Sign in to follow this  
TeamBlakeUSA

PyeongChang 2018 Mascots

Ikarus360    457

Damnit, I was expecting an actual update, not this picture. :lol:

mattygs    255

board_61649_15649_thumb.jpg

Well these 2 snuck in the door quietly.

Seoul, June 2- The official mascots for the PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) are here. A white tiger named “Soohorang” and an Asiatic black bear named “Bandabi” will each represent the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Both animals appear in Korea’s foundation mythology and are closely associated with Korean culture and folklore.

I like them, the white Tiger especially. Not too cutesy and not too weird.

board_61649_15649_thumb.jpg

Seoul, June 2- The official mascots for the PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) are here. A white tiger named “Soohorang” and an Asiatic black bear named “Bandabi” will each represent the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Both animals appear in Korea’s foundation mythology and are closely associated with Korean culture and folklore.

Athan    45

Wow, I didn't see this coming! Had they announced they were going to launch the mascots today?

Although they're the same animals as Sochi's, they're not bad at all. I especially like the tiger too. The style is very nice, very Korean and modern. I could expect something similar for Tokyo 2020.

P.S. It's the first time since 1992 that there's only one Olympic Winter mascot! Good!

budse    7

They will officially launch the mascot next month in Seoul and PyeongChang.

Wow, I didn't see this coming! Had they announced they were going to launch the mascots today?

Although they're the same animals as Sochi's, they're not bad at all. I especially like the tiger too. The style is very nice, very Korean and modern. I could expect something similar for Tokyo 2020.

P.S. It's the first time since 1992 that there's only one Olympic Winter mascot! Good!

Ikarus360    457

I hope they show more pics/art of this duo next month, then, since so far they look very cute. Also I like they're references to both the Olympic and Paralympic mascots of 1988 (sharing the same animal species) but without being carbon copies of them like the white bear of Sochi (who was pretty much a recolored and chubbier Misha)

I like the tiger the most. The bear is also cute but he looks a bit too similar to the 2017 Universiade mascot

176274883.jpg

hektor    75

Strange choice given there are no tigers left in South Korea.

And also bears... sigh... ever heard of bile bears in Korea ? I hope the media go after the Koreans on this matter, given this choice of mascot.

Edited by hektor

Ikarus360    457

And also bears... sigh... ever heard of bile bears in Korea ? I hope the media go after the Koreans on this matter, given this choice of mascot.

Like I said before, Tigers are important in South Korea mythology and folk tales, and its pretty much the animal which represents them (the Korean football team badge having a tiger on it for example). Despite the fact they don't exist in the korean peninsula anymore.

I kinda heard about the bile thing and while its sad I think the only ones who are going to throw a tantrum about it will be Greenpeace or your typical liberal group, given they still cook dogs in some places and the media doesn't cares anymore.

Sir Rols    1821

You mean like England and lions?

• Like 1

Sir Rols    1821

The mascot of London 2012 was not a Lion.

But Manchester 2002 and the British team at 2012 in recent memory have used the lion. The thing is, the Lion has long been a recognised symbol for England - despite the fact the isles have had no lions in human memory to my knowledge. Similarly, Tigers, as explained by Ikarus, have a long tradition of being used to convey nationality in Korea - and they've at least had them on their peninsula in human memory. And the Koreans sure embrace it - just like these Korean fans I ran into at the handball in London:

tigerishkoreanfans.jpg

Should we also be asking the Chinese and Welsh to please stop all references to dragons? They're reserved for Westeros?

Edited by Sir Rols

Scotguy    323

But Manchester 2002 and the British team at 2012 in recent memory have used the lion.

I think Manchester 2002 Mascot was a cat...

Sir Rols    1821

Hmmm, I dunno. If you look at his tail, it looks more lionish than kitty catfish.

Edited by Sir Rols

mr.bernham    363
On 7/14/2016 at 6:52 AM, hektor said:

The mascot of London 2012 was not a Lion.

Yeah, it was two drops of steel infused with magic that brought them to life. When you think about it, steel that is alive is quite a fitting mascot for the east end.