having Tokusatsu actors carrying the torch :lol: Yutaka Kobayashi, best known for performing one of the main protagonists in Kamen Rider Gaim (2013-2014) will carry the Olympic Flame, as a representative of Japan, next January 29

http://henshinjustice.com/blog/2018/01/18/kamen-rider-gaim-alum-becomes-2018-olympic-torchbearer/

• 1 month later...

Paralympic Torch relay begins at the traditional Flame Uniting Ceremony at Stoke Mandeville. You can watch it here.

https://www.channel4.com/news/paralympic-heritage-flame-lit-at-stoke-mandeville

180302_ptr%ED%96%89%EC%82%AC_pc_eng_2018

SSI_20180303225053_V.jpg

SSI_20180303224909_V.jpg

SSI_20180303225001.jpg

SSI_20180303225212.jpg

I see they went for a more industrial orange for the torchbearer uniforms instead of yellow. 

That was it??  An archer shoots a lit arrow to behind the screen; a wheelchair athlete w/ a litltorch comes out of nowhere; is pusphed up the stage to another one -- and that;s it???  After glorious lightings in 2012 and 2014, they have this??  OMG, how the mighty have fallen?!?!?  Kinda embarrassing.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That was it??  An archer shoots a lit arrow to behind the screen; a wheelchair athlete w/ a litltorch comes out of nowhere; is pusphed up the stage to another one -- and that;s it???  After glorious lightings in 2012 and 2014, they have this??  OMG, how the mighty have fallen?!?!?  Kinda embarrassing.  

It looks to me as if they had the same problem as PyeongChang itself: unexpectedly cold weather forced them to simplify their plans, and involve fewer people than originally intended ("fewer" in this case being a number not far off zero).